all posts post new thread

Pursuit of My Happiness

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Been out of the gym for the last 2 weeks after a minor outpatient surgery to prevent any stitches from opening. Good to be back though.

Sumo DL: 135x5; 225x3; 315x3,2,2,1 (Superset with 1/1x TGU @ 24kg)

Press: 60x8; 80x8; 100x8,7,6,5,4 (Superset with 25x 2H Swing @ 24kg)

Everything just plain feels better when my day starts with moving some weight around.

Front Squat: 185x5; 225x3,2,2,1 (Superset with 5x Pull-Ups) Pull-ups felt strong; not sure if I will add weight or reps next though.

Bench Press: 135x5; 185 @ 5x5 (Superset with 30x 2H Swing @ 24kg) The 24kg is pretty light and makes it hard to stay explosive but the gym doesn't have anything heavier and I don't want to bring my own from home with me.

Trying to use only 45s and 25s for all my barbell work. It's challenging to identify rep schemes that fit but I like the simplicity of putting some weight on the bar and just getingt to it. The lack of load variability is forcing focus on simply getting quality reps in. So far, schemes similar to the fighter pull-up progressions seem like they will work well - only time will tell ;-)

Front Squat 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 185x8, 185x8, 185x8

Bench Press 135x5, 185x5, 185x5, 185x5, 185x5, 185x5

2x 1min:3min hill sprint

I have had the same issue bench wise. I was fooling around with a 32 the other day and could press it on both sides with ease yet my bench has dropped a ton.

Haven't bench pressed in quite some time, felt pretty weak. I was a little surprised with losing bench press strength even though my kettlebell strength has increased. I hadn't realized it was as specific as it appears to be. I think I am going to work with a static weight in my lifts and increase my volume substantially before increasing the weight similar to using KBs. I feel like adjusting the weight too much doesn't build the same amount of strength intimacy. I intend to work on all my barbell lifts more simply, similar to the fighter pull-up program or ROP.

Sorry, I messed that up. I was just passing on that I have had similar issues regarding the bench press. My kb press goes up and my bench press continues to plummet.

EMOM (10min)
3x Snatch @ 32kg

EMOM (5min)
3x Double Snatch @ 2x24kg

Grip is the weak point, I find double snatches substantially easier than heavier singles. Hadn't ever considered my swings being slow as an autonomic compensation for a weak grip until reading a thread recently - that is definitely the case and the reason TGU are much easier than swings for me. Going to continue my snatch workouts with heavier weight, low volume instead of high rep at "snatch weight". Will ensure I get a dose of snatches every other week in addition to swings and will focus on crushing the handle more than I had been.

Attachments

• Happiness.pdf
    274.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited by a moderator:
I like how you call the .pdf attachment "Happiness" :)

Sumo DL: 135x5; 225x5; 315x3,3,2,1 (superset with 1/1x TGU @ 24kg)
Press: 65x5; 95x5; 115x5,5,5,5,5 (superset with 25x 2H swings @ 24kg)

Really busy last week and did not train at all :(. Felt great coming back this week though. I'm really liking using a static working weight on the barbell and increasing volume to adjust the load. I feel like my movements are more crisp. Still haven't quite figured out the rep schemes for my pressing though. I like fighter pull-up scheme for squats and DLs. I felt like starting with 3 reps in the presses was not enough volume so I'm adjusting to be more in the 5-8 rep range.

Waiting for the gym to purchase a 32 and 40; I don't feel like I'm getting what I want out of the 24 they have. I feel like I get better technique practice with a heavier weight; I may end up breaking up this day and doing the swings and getups at home with my 32 and maybe invest in a 40 - I just thought of what I'll suggest on my x-mas list ;).

Tuesday
60min Run

Today
Front Squat 135x5, 185x5, 225x3/3/2/1/1 (superset with pull-ups 6/5/4/3/2)
Bench Press 135x5, 155x3, 185x3, 205x3/2/1/1 (superset with 25x 2H Swing @ 24kg)

Still hoping the gym purchases some heavier bells. I am having a love/hate relationship with the program I'm doing. It is hard to throttle back the volume and intensity to use a static working weight with a barbell and make very slow incremental increases in volume. However, I know that if I were to stick with a static weight and bump it 20lbs for upper body and 50 lbs for lower body each year, it will create a new homeostasis for my body. Slow and steady...very slow...we'll see

When I have hit the base gyms that don't have the biggest of bells I just grab two 20kg bells and do double swings. It's a pain having big legs but I can get my swings in.

Good call. They only have the one, I may do it with dumbbells until they do though which I hadn't considered until your post.

However, I know that if I were to stick with a static weight and bump it 20lbs for upper body and 50 lbs for lower body each year, it will create a new homeostasis for my body. Slow and steady...very slow...we'll see
it's a gem. adaptation: stick - static (with waving) - homeostasis

OTM (10min)
3x longcycle @ 32kg

OTM (20min)
3x longcycle @ 2x24kg

Worked out today face to face with my wife. it was nice synchronizing our reps, who knows what would have happened if the kids were out of the house :cool::rolleyes:;)

Would like to get a HR monitor for some objective data to better set my reps and weight. Today seemed a little on the light side but I did break a sweat.

E3M (5 sets)
2x Sumo DL @ 315
1/1x TGU @ 24kg

E3M (5 sets)
5x Press @ 115
10-20x 2H swing @ 24kg

Tried using a timer today. E3M = every third minute. Had ~2 min rest between sets. Really liked having a timer; it helped me not start a set as soon on some and helped keep me on task on other sets. Also, feel this will help keep my progress more objective. Every 4 minutes might be better if going heavier.

Did a set of conv. DL in the middle; seemed to fly off the floor. I was a little concerned it would feel weak after only pulling sumo for the last 2 months but it felt really strong. I think my back was plenty strong and the sumos are improving my hip power to pull faster in my conv DL. I think it will be important to eventually alternate styles each DL session.

Bench Press: 45x5, 95x5, 135x5, 205x3-3-3 (Superset with 3x Box Jump)
Snatch Grip Deadlift: 135x5, 225x5, 225x8, 275x5 (Superset with 5x Dip)
Pause Back Squat: 135x5, 185x5, 225x3, 185x3-3-3 (Superset with 3x Pull-Ups)

Over the last couple months I had been sumo deadlifting and felt a significant difference in the ease of my conventional deadlift. I think I am going to add some additional variations of more movements to help improve weaknesses and balance even more.

I've been enjoying limiting my weight changes to 20lb upper and 50lb lower. Putting less emphasis on X% at X reps and just doing a volume that feels appropriate to the weight I decide to use that day. It probably will limit the speed of my progress but I have confidence the progress will be permanent.

Edit:
A few hours since training this morning: The snatch grip deadlifts I can feel worked my upper-mid back in a new way. I think adding these will help strengthen this area not usually hit with other movements and strengthen my other lifts.

Last edited by a moderator:
OTM (20min)
3x Snatch @ 32kg

5/5x Press @ 32kg

3x8 Press @ 2x24kg

2x30 Walking Lunge @ 2x24kg

Grip felt better this week. I think it helps training more in the gym with some barbells. Feeling mentally stressed today so I did more than I planned to try and take my mind off it. Did the lunges outside on the gravel with bare feet. It was cold and they went a little numb after 2 sets. Wanted to keep going with some conditioning but figured it would do more harm than good in the big picture... Dear Diary..geez huh?

Hang Power Clean & Press: 3x7 @ 95#
Conv. Deadlift: 135x3, 185x3, 225x3, 275x3, 315x3, 315x3
6x 30:30 Row @ 2x BW Watts

Spent the long weekend preparing for 2017. Spent quite a bit of time reviewing what I liked and disliked about my training in 2016. Wouldn't say I had an epiphany but I did really critique what my goals are/were.

Keep:
  1. Large plate jumps on the barbell (its so simple and significant)
Change:
  1. I will be taking out my weekly run and replacing it with another barbell day. I don't have a goal to be a runner and if/when the time comes to train for it, I will give a few weeks to training specifically for it.
  2. I am adding in a bunch of assistance/variations movements to strengthen some weaknesses and improve durability.
  3. I intend to perform conditioning in short bouts after my strength training. The last few years, the only periods that improved my physique were periods when this was part of my program. I'm not sure if it's my body type but 2016 did not include it and my body composition is the worst its ever been - kind of wish I would have put the 2016 book down before getting so many chapters in.
  4. Reduce kettlebell volume. I don't actually have any goals that the kettlebells are getting me to.

Bench Press: 2x3 @ 135, 2x3 @ 155, 2x3 @ 185, 2x3 @ 205 (superset with band pull apart)
Zercher Squat: 95x7, 135x7, 185x7, 225x7 (Superset with 3x pull-up)
4x 30:30 elliptical sprints @ 1.5x BW watts

Extra bench press volume felt good. Band Pull apart felt good on my shoulders - I think these will help everything. Haven't done zercher squats in long time - ouch! Need to build that elbow resilience back up. Hollow position on my pull-ups felt really poor/weak today.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom