all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Push pressing for stronger press?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Sauli

Level 9 Valued Member
Hey guys.

My main strength goal for this summer is to press 44kg. I can press 40kg and I can push press 44kg pretty well.
Currently I do not have any bells between 32kg and 44kg.
I did rop with 32kg earlier this year and I got that 40kg press and dbl 32 press for 5 reps.
I have a plan to do soju&tuba with 44kg push press.
Will push pressing 44kg get me closer to that goal? Hopefully it will. What you guys think?

I would say yeah push pressing would help your press, but it may develop some bad habits. I would potentially do some push presses after your standard military press to get used to the heavier weight.

I would focus on the 40kg. One arm clean & presses. I would do 10 reps in as few sets as possible - the goal being 2x5.

Push press is also a good way to progress, just make sure the mechanics on the eccentric are slow and clean. If you just let it drop between concentrics it won't help as much.
This. Use your legs to get it up, then lower it as slowly as you can. I seem to recall readying that eccentric strength can exceed concentric by as much as 20%.

Another option would be floor/bench pressing it, but this is less specific.

Will push pressing 44kg get me closer to that goal?
In your place, I'd prefer a jerk to a pushpress because it's more different. Jerk to overhead and work on very controlled negatives with a focus on your press' stick points. Anything that puts the weight over your head and lets you spend some time there will also help, e.g., walking with it overhead. Even just holding it overhead for time.

And don't forget the other end of the press - you can practice the loaded clean with your heavier weight.

-S-

In your place, I'd prefer a jerk to a pushpress because it's more different. Jerk to overhead and work on very controlled negatives with a focus on your press' stick points. Anything that puts the weight over your head and lets you spend some time there will also help, e.g., walking with it overhead. Even just holding it overhead for time.

And don't forget the other end of the press - you can practice the loaded clean with your heavier weight.

-S-

Thanks Steve. Loaded cleans, jerks with slow negative and some goblet squats sounds great plan actually. :)

Another option to consider is the "long push press." Basically, you do a clean and front squat and initiate the press just as you lock out the top of the squat.

The squat gives you some extra drive to get the weight up, but still requires you to stay tight in the rack and press through the range of motion instead of being able to launch the bell ballistically through the sticking point.

Hopefully the drive from the long push press is enough to get the 44 up for at least singles. You can also use it to do a higher volume with 32, and you can do slow negatives on the reps with the 32 as well.

Progressing to higher rep ladders with the 32, such as 3, 5, 7 or 2, 5, 8, may help.

Just about anything you can do with the target bell to get comfortable and disinhibited will help -- swings, floor presses, cleans, rack and overhead holds, get ups/partial gets ups, etc.

Last edited:
@Sauli, jerks would be my choice, but do what you feel works best for you. @Steve W. has added yet another possibility to the mix. The important is that you're looking for is: carryover without confusion. Whatever does that for you, even if it's more than one of the ways suggested in this thread, will help. For me as a trainee, I don't like military presses and pushpresses in the same cycle, but it may not work that way for you.

-S-

I've done push presses as a way to move up in weight, yes. I'm not sure it's the "proper" way to proceed though past a certain point.

I like the push press in this role because I can very accurately (with familiarity) adjust how much launch I provide. You can get it to where there's just enough added power you have to fight it at the stick point, or you can launch it most of the way and just use eccentric.

Feels like cheating until those eccentric reps add up.

How about side/bent press up, active negative MP down? Seems more inline with the tension skill set required

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom