all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pull ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mike23

Level 1 Valued Member
Hey guys i just wanna khow the rest time between sets on the fighter pull up programm?
Thanks For Help

Hey,

I already posted a comment about pull ups / chins up in another thread, but maybe that this one is better.

In my bodyweight session, I have a goal: I would like to do a one arm pull up (one for each arm, at the beginning). I use to do at least 100 stric pull ups a day, but I would like to do a more difficult movement. Does someone could explain me a protocol to achieve this goal ? (movement progession (classic pull up, one arm assisted pull up, then pull up, or whatever), a protocol or a specific program)

Thank you very much for your help !

Kind regards,

Pet'

In my bodyweight session, I have a goal: I would like to do a one arm pull up (one for each arm, at the beginning). I use to do at least 100 stric pull ups a day, but I would like to do a more difficult movement. Does someone could explain me a protocol to achieve this goal ?

One Arm Chin-up / Pull-up « Bodyweight Strength Training « Beast Skills

I fully endorse this tutorial. The assisted chinning section is what helped me progress from a single on the right arm (on a good day...) to reliably performing doubles, and a PR of three consecutive reps.

Take your time with this one--the road to the one arm chin tends to be a long one, and pushing too much too soon will only get you hurt and make the process even longer.

Hey,

@J Petersen
Thank you for your article / tutorial.

Currently, I can do one set of 3-4 reps "assisted chin ups" by arm, without helping me too much (I only use one finger, thanks to a handle I made) with the assisting arm.

To progress, do you you think I should increase the number of sets ? of reps ? both ? use weights ?

Besides, basing on your experience, should I practice every day (using gtg) or train day 1, rest day 2, train day 3,...

Once again, thank you !

Kind regards,

Pet'

It is difficult to gauge just how much help that one finger from the non-working side is actually providing us, though--that's where the assistance of a rope that doesn't stretch and a light weight on the floor comes in. I would also recommend investing in a small pulley for the bar and rope, so that there is zero friction (which would make the drill easier--we can't have that). Dudes who previously thought they were close by using that one finger suddenly find to their dismay that they weren't nearly as close to the one-armer as they thought after they try the pulley rope.

As the tutorial mentioned, if the non-working side is helping us too much, the weight comes off the floor, and we won't go anywhere. As a guideline, I believe that if you can't do this just yet with a 12 kilo kettlebell or less, don't even worry about this method until you can. Go back to weighted chins and work up to chinning yourself plus half bodyweight for at least a few doubles or triples, then give it another go.

Many ways to skin this cat for putting the plan into effect. I personally liked the GTG approach, and it was always a happy day to find I needed less and less weight tied to the other end of the rope as the weeks and months passed. However, these are very taxing, and we need looooong rest periods between reps. On that note, you might find your arms/elbows simply ache too much to GTG this one day in and day out. I'd recommend at least one day's rest in between, or maybe even two. At the risk of sounding redundant (did I already say that...?), we don't want to rush this process. Listen to your body, especially your elbows, and proceed with caution.

Hey,

Firstly, thank you for helping me.

I will use the pulley system with 11-12kg to begin, it should be easier to gauge progress. As I thought, I will use the GTG when I'll feel rested...I don't want to get hurted ! It worked so well to help me doing my pistol and one arm one leg progression.

Kind regards,

Pet'

It worked so well to help me doing my pistol and one arm one leg progression.

Keep those lessons in tension from the one arm/one leg technique in mind as you work on this new goal. In 2008, I was deployed to a place where there was no opportunity to do pullups--not good when the one armer is your long range goal. Instead, I put pure Naked Warrior to use and constantly GTG those OAOLPUs.

That first morning back in the free world after waking up in my own bed again, I left the bathroom and turned to face the bar screwed into the doorframe and decided to see for myself just how far my progress had backtracked. To my surprise and delight, I did my first strict one armed chinup on the right side.

Disclaimer: Don't hold your breath hoping to repeat this little miracle--that was probably a bit of an anomaly. Training FOR the event is still the best way to go. Just don't underestimate how important the tension learned from diligent Naked Warrior practice truly is.

Hey,

I set up the pulley system with a 11kg mass this evening, and of course I tried it.

It worked pretty well ! From a hanging position, I currently can do a half pull up (each arm), without helping myself. That way, I'll be able to control the assisting arm: the stronger I'll get, the lighter the mass will be.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

I have a little "method" question:

Is it interesting to gain strength to do slow pull ups (5 seconds rising up - 1 second high - 5 seconds getting down - 1 second down) and slow OAOL push (again with the 5 - 1 second) in both ladder and superset ?

Eg:
1 slow pull up
1 slow OAOL push up
2 slow pull ups
2 slow OAOL push ups
until 3 or 4

Kind regards,

Pet'

Keep those lessons in tension from the one arm/one leg technique in mind as you work on this new goal. In 2008, I was deployed to a place where there was no opportunity to do pullups--not good when the one armer is your long range goal. Instead, I put pure Naked Warrior to use and constantly GTG those OAOLPUs.

That first morning back in the free world after waking up in my own bed again, I left the bathroom and turned to face the bar screwed into the doorframe and decided to see for myself just how far my progress had backtracked. To my surprise and delight, I did my first strict one armed chinup on the right side.

Honestly I do not believe. Not in a "you're a lier, go away" disbelief. But in a "I worked on heavy pull up work for many months until I reached my OACU, and I can't even comprehend how you could get there by only doing OAPUs" kind of disbelief hahaha. Like a good kind of disbelief hehd. A little jealous too!

Seriously that's just incredible. Heck even once I started consistently one arm chinning, it took me weeks until they actually were strict (like full ROM and no kipping). Good stuff brother thank you for sharing.

@305pelusa, we have also had several stories of people achieving a one-arm pullup by working on their military press, with a strong focus on the active negative.

-S-

Hello,

Is there any opinion about my previous post about supersets and slow reps ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Is there any opinion about my previous post about supersets and slow reps ?
Exaggeratedly slow lifting has its place, just don't make a steady diet of it but it's good once in a while.

-S-

@305pelusa, we have also had several stories of people achieving a one-arm pullup by working on their military press, with a strong focus on the active negative.

-S-
Steve, I understand carry-over due to high tension can be large. In fact dramatic. But this is like saying that you can suddenly do a One-arm Push-up, by only training two arm push-ups with high tension. Heck, not even, since those are two pushing movements. So it'd be like working up to a OAPU by only doing two arm rows. And also not even, because a OACU takes about a year of consistent practice. So it'd be like working up to a foot-elevated, One-arm, one leg push-up, with a noticeable amount of weight added, by only doing two arm bodyweight rows.

That's sort of how I see reaching a OAP by only doing military presses. Even the reverse sounds absurd. Like reaching a 400 lb bench (probably takes about a year of training) by only doing weighted pull-ups.

Again, I'm not saying these are lies, please. My mind just can't wrap itself around building up SO MUCH strength without no specific training. It's probably because building up to a OACU was such a long and difficult road for me and I'm starting to realize just how amazingly difficult it is, taking many months of hard consistent training, that I just can't admit that someone else could just press their way to it hahaha. Mind-blowing!

I believe one of our Team Leaders just posted that he'd done a one-arm pushup recently without any pushup training at all.

It's what we call the "what the heck" effect around here.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom