all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Push Press vs Clean and Jerk

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NormanOsborn

Level 5 Valued Member
Having tried both, with a light(16kg)Bell, I can see that Clean and Jerk is definitely the more technical Lift. You have to time it right, and position your body correctly. Push Press is easier to learn.

But is there any real difference between the two exercises in terms of the benefits/attributes they develop? Both seem to me to be excellent at developing power, as opposed to Military Press, which is better at developing strength.

Thank you.

Having tried both, with a light(16kg)Bell, I can see that Clean and Jerk is definitely the more technical Lift. You have to time it right, and position your body correctly. Push Press is easier to learn.

But is there any real difference between the two exercises in terms of the benefits/attributes they develop? Both seem to me to be excellent at developing power, as opposed to Military Press, which is better at developing strength.

Thank you.

It really depends upon what end your goal is.

As Jerk Progression:

Olympic weightlifting (my sport), the end goal is the BB jerk because that's the competition lift.

In weightlifting sport context, the push press serves a few purposes:

• Skill the first step of a jerk, namely "dip-drive". This then eventually progresses to the "dip-drive-dip" of the jerk.
  • Building vertical explosive power out of the rack position
I don't practice kettlebell sport, but I would assume that given the KB jerk is a competition lift for them, as well, I would assume the programming is similar.

Transition Lift for Pressing Stronger:

However, for general fitness, strength, and hypertrophy, I don't think most people are looking to get good at jerks because they don't really apply in real life, aren't optimal for developing strength.

In the context of developing strength and improving a strict press, I think the push press has a few purposes:

• When programmed with intent, and not as a cheat move, allows you to start working with heavier KBs than you can strictly press by push pressing and then working on the negative
  • Prepares your body (muscles, tendons) to learn how to support the weight overhead and in lockout, as well as absorbing the whole body impact on the eccentric, as preparation for pressing the heavier weight
However, in this case, it's still a transition lift for pressing heavier.

Quick and Dirty to Be Sexy:

[or condition you for explosive moves]

If I'm really short on time, so much that I don't even have time to press, it can be combined with the clean.

The push press is more tolerant of fatigue induced form slop than either the strict press or the jerk.

Thus as a conditioning move, you can get in a hot mess of a quickie by doing:

• Dead clean using bell 1 size heavier than you strict press
  • Push press with slow negative
  • Squat
That's one rep. Alternate hands each rep. Repeat as needed to get your pump on or your fatigue makes you stop.

This is different from a thruster because you're doing the push press before the squat and you're resetting to the floor each time, requiring you to do 2 explosive reps (clean, push press) per set.

Last edited:
It really depends upon what end your goal is.

As Jerk Progression:

Olympic weightlifting (my sport), the end goal is the BB jerk because that's the competition lift.

In weightlifting sport context, the push press serves a few purposes:

• Skill the first step of a jerk, namely "dip-drive". This then eventually progresses to the "dip-drive-dip" of the jerk.
  • Building vertical explosive power out of the rack position
I don't practice kettlebell sport, but I would assume that given the KB jerk is a competition lift for them, as well, I would assume the programming is similar.

Transition Lift for Pressing Stronger:

However, for general fitness, strength, and hypertrophy, I don't think most people are looking to get good at jerks because they don't really apply in real life, aren't optimal for developing strength.

In the context of developing strength and improving a strict press, I think the push press has a few purposes:

• When programmed with intent, and not as a cheat move, allows you to start working with heavier KBs than you can strictly press by push pressing and then working on the negative
  • Prepares your body (muscles, tendons) to learn how to support the weight overhead and in lockout, as well as absorbing the whole body impact on the eccentric, as preparation for pressing the heavier weight
However, in this case, it's still a transition lift for pressing heavier.

Quick and Dirty to Be Sexy:

[or condition you for explosive moves]

If I'm really short on time, so much that I don't even have time to press, it can be combined with the clean.

The push press is more tolerant of fatigue induced form slop than either the strict press or the jerk.

Thus as a conditioning move, you can get in a hot mess of a quickie by doing:

• Dead clean using bell 1 size heavier than you strict press
  • Push press with slow negative
  • Squat
That's one rep. Alternate hands each rep. Repeat as needed to get your pump on or your fatigue makes you stop.

This is different from a thruster because you're doing the push press before the squat and you're resetting to the floor each time, requiring you to do 2 explosive reps (clean, push press) per set.

Great reply. Thank you.

The idea of doing Push Press with a slow negative reminds me of Negative Pull Ups; jump into the full pull up position, then slowly lower your body to full stretch.

What ratio would you recommend? Work up to 8 - 10 Push Presses with slow Negatives before trying a Strict Press with the same weight?

Great reply. Thank you.

The idea of doing Push Press with a slow negative reminds me of Negative Pull Ups; jump into the full pull up position, then slowly lower your body to full stretch.

What ratio would you recommend? Work up to 8 - 10 Push Presses with slow Negatives before trying a Strict Press with the same weight?

I usually don't allow myself to start training the strict press on a weight until I can hit a clean 3 reps.

How that translates to your negative reps is something you'll have to play with, and it depends on how close you are to your genetic limits.

When I was farther from my limits, 8-10 reps was fine, but now it's closer to 9-12 negative reps as the weights get heavier.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom