all posts post new thread

Pursuit of My Happiness

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I can probably sprint fine or do a long run fine but a fast mid distance run would suffer right now.

A good question, and a good answer.

In energy systems terms // sprint = alactic // long run = aerobic // fast mid-distance run = glycolytic.

So S&S is good for alactic, and it could be argued that it is good for aerobic, it is only good for glycolytic if done in more of a "compressed" style of swings in 5 min, or the non-stop swings (which is OK to do sometimes; not recommended for everyday practice). And as I think you are saying, @Bro Mo, not the best overall way to increase your conditioning for hunting.

Great explanation @Anna C!!!

A good question, and a good answer.

In energy systems terms // sprint = alactic // long run = aerobic // fast mid-distance run = glycolytic.

So S&S is good for alactic, and it could be argued that it is good for aerobic, it is only good for glycolytic if done in more of a "compressed" style of swings in 5 min, or the non-stop swings (which is OK to do sometimes; not recommended for everyday practice). And as I think you are saying, @Bro Mo, not the best overall way to increase your conditioning for hunting.

Monday
Trap Bar Deadlift: 5@135, 4@185, 3@225, 2@275, 7x1 @ 315

Tuesday
3 Rounds @ 32kg
2x1 TGU
2x2 Clean & Press
2x3 Snatch
2x4 Clean & Jerk
2x5 Swing

Today
30x1 TGU @ 32kg

Everything is feeling good. I started seeing a chiropractor last week for some thoracic pain. It still hurts but Tuesdays session felt light. Probably too early to say with confidence, but I think are things are being unlocked by the adjustments I've been getting. My grip is feeling noticeably stronger this week also.

@Michael Scott I'm just not training the capacity of energy my muscles maintain in them by keeping my heart rate low with the long recovery. When I train with more of a hypertrophy and "conditioning" method my muscles (legs specifically) get larger but not much stronger which I understand as them filling with more creatine and water to use as fuel which handles longer flights of stairs better. At times I will add some longer sets of lunges or squats to S&S but I haven't been doing any knee dominant lower body work aside from the get-up. I can probably sprint fine or do a long run fine but a fast mid distance run would suffer right now.

I have come to a similar conclusion myself.

I have switched over to a largely glycolytic protocol to put on size and lean weight, with aerobic on my "off" days (I also really needed a break from the amount of heavy overhead lifting I was doing). When I look back at my charts it appears I've lost or stagnated on some of my lifts, but to be fair I have to account for the higher volume, higher intensity, shorter recovery periods early in every session. I've also put on over 15 lbs in under 2 months while keeping my belt size the same. In another three weeks or when my belt gets tight I'll begin switching back to more strength oriented work.

I look at it like I'm building a wall - Alactic is the big field rocks, Aerobic is the smaller stones that keep the big ones from shifting, Glycolytic is the mortar that locks in gains and improves the durability of the first two. I understand exactly what you mean re the running distances/pacing - everything is a trade-off. You can't be fitting small stones, hefting big ones, and mixing mortar all at the same time.

@North Coast Miller Another analogy I like is spinning plates on sticks. You can't spin them all at the same time. You have to spin each one hard enough so it doesn't fall while you tend to the others and then continually revisit them all.

Today
5 Rounds @ 32kg
2x1 TGU
2x2 Clean & Press
2x3 Snatch
2x4 Clean & Jerk
2x5 Swing

Test: 23:56!!

Pretty demanding test for me. I could probably benefit from performing some additional work capacity training periodically - not unlike the nonstop swings every 2 weeks in S&S. I think nonstop clean & presses or jerks with a lighter weight (24kg) would be the ticket for this protocol.

This was the first time I've tried testing this to gauge a time to shoot for. I think <5min per round is a good target. Each round took 3-4 minutes and left me with ~1min to rest between (which was very necessary). I was able to keep the bell moving without setting it down for the first 3 rounds but then would set it down to switch hands as they got sweaty - and as I got tired.

The last set of presses was quite difficult even though they all went up. I think I will add some supplemental presses at least once per week. Probably drop or pause sets. Perhaps just as many clean & press reps as I can manage without setting the bell down with a lighter weight as mentioned earlier. I liked the Z-presses I did a couple weeks ago and I imagine supplemental pressing will be performed a few different ways.

Long story short, I like this protocol as a level to perform after achieving a weight for S&S but before jumping to a new level in S&S. Time will tell how easy solid is when I eventually buy one.

It's been a busy summer so far. I have been so busy, I haven't trained for 3 weeks prior to this week. I may be presented with an opportunity requiring a PFT so I will be trying some things for a while to that end.

This week:
Doing a fighter calisthenics protocol of push-ups, sit-ups, rows/pull-ups, followed by some sprints.

Push-up and pullups @ 5x the FPP, rows @ 3x, pullups @ 1x, with 200m repeats after.

Still training PFT stuff. I've played with rep ladders, weight ladders, and density training. The rep ladders have been the most taxing due to pushing the volume with calisthenics. The weight ladders have been 10# increments starting with an empty bar. I like these but I think rep ladders with a static weight fits my goals and philosophies a little better. The density training has been my favorite. Time efficient, easy to adjust volume and intensity. I like performing 30-50% max reps every 60-120 seconds. I may try more 50% efforts with 5-10min rests to see how that goes for a bit. I strained my hamstring sprinting this week. I was a little surprised how vulnerable my hamstring was considering such high percentage of my training has been swings for quite a while. I wonder if my swinging has not been long enough sets maybe or if I just need to incorporate sprinting more often than once per year.

In the words of Aerosmith, "I'm back in the saddle again".

Past few months have been rehab for a minor hamstring tear. A lot of walking and figuring out new goals and training philosophies. Now that I'm healed up I'm taking some lessons I've learned from the last year and implementing them for the next year. Here are some lessons I've learned this year:
  1. More variety for GPP. When I would narrow the focus of my training, whenever I had a need for something that was not that thing I would suffer performance and recovery. I will be broadening the scope of my GPP for the foreseeable future.
  2. Aligning frequency with volume better. I have had some hard times with training frequency. I want to segregate my training a little better to accommodate opposing session objectives and stop spending so much time in the middle.
  3. Barbells are just tough for me to stay consistent. Not having a barbell at home makes it tough. I have a busy schedule and getting to the gym simply doesn't fit. The best program is the one you do, right!
I will be keeping up my PFT work for my specific strength needs for now but will likely change them to more rucking oriented when hunting season comes near or maybe an obstacle course race with my family over the summer. Here is the broad brush of my upcoming training schedule:

Default:
Mon: General Strength (Power > Strength > Strength Endurance > Work Capacity)
Tue: Zone 1 Cardio
Wed: Zone 1 Cardio
Thu: Specific Strength (Strength Endurance > Work Capacity)
Fri: Zone 1 Cardio​

Event Prep:
Mon: Zone 1 Cardio
Tue: Specific Strength (Strength Endurance > Work Capacity > Zone 4-5 Intervals)
Wed: Zone 1 Cardio
Thu: Zone 2 Cardio
Fri: Specific Strength (Strength Endurance > Work Capacity > Zone 4-5 Intervals)​

My ability to recover has been getting worse since I stopped training higher volume. I used to be able to perform 4 higher volume sessions each week but I can't sustain that anymore. When I swithed to 3, I was able to recover better but only for a few weeks. I migrated to high frequency, low volume but have significantly reduced my endurance and capacity. I feel that it has to do with training the body to recover rather than staying recovered via low volume, high frequency. I want to prepare myself to have hard days and not be completely disabled after. I am increasing my session volume and load but reducing my frequency (2 days per week) and filling in everything else with zone 1 recovery cardio.

Yesterday:
OTM (5 min)
5/5x Swing @ 32kg
OTM (5 min)
3/3x Snatch @ 32kg
5 Rounds
1/1x TGU @ 32kg
2/2x Pistol @ 8kg
3x Pull-Up​

3 Rounds
10x Push-Ups
5/5x Renegade Row @ 2x 12kg
2/2x Lunge @ 2x 12kg
2/2x Jumping Lunge @ 2x 12kg
2/2x Jumping Lunge
4x Jump Squat
25m/25m Rack Carry @ 32kg​

OTM (3 min)
5x Burpee
1/1x Clean & Jerk @ 32kg​

4x 20:40
Elliptical Sprint​

Today:
40min Zone 1 Elliptical

Slow & steady not only wins the race, but builds the body. It will come back, you just have to work your way there.

Yesterday:
30min zone 2

Today:
1 - 15 (1) Rounds
Push-Up
Sit-Up

3 Ladders
1 - 3(1) Pull-Up
5 - 15 (5) 2H Swing @ 32kg
5 - 15 (5) Air Squat

4 Rounds
20:40 Sprint

OTM (5min)
5/5x Swing @ 32kg​

3 Rounds
1/1x TGU @ 32kg
1/1x Clean & Press @ 32kg
1/1x Pistol @ 8kg
3x Pull-Up​

3 Rounds
5/5x Floor Press @ 32kg
5/5x Bent Row @ 32kg
2/2x Lunge @ 2x 12kg
2/2x Split Jump @ 2x12kg
2/2x Split Jump
4x Jump Squat
3x Hanging Leg Lever
25m/25m Suitcase Carry @ 32kg​

4 Rounds
5x Burpee
1/1x Clean & Jerk​

Elliptical Sprint @ > 400Watts
Felt better today than last Monday. The jerks in the 4th component felt really good - all hip drive. Liked the grip training of the suitcase carry better than the rack carry. I'm looking forward to seeing how well these long sessions improve my stamina over time. These long sessions 2x per week are quite opposing to shorter daily sessions I had been doing even though the weekly volume is about the same.

Tue/Wed:
Zone 1 & 2 Running

Today:
1-18 (1) Rounds
Sit-Up
Push-Up
Ring Row

4 Rounds
20sec Elliptical Sprint @ >400W
40sec Rest

Today felt better than last week. My variety, volume, intensity, and frequency have all been satiating the last two weeks. These longer sessions are helping with the mental constraints I have. It is much easier to justify in my mind that I need rest and recovery from a long session than a short one. It helps me take the necessary recovery actions better simply feeling they are deserved and necessary.

OTM (5min)
5/5x Swing @ 32kg​

3 Rounds
1/1x TGU @ 32kg
1/1x Clean & Press @ 32kg
1/1x Pistol @ 8kg
3x Pull-Up​

4 Rounds
5/5x Floor Press @ 32kg
5/5x Bent Row @ 32kg
2/2x Lunge @ 2x 12kg
2/2x Split Jump @ 2x12kg
2/2x Split Jump
4x Jump Squat
3x Hanging Leg Lever
25m/25m Suitcase Carry @ 32kg​

4 Rounds
5x Burpee
1/1x Clean & Jerk​

Elliptical Sprint @ > 400Watts
Some weird hip pain today after I fell asleep in a chair in an apparently awkward position. HR is recovering faster. Floor presses are helping pushups on my other training day. Tried to get some GTG push-ups and sit-ups in on Saturday (managed two sets) but got busy and didn't want to be the weird guy at the party just busting out some reps in the middle of a conversation.

The last few weeks has been a nice life-long program for me. It has been broad enough and specific enough to be a great foundation schedule. Now I have a test date and it's time to switch to a peaking program for the next 7-8 weeks.

I will be preparing for a PT test in February. I had thought to simply substitute the more general Monday for another specific day. While I'm confident in that approach, I haven't had the opportunity to test it and want to stick with GTG for the next few weeks as I know how it has worked for me in the past. I am excited to get back to the program I have been doing though as it has been working well for me and is very sustainable long-term.

Rather than ~50% sets I'm going to use a fighter pull-up program rep scheme. Push-Ups /Sit-Ups will be 5x FPP numbers. I haven't fully decided between sit-ups at 5x or front levers at 1x though. Mondays and Thursdays will be A+A hill sprints (30-35 meters). I would do some flat sprints but I'm still a little concerned about my hamstring even though it feels fine. I may add some swings in the evening to strengthen my hamstrings a little so I don't have an issue on test day. Tue, Wed, Fri will be zone 1 running to continue building my aerobic capacity and recovery.

Finished first week of my GTG/FPP/A+A work last week. Went well. The A+A hill sprints feel good but I'm a little concerned about the transferability to flat sprints as the motion is a bit different and takes the hamstrings out of it a lot. The pace of my LSD is slowly increasing after a few months of it (~3 days/wk) but is still pretty slow.

I added some A+A swings to keep my hamstrings working. Unfortunately, my grip is still such a limiting factor in the explosiveness of my swings. When I use two hands, that bell really moves as my posterior chain is plenty strong though.

The FPP/GTG work is feeling good. I have been adding a band to my push-ups later in the day when the reps are lower and adding a 5-10# plate behind my head for all my sit-ups.

Another thing I'm noticing is my appetite is very low. Not sure if it's because of the style of training or my body learning to live off the hump a little better with the increase in zone 1 cardio volume over the last few months - probably both.

Completed second week of my GTG/FPP/A+A. Tried sit-ups using a cable machine to provide additional resistance at the top of the sit-up; worked fine but I think it's better to have the weight at the bottom by holding it behind the head instead.

Continuing to use bands on smaller sets of push-ups. I added a 10# plate on my back for some push-up sets to get additional resistance at the bottom - opposite of the banded push-ups. I will continue to implement both resistance methods to my push-ups.

A+A is going well, I will see how well it transfers over to longer tempo running in a couple weeks when I begin that. I do have some concerns about the transfer to sustained distance. I'm afraid the glycolytic energy system is not being trained and will be more necessary. That said, I do believe it is the fastest system to build and will not need as much time to build it.

The weekly schedule is pretty ideal for me. 2 days of A+A, 3 days of LSD, 5 days of strength. Still looking forward to getting back on the previous program I was on for long-term training.

Third week in, my elbows are beginning to hurt from all the volume of push-ups and pull-ups. Taking the rest of the week off. I think I need to increase the resistance via bands/chains/etc. and reduce the set volume of the push-ups.

Next week I will test the post-activation potentiation concept and see if I can compare the two methods over a couple weeks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom