all posts post new thread

Pursuit of My Happiness

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Interesting thoughts and challenges. Where you are headed sounds wise. Do you ever use a HR monitor when you do your OTM work?

I expect to receive one tomorrow for my B-Day! I have just been going with 10-15s work with 45-50s rest and maintaining a feeling that it is really easy. I used to have a HR monitor I used for cycling but haven't trained using HR in a decade or so. I have never used one for strength training so I am looking forward to this year knowing what is going on here at SF and trying more biofeedback oriented training.

Awesome... A good birthday present! I think you will find it interesting. "Feeling that it is really easy" sounds like you're on the right track. You might want to do several sessions exactly as you do them now, just record, and see what it looks like before you make any changes.

Yesterday
10min Yoga
5min Crawling

Testing out my new HRM! Trying the Elite HRV app also. Have a plan to perform 1 of 3 training sessions based on HRV score - yoga and crawling on recovery days, running on moderate days, and higher intensity running or KB (snatch, C&J, or TGU) on high days. During my endurance months I will do more running on high days and KB during my power endurance months.

Today
5min Crawling
10min Snatching @ 32kg
5min Yoga

Doing 3 rep sets every ~40 seconds kept me around 140bpm for 14 sets. Stopped once my HR starting spiking higher from the sets. Not sure if that is a good time to stop or not but didn't have much more time anyway. Want to test a normal OTM session but I was too excited to see what going by HR felt like.

Friday
30min Run

Today
10min Crawling
14min Clean & Jerk @ 16kg (hand change every 1min @ ~8rpm)
5min Yoga

HR monitor is making a significant difference in my thoughts. Makes it really easy to mange volume appropriate to the bell size for different effects. Would have like to go longer on the C&Js today but was already running late for work.

Reactions: DCM
Wednesday
6x TGU @ 32kg
20min Run

HRV said 5 sympathetic and to take it easy. Weird because I woke up feeling strong and ready to go.

Today
6x 20:40 Snatch @ 32kg (7-8 reps each interval)
rest
6x 20:40 Clean & Jerk @ 32kg (4 reps each interval)
rest
6 OTM
1x TGU @ 32kg
rest
6x 20:40 Elliptical Sprint (~400 watts each interval)

Woke up feeling a little sick but the HRV said 9 parasympathetic and to go hard so I did and it felt great. That's two days in a row where the HRV was opposite of how I felt and I'm glad I listened to it instead of myself - the body lies to us.

Todays session I went with something I used to do but tracked it with the HRM. To me it looks really well structured for hitting the different training zones. A bit more intense than the way I've been shifting my training and it felt great. I could feel my body relaxing afterward.
upload_2017-2-23_9-12-40.png

Start of a new month of training. This month will be all PFT oriented. The last couple months have been pretty unstructured and trying to do more running and work out some ideas and concepts. Time to get a little more focused though.

Today
1-12 (1)
Sit-Up
Push-Up

1-5-1 (1) Pull-Up

4min Hill Tempo Run

Yesterday
20min Run

Today
Superset (17 sets)
2x Bench Press @ 45-205# (10# jumps)
2x Decline Sit-Up @ 0-80# (5# jumps)

Superset (17 sets)
2x Bent Row @ 45-205# (10# jumps)
2/2x 18" Dumbbell Step-up @ 2x 0-80# (5# jumps)

Last year I experimented with big weight jumps on the barbell and liked it. If I were to do this workout again, I may do multiple sets at a single weight using bigger weight jumps to get the same total volume. I like that my bench press and bent row are well balanced and my step-up and decline sit-up. I think using primarily kettlebells really helps keep things balanced.

Yesterday
20min recovery jog

Today
3x Ladders
5-10-15 Sit-Up
5-10-15 Push-Up
1-2-3 Pull-Up

3x 75m Hill Sprint

Have stayed a 9 or 10 on my HRV all week. Next week will increase volume and see what numbers it keeps it me at.

1-14(1)
Sit-Up
Push-Up

1-5-1(1) + 5x1 Pull-Up

4x 20:160 Sprint

Lost my phone, so no more HRV tracking but last week was all 9 and 10 so I'm not terribly concerned about adding a little volume. I realize that that Polar Flow software has a recovery status but it's all based on activity accumulation so I don't know how accurate it is in comparison to HRV but I will give it a go and see how I feel.

Yesterday
40min Run

Today
16 Rounds
3x Bench Press @ 45-195 (10# jumps)
3x Decline Sit-Up @ 0-75 (5# jumps)

15 Rounds
3x Bent Row @ 45-185 (10# jumps)
3/3x 18" Step-Up @ 2x 0-70 (5# jumps)

Grip was a limiting factor with the step-ups and rows today. I got the format for small incremental open ended sets from a lift big eat big program and like the format of many sets to build volume. It's also very easy to gauge fatigue as the sets add up. Thought about changing the format to multiple sets at each weight with bigger jumps but figured I would leave it alone while I have access to the 5# plates. Would like to see what my HRV is to compare it to the Polar Flow data but I don't intend to replace my phone just for the HRV app.

The last couple months I have been reducing my digital footprint and minimizing my electronic life. I ditched my smart phone, cancelled a bunch of accounts and profiles. This is one of the few I have decided to keep. Since my last post, this is what I have done
  1. PFT training program - good program continuing where my log left off; ended up not pursuing anything with it though
  2. Gym Jones program with my wife - good program but only want that intensity, volume, and time commitment sporadically
  3. Running program with my daughter for her track - KB work got weak, joints started to hurt, small muscle tear in calf
Long story short, back to the pursuit of my happiness. Some things I have taken away from the last couple months are:
  1. Any programs with specific days for specific things are tough to maintain due to missing sessions, time restraints, etc. I will migrate to "anything worth doing, is worth doing everyday" style of training. For me, that is the get-up. I will add and subtract a few other things circumstantially but the get-up and variations will be the foundation for me.
  2. Barbells put weight on me really fast, even extremely low volume. I won't be using a barbell very frequently.
  3. Weekend training is pretty inconsistent for me. I will probably get all weekend activity from chores or recreation
Today
E2M (40min)
2x Clean & Jerk @ 32kg
1x Get-Down

Yesterday
10x10 Swing
10x1 TGU

Today
3 Rounds
2x1 TGU
2x2 Clean & Press
2x3 Snatch
2x4 Clean & Jerk
2x5 Swing

Starting each set when heart rate dropped to 110 (starting ~every 60-90 seconds). Working on some progressions of S&S so I can use one weight for longer and add some variability to my training. I will develop some testing criteria for myself to identify when to progress to the next level of progression or start over with a new weight. Todays protocol seemed about right to perform after one would reach the testing goal for S&S. I think working up to 5 rounds would fit and I'll try that next week. I'm not sure what would be a good testing time but I'll figure that out at a later date too.

Monday
10x10 Swing
10x1 TGU

Tuesday
3 Rounds
2x1 TGU
2x2 Clean & Press
2x3 Snatch
2x4 Clean & Jerk
2x5 Swing

Today
Rest. Donated blood yesterday so taking the day off. Probably just go for a few walks today. I've never blood doped but if the breathing rate and effort is the opposite of donating blood, I'll bet it feels amazing.

Yesterday
4 Rounds
2x1 TGU
2x2 Clean & Press
2x3 Snatch
2x4 Clean & Jerk
2x5 Swing

Today
3 Rounds
2x1 TGU
2x2 Clean & Press
2x3 Snatch
2x4 Clean & Jerk
2x5 Swing

Z-Press dropset: 6@2x24, 6@2x16, 6@2x12, 6@2x8

Heart rate recovered a bit quicker today than yesterday which I assume has to do with the blood volume recovering. Left arm presses were pretty terrible today though. I don't ever recall such an asymmetric press.

2x1 TGU
2x2 Clean & Press
2x3 Snatch
2x4 Clean & Jerk
2x5 Swing

Monday - 3 Rounds (felt great, wish I had more time to do 4 or 5 rounds)
Tuesday - 3 Rounds (tired and weak, was glad to stop at 3)

Paying particular attention lately to slow negatives on the presses and jerks. Also, focusing on my breathing pattern in the clean & jerks to minimize the HR climb. Each movement gets me into the 130s, but the C&J get into the 140s if I don't breath right and makes the recovery take longer which makes the sets take longer which makes the session longer which prevents me having time for the 4th and 5th rounds on days when I want to do them.

2x1 TGU
2x2 Clean & Press
2x3 Snatch
2x4 Clean & Jerk
2x5 Swing

Yesterday: 3 Rounds

Today
: 5 Rounds (baby woke up early so I had some extra time to fit more rounds in, swings and snatches fatigued (grip specific) in 5th round but presses and TGU were stronger each round.)

Seeing some noticeable definition in my shoulders. Have lost a few lbs over the last couple weeks. Unfortunately, my stair climbing ability has decreased a little. Short flights are fine but longer ones have me breathing noticeably more. I notice this every time I come back to S&S training. It's great for many things but has this one shortfall for me. The next time I need more endurance will be hunting season so I'm not concerned about it right now though. I suspect I will get more specific with lunges and running closer to hunting season. I don't think I want to do specific training more than 1 month at a time or more frequently than about twice per year. I think my lifestyle caters to that best.

What makes you think that the S&S training is reducing your cardio level? Just curious. I am sure you are far more fit than I am, but S&S has increased my cardio, at least it feels like it has, hence the question.

@Michael Scott I'm just not training the capacity of energy my muscles maintain in them by keeping my heart rate low with the long recovery. When I train with more of a hypertrophy and "conditioning" method my muscles (legs specifically) get larger but not much stronger which I understand as them filling with more creatine and water to use as fuel which handles longer flights of stairs better. At times I will add some longer sets of lunges or squats to S&S but I haven't been doing any knee dominant lower body work aside from the get-up. I can probably sprint fine or do a long run fine but a fast mid distance run would suffer right now.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom