all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pushup program?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
if anyone here has done something like it.
I really enjoed the workout that Robert DeNiro did for "Cape Fear".
I did it last year in spring for 2 month as a change for S&S.
Its a split-training and it goes like this:

Training days were split into pushing and pulling days. This meant one day was designated for pushing movements like push-ups, dips, and squats and the other training day set aside for pulling exercises like pull-ups and chin-ups and rows.

I did it like: Mo: push ups, dips, squats - pyramids 1-10 and 10-1 (squats doubble 2,4,6 ect.) (1 push up, 1 dip, 2 squats, 2 push ups, 2 dips, 4 squats..ect)
Tue: pull ups, chin ups, rows - 5 emom x 15
Wed: Rest
Thu: like Monday
Fri: Like Tuesday
Sa/Su : Rest
Had really impressive results and a lot of fun. Skipped the 600 daily crunches...
540860_10151340858663634_559935422_n.jpg
Cape Fear Workout

Last edited:
Yes I painted my body with a pen everyday to train shirtless in the park. Looked really scary!
View attachment 15851
This is a good idea. If you have the scary shirtless prison tattoo look you get all the playground equipment to yourself instead of having to share it with kids because the parents all run away.

Only downside is you need to get your workout in before the nearest patrol car can respond. Which makes for great autoregulation via escalated density training.

This is a good idea. If you have the scary shirtless prison tattoo look you get all the playground equipment to yourself instead of having to share it with kids because the parents all run away.

Only downside is you need to get your workout in before the nearest patrol car can respond. Which makes for great autoregulation via escalated density training.
Bald + Beard makes it worse. I've had multiple run ins with the PD in parks... ROFL

Has anyone tried the 8 week pushup program in Breaking Muscle?

I was thinking of giving it a try and wanted to see if anyone here has done something like it. Do you think it would be too much to also include inverted rows following the same format for equal reps?

Thanks.
Check out iron wolf on YouTube. I’m 42 and doing his 5 pump burpees routine has me doing at will 500 pushups in 30 minutes. I have pushed out 1000 on one occasion.

iron wolf
He is a sick individual. Does he ever stop? ;)
I do his 6 count and 8 count burpees. Really love them.
There is also this Mighty Mouse prison burbee routine to be done 25 min straight every day, no matter what. Is nice for a change... And demanding..

He is a sick individual. Does he ever stop? ;)
I do his 6 count and 8 count burpees. Really love them.
There is also this Mighty Mouse prison burbee routine to be done 25 min straight every day, no matter what. Is nice for a change... And demanding..

Aye Mighty Mouse is cool too! As is Burpee king but Art the iron wolf is the man. As for Navy seals in any and all iterations, they are evil!

@pet'
I checked my log and it looks like I initially went for a bike ride. 10 km to the trainingspot in the woods/10 km back home. So 20 km everyday fast cycling with a crossbike.
My average weekly total training during this period was about 16h/900min. Daily about 100min +/-
After three weeks of the the forementioned routine I added front dips to the usual parallel dips and shorties to the push ups (not full range that is) So dubbled the amount . I added divebombers/dands to the routine and bethaks mixed with lunges. So, instead of 100 push ups I did 300, if you consider a hindu push up a push up at all. Same for dips and squats.
For the pull days I added towel rows to the rows I did on a bar after a while (50 pull ups/ 50 chin ups + 100 towel rows.)
The results were:
I dropped 4-5 kg weight. I started 73kg and ended 68kg. Came back to 70kg eventually. So 3 kg.
I was doing pistols later, without training them (There is this Steve Maxwell/ Pavel workout - OA Pushups l/r , Pistols l/R, chin ups l/r - don't remember the name) anyway.. I could perform this properly.
But mostly I gained a full hang out pull up, slow and strong 10 rep max. Before maybe 5-7. (Full range of motion.) Before I could do 20 fast and creepy ones.. ;)
I could perform long circles of burpees (6 and 8 count / one and two pump that is)
So, I was much stronger and had more endurance - I was sprinting with my bike every now and than on the way back home and took steep hills.
What I kept is a dand/bethak routine of 100 dands straight with nose breathing and 50 bethaks afterwards, nose breathing as well. (My Yoga warm up)
After, I maintained my pull ups by GTG and added handstanpushups. (I do this at work when I go to the toilet)
Thick pecs and fat guns as well.
Restdays I swam in the public pool (crawl/30 min) and/or Yoga
To summarize: Leanness around the waist, endurance, swole physique, good definition of lats, shoulders and arms and strong knees.

BUT( of course there is) - I found that I was getting to tight. I practise Tai Chi on a daily basis and I felt heavy and sour, all the time....
So, there was no grace and easeness to my moves.
My log also states "backpain" . After 7 weeks...
I even prolonged my training to end up with 1400 min/week. Because I added walking.
So maybe 4-6 weeks is enough.?
I prefer to be loose. So thats why I do dands and bethaks. I always stretched a lot and basic kb is actually enough.
It was a nice experience and I'm already think about to give it another shot. But maybe only half the volume?
Hope that is somehow readable!?

Hello,

There is this programme, from @Jody Beasley based on high reps as well:

Kind regards,

Pet'
Thanks.

Most pushup programs seem to be based on gtg which is why I haven't tried them. I'm looking for something I can do before work in the morning.

I used to made "handwalk push ups"
Stand tall, hinge, touch the ground and walk with your hands till plank. 10 push ups, walk back.
repeat, this time widen arms 10 x, repeat, diamond push up, repeat, five finger push up, repeat three finger pu, repeat two finger pu, repeat, thumb pu, repeat nuckles....Always ten reps.
If you want you could add OA push ups l/R and clap push ups
Quick and dirty. Perfect for mornings.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks.

Most pushup programs seem to be based on gtg which is why I haven't tried them. I'm looking for something I can do before work in the morning.
You are welcome.

I tend to be like you. Usually, I prefer "getting the job done" first thing in the morning. That way even if I have a very busy day and end up exhausted, I did my practice. However, I currently work from home so I can GTG. So in this case, GTG is in addition to my regular routine.

If I want to go "all GTG", then I squeeze a lot in the morning by doing supersets. Basically, I'll do supersets until I've done all the reps I should have done over the course of the day. Therefore, I'll do a lot of push ups / pull ups. Once done, I'll do squat and core. So during X amount of time, I do not stop moving. It is a little bit more taxing than a true GTG, even if volume can be roughly the same. Then I'll usually do not do anything in the morning again and my hit a few additional sets only in the afternoon if I have enough energy / time.

Kind regards,

Pet'

No working from home for me. Doing pushups in the office is unlikely to happen, and when I get home there's usually a lot going on and I'm tired so I'm unlikely to do much in the evening.

Hello @the hansenator

For a while, I mostly relied on 'high rep' stuff. I did all I could early in the morning, using supersets and circuit stuff.

It worked well but back then, I did not use a split push / pull / leg as mentioned in the De Niro's Cape Fear programme. Eventually, when one gets proficient at a certain move, I think it may be the best thing to do. @spc is a great example.

Bobby Maximus also extensively uses bodyweight training with high repetition. However he does it with density training (as much perfectreps as you can in the amount of time)
- 30 minutes of: dips, push ups, pull ups
- 30 minutes of: squats, lunges, sit ups

So even if it remains possible to do both back to back on a [near] daily basis, you can also do it on alternate days. Doing the latter, I'd use a weight vest or a backpack to slightly increase intensity so it 'compensate' the lesser frequency.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Has anyone tried the 8 week pushup program in Breaking Muscle?

I was thinking of giving it a try and wanted to see if anyone here has done something like it. Do you think it would be too much to also include inverted rows following the same format for equal reps?

Thanks.
Ok, I’m starting this program today. I have a feeling I’ll burn out by around week 5 but I’ve wanted to improve at push-ups and this fits into my schedule nicely.

Reactions: spc
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom