all posts post new thread

Pursuit of My Abilities

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
That is an exceptionally good book!
Funny that lately I've been moving away from that template as I've become more honest with myself about my actual lacking need of endurance beyond 5 minutes of a fight. I've been shifting my training more toward anaerobic and aerobic power rather than capacity. Ragnar in September will suck for it though ?

My work schedule is starting to conflict with training six days per week - necessary for the rolling split. One of the nice things about high frequency programs like S&S or PTTP is that if you miss a day here and there, it doesn't really effect anything.

I may simply just do all strength work two days per week and two conditioning days so i have more flexibility with my weekly schedule. That's essentially what the last couple years had been and it is easier to sustain for long periods. However, I'll shift those conditioning days to more focus on short duration energy system training and much less on LISS.

I've been Sumo deadlifting for a few months now and I don't care for it. I prefer conventional due to simply the alignment my body takes to display power and strength.

I've been working on wave progressions for a few months and I prefer either longer term step loading or contrast loading working up to a max one day and doing some sort of volume based on that max the other day. Those two can probably exist together by doing a max effort one day and doing a step progression the second day instead of basing the second day in the max day.

When i was doing max effort and dynamic effort, I'm not sure the dynamic effort was contributing as much benefit as a repetition effort would and I've heard of guys like Mark Bell and Matt Wenning say that dynamic effort days aren't very productive for lower level athletes which I would consider myself as.

I've had better success with max effort work and flat step loading more than anything. Both also seem to be more aligned to competitive season training which I'm perpetually in. I feel like I've done so many programs over the last twenty years and I'm just now starting to understand why each one has been good or bad for me at each time.

As a tactical athlete I need a flexible schedule, working close to max at all times, and train strength and conditioning concurrently. Though conditioning doesn't/shouldn't be as opposed to strength as I've historically trained it to be.

I received Q&D recently as a gift and I think it would make a great replacement for what have been historically LISS days. I have some more trialing of it to see if it offers anything over other A+A style efforts.

Overall, I think my training will become less structured and more variable while staying within much narrower perimeters. Lift heavy, comfortably; run fast, comfortably. I once heard a podcast with John Welbourn say something to the effect of, [if you want to be able to lift heavy, then lift heavy. If you want to be able to run fast, then run fast]. Easy enough and I think I am acctually understanding the details involved to implement it.

Tried the two movement 5/4 protocol from Q&D with swings and the skierg today. I really like those two antagonistic movements. Power stayed higher on the skierg alternating with swings than it did the last time I did the 5/4 with the single movement of the skierg. Q&D protocols do seem to fit the bill well for a tactical athlete. Perhaps that will become my go to for in-the-gym energy system training one day of the week and use one of the weekend days for longer energy system training.

I like longer A+A and shorter Q&D sessions for conditioning when looking at two sides of the anaerobic coin. I still need to do some VO2 max intervals periodically to work on that steady state aerobic power but I don't know how often or what the ratios should be. I felt pretty confident with 3:1 aerobic to anaerobic training and 2:1 strength to endurance training in the past but these protocols are blurring the lines for me to try and establish a rule of thumb. I don't think that VO2 max intervals need to be done all that often if using the Q&D protocols regularly.

Here is the polar reading from the ski/swing 5/4 protocol. The ski set got the heart rate a little higher than the swing sets. What I do notice is the consistency of the high and lows from each cluster and why the time measurements are what they are. I saw a friend that could chug a beer like a champion, 20oz in under 3 seconds. He said, "it's all about the pour." If he poured too slow or too fast, the swallow and volume didn't align. Q&D is an example of chugging energy like a champion. Q&D protocols are perfectly calculated. Perhaps they're too rigid for some but I really like using a timer to reduce the variables in my training to see objective increases or decreases in performance. In that case, something like A+A makes sense to just get the total volume and not worry about the density. A+A is a little more free-spirit training with a time hack on the minimum rest side only.

Q&D
Q&D_5-4_Ski-Swing.PNG

Compared to VO2 max intervals, they have some similarities in overall shape of the repeats but the VO2 max intensity isn't quite being reached in the Q&D. I don't think that means that it wouldn't improve but it's probably not quite as good at focusing on aerobic power because of the focus on anaerobic power which makes sense.

VO2 Max Intervals
VO2max_interval.PNG

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom