all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Pursuing solid

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anders

Level 6 Valued Member
Hey,

so I am 34 year old, average weight and have been doing kettlebells for a couple of years. After four-five months of dedicated effort I have reached Timeless Simple. In terms of the swings, I am a bit curious about what to do.

I think ten reps with 36 kilo will be a bit too heavy. 5 reps was completely OK when I tried it.

I also looked at some of the program that Hector Gutierrez junior has made. He also recommends ladders when doing swings.

Any suggestions about how I could reach solid in the best and fastest way ?

For the time being I do not have access to a 40 kilo kettlebell. I only have 24, 28, 32 and the 36.

I would be grateful for all suggestions.

Anders

I have just made the transition to 24 kg. The first time I tried it one handed, more than 5 swings did not feel right. The S&S 2.0 suggestion would be to shake it off and do another set of 5 with the same hand about 15 seconds later.

Personally I just did 10x5 one handed, with 2 sets with the heavier bell, and 10x10 two handed. Two weeks later I could easily do sets of 10.

Maybe this would work for you, too. Maybe increase the number of training days and split the volume. You know: Quality over quantity - easy strength - submaximal loads and frequent training.

But others are more qualified than me. Congratulations on achieving Timeless Simple, btw! :)

I would argue that you should continue with the 32kg until you can complete timed Simple. After that, begin adding the 36kg a few sets at a time until that is all you are using, and continue working toward the timed goal again.

Personal opinion, progressing to the next level without having completed (attained) the prior level seems more like an exercise in vanity than a strength goal. Pushing to the next level too soon may come with its own set of problems.

I think ten reps with 36 kilo will be a bit too heavy. 5 reps was completely OK when I tried it.

I like sets of 5. Make sure all 5 swings, including your first swing of the set, are good and powerful.

Revised & Updated S&S has you stay with 10 swings per set in almost all cases, but there is a note on page 65 that allows less reps per set if you have trouble with your grip. Is it your grip that limits the duration of a set with 36kg currently?

Today, everything just seemed fatigued, both my grip and my hamstrings. I will buy some sandpaper. I am using liquid chalk. All the time.

I guess it would be wise to stay on the 32 a bit longer. Maybe also play around with fewer reps, and light days.

Ah. I was really looking forward to introducing a new bell, but I guess I have to postpone it.

so I am 34 year old, average weight and have been doing kettlebells for a couple of years. After four-five months of dedicated effort I have reached Timeless Simple. In terms of the swings, I am a bit curious about what to do.
Timed tests still mean something and is still the measuring stick in V2.0
* Start "down" testing once a week with the 24kg and/or 28kg
* Keep getting plenty of "timeless" volume with the 32kg
* As you feel up to it, do one set (per side) of 36kg. Use rest-pause method to complete 10 reps if need be. Don't add another set until you can do 10 straight. Do heavier sets when you are the "freshest"

Timed test with a lower weight will help with:
* Breathing technique for endurance & recovery between sets
* "Just enough" lactic acid to speed recovery and trigger hypertophy.

Good Luck!

Your grip will get stronger over time.. for now, work up to dominating timed simple and adding power to your swings done with talk test dictated rest periods

Might be the time to build some easy volume with the 32, for example A+A with sets of 5 for 6 weeks or so. Maybe doing two handed sessions with the 36 here and there.

Today, everything just seemed fatigued, both my grip and my hamstrings. I will buy some sandpaper. I am using liquid chalk. All the time.

I guess it would be wise to stay on the 32 a bit longer. Maybe also play around with fewer reps, and light days.

Ah. I was really looking forward to introducing a new bell, but I guess I have to postpone it.

Stay with the program and follow all instructions mentioned above and you will get there!

If in doubt, give yourself a good month of really riding that owned 32kg. For me it really made a difference. But don’t try to fit in the timed standard. Abuse the 32kg in single hand swings and the 36kg in doubles. Don’t push yourself on every session to use the biggest bell if your hands are not up to the challenge, this can cock up your form and power production. For TGU try a couple of sessions of two continuous reps with same hand, first with 24kg and later with next bell. Extend the pauses as well. This all helps to further solidify your grip.

Keep up the good work, let us know of your progress. Good luck!

Last edited:
Can you do getups with the 36 already??

If yes, that would train you to get a feel of it for swings later on..

And yes, don't hesitate to do 2h swings with the 36kg for now..

I would argue that you should continue with the 32kg until you can complete timed Simple. After that, begin adding the 36kg a few sets at a time until that is all you are using, and continue working toward the timed goal again.

Personal opinion, progressing to the next level without having completed (attained) the prior level seems more like an exercise in vanity than a strength goal. Pushing to the next level too soon may come with its own set of problems.

I don’t think you’ve understood the book. After completing Timeless Simple you should continue with adding a heavier bell, phased in 4 weeks at a time. In fact the general rule is you should be jumping up to 40kg from 32kg, rather than 36kg. Timed Simple will come about with Friday practice where you go all out for time with a lighter bell, plus the fact that using the heavier bell will make the 32kg feel much lighter.

I don’t think you’ve understood the book. After completing Timeless Simple you should continue with adding a heavier bell, phased in 4 weeks at a time. In fact the general rule is you should be jumping up to 40kg from 32kg, rather than 36kg. Timed Simple will come about with Friday practice where you go all out for time with a lighter bell, plus the fact that using the heavier bell will make the 32kg feel much lighter.
I understand it quite well. The OP asked for opinions on progressing to sinister, I offered mine. I agree with going up to the 40kg, but again, the OP does not currently have one.

I understand it quite well. The OP asked for opinions on progressing to sinister, I offered mine. I agree with going up to the 40kg, but again, the OP does not currently have one.
And I would say using the 36kg would be in keeping with the spirit of the revised program than chugging away with the 32kg until you get the time down. The timed achievement should come naturally as one gets stronger with the swing and getup.

Gentlemen if I may,

Both points are valid, no use escalating things...

Let us conduct ourselves as students of strength and part of that is knowing there is more than one approach to the goal. As long as safety is not compromised there is nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree

Just my humble 2 cents

Thanks for all the replies.

I think vanity and impatience definitely can plan a role in reducing the progress by wanting to jump to a kettlebell size that I am not ready for.

For the time being I am also trying to reduce my weight so that might also impede my progress in the S&S.

Lately I have been able to be less impatient, and more be able to play around with the weight. I think also training with lighter weights like 24 and 20 kilo makes me able to observe myself and perfect my performance. It also gives me a real experience of what it means to be explosive.

Hey all you Solid pursuers!

I was wondering how you guys are programming your training at this stage, as suggested by the updated book. Do you do 3 or 4 sessions a week? Do you do 2H swings every 3 sessions? Do you do weekly timed sessions with previous bell?

Personally I’m doing only 3 sessions per week. Better recovery, especially during this lockdown time. I was wondering if anyone uses all the above mentioned ‘variety’ with only 3 days a week training.

@Molson: I reached timeless simple one week ago. My plan is to Train around every other day. And I will "test" about once a week, and have easy days when I feel like it, probably around every other or every third work-out.

Question:

1) TGU: Should you change side with each rep, so that you do one rep left, one rep right, or do you do five reps right and then five reps left ?

2) Do you sometimes do more than ten reps ? So that sometimes you try to do let us say 30 reps pr. side, just to do some glycolytic training once every other week or so ?

3) On my easy day I do some sets of 24 kilo 2h swing. If I do it really powerfully I am able to get the bell at the level of my head or above. Should I just accept it, should I stop it with an active eccentric or should I do it less powerfully ?

@Molson: I reached timeless simple one week ago. My plan is to Train around every other day. And I will "test" about once a week, and have easy days when I feel like it, probably around every other or every third work-out.

Question:

1) TGU: Should you change side with each rep, so that you do one rep left, one rep right, or do you do five reps right and then five reps left ?

2) Do you sometimes do more than ten reps ? So that sometimes you try to do let us say 30 reps pr. side, just to do some glycolytic training once every other week or so ?

3) On my easy day I do some sets of 24 kilo 2h swing. If I do it really powerfully I am able to get the bell at the level of my head or above. Should I just accept it, should I stop it with an active eccentric or should I do it less powerfully ?

Well done with timeless Simple!

1. Change every rep, but, read below

2. It’s not by the book but it’s worth giving it a go from time to time. Continuous reps are good measuring stick for being ready for a heavier bell. And, for me, more instructive in the last phase of the get down as you need to keep your lat and shoulder loaded for another shot. But don’t go to crazy, start with a 24kg.

3. Change it for 1HS with 24kg or 2Hs with 32kg. Enjoy the long float but don’t try going over your head level, it engages arms too much rather than comes from the hip snap.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom