all posts post new thread

Bodyweight pullups...getting full range of motion at the top...hints?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

crazycanuck

Level 9 Valued Member
I normally hang out in my training journal and the kettlebell side of the forum but figure this is the ultimate place to ask....have been working on goal of achieving a pullup someday (female here)

Have been doing dead hangs with overhand grip and scapula pulled in/hollow position for time, and using the underhand grip been practicing slow negatives from the top as well as just staying in chinup position above the bar until almost failure (max time with that has been 36 sec). This has been in the context of a program that is getups/swings on one day, alternating with pulls (doing the aforementioned exercises) and crawling the other day, 5 days a week 10 min allotted time per exercise. I have been doing this for almost 3 months. I did attempt some grease the groove dead hangs with pullup grip on the non-pull/crawl days, several attempts a day spaced well apart, but eliminated that after a few weeks when the upper back started feeling quite weary and was in general feeling a bit underrecovered (also have a fair bit of pulling/transferring/lifting on the job).

Today, attempted a pull with chinup grip and with overhand thumbless grip. For chinup grip, can get eye level to the bar. For overhand grip can get to just a tad past 90 degree elbow flexion and the bar is still a few inches above my head. This was done with no support from the bottom.

Initiating from the bottom and going through the middle part of the movement seems ok, it's the last 1/3 of it where I don't have strength to get over the bar. Focused on the following --not looking up at the bar, getting scapula in position, squeezing abs/glutes/legs and not swaying while I pulled, and trying to drive elbows backwards and "pull the bar from the ceiling" as I was nearing the top. Just can't get that last part (yet ;) ) and feel like I get stuck.

Looking for a few hints anyone could share to nail that last part of the movement. Anything like lowering from the top to the sticking point/trying to pull self back up etc?

My only equipment at home are two bars (one with the ability to re-install to do bodyweight rows although I would rather leave it upstairs for GTG attempts should I go back to that), kettlebells, and a few resistance bands (not the loop around the feet kind) Ideally I would not want to go to a gym. I have researched a few programs online, but have not committed to one yet, especially when I have come across some that are almost 100.00 in my currency. Or, have got some free ones, but have not been what I thought.

Thanks everyone..!

Couple of things:
  1. Do some negative Frenchies: Cost =$0
  2. Use a chair in front of you to support some of your weight: Cost =$0 (assuming you own a chair)
  3. Rig up a pulley counterweight system: Cost = $0 to $60 depending on what you have on hand
Pull-ups should be free...

Yeah, just use controlled negatives. Jump up, hold for a bit, lower yourself under control. Those have great carry-over to proper chinups. Bent-arm hangs at the top are great too. Just make sure you don't overdo it by doing too much too soon :)

Lots of good suggestions there. +1 for bent-arm hangs: Getting 'comfortable' at your sticking should teach you how to break through it.

Keep at it!

You might consider assisted pullups with a gymnastic band (the stronger the band the easier the move). That way you work all parts of the movement and can really concentrate on your sticking points.

That way you could do frenchies: Pull up to the top position and hold isometricly for a 3-5 count, lower to ~90 degree and pause again, lower to an active hang and pause again --> 1 rep. This will build strength in all positions and by choosing an appropriate resistance band you can really work according to your strength level.

Last edited:
I would add half chin ups. Up to 90 degree flexion, back down.

But also, I wouldnt change much in your training as it sounds like time is the current factor, not method.

Great progress..

I think you're doing the right things already, you've clearly made progress. It's just a slow process.

That said, one thing I did when working towards a first pullup was some "jump assist" reps: stand on something while grabbing the bar, dip down low enough to fully extend your arms, then push off with your feet just enough that you can get to the top of the pullup. Then a nice slow negative. It's like using assistance, but only on the way up; you're on your own coming back down.

Put a stool in front of you to support your legs. (Put your heels on the stool so that your torso and legs form an "L".) Start with 5 sets of 5 pull ups with 2-3 minutes rest between sets. Add a set every day until you reach 10 sets, then repeat the process the same way, but with only one leg supported. If you still can't do an unassisted pull up, hang 10-20 lbs of weight from your hips and repeat the process again.

Work this plan three days per week so you recover adequately. Good luck.

Pull up negatives for sure. Add some static holds (mostly at the top) once they become a little easier.

Also not sure if correct or not but I think you're a female (?). I think you even broke a hand at some point no? If so, mad props for being so close to full ROM pull ups. You're accomplishing an exercise most women (and most men at that) simply cannot fathom. To me, that kind of drive is inspirational. Awesome work.

Do you belong to a fitness center? About 7 months ago I had to start with assisted pull-ups and there is a machine for this at the fitness center I attend. I used a machine with maybe about 60-70% of my bodyweight. Then, I would do grease the groove, as you may already know low reps (1-5) but leave some left in the tank. I continued this with GTG and slowly built up my strength to regular bodyweight pullups. All of the above replies are already great tips but just adding what I've done. I've also seen people use bands for assist and this could be done as well. One more thing that has helped me. There are a couple articles on the SF website about the importance of rib positioning and core engagement and how this relates to shoulder health and stability. This is something I've tried to focus on during pullups... moving your body as a single unit and not just trying to pull with your arms.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom