all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pushups - peaking for physical tests

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

vojtakubi

Level 3 Valued Member
How to peak for pushup tests? Max pushups in 2 min. Limit is 36 pushups. In past years i had around 65 to 75 pushups, but want to up those numbers. Currently I'm doing GTG way. But i was thinking about some way of glycotic work for few weeks and then back to GTG two weeks before tests. What would you do? Continue with GTG, slow Twitch training, or some acid bath with triceps push down for example?

I'd find my rep max in pushups and then do half of it GTG way during day. I.e. if your rep max is 60, do sets of 25-35 during the day.
Or you can focus on increasing your 8-12 RM in bench press. When I was bench pressing like mad, I was regularly able to do 65+ pushups in one set.
ST training should be a nice addition to this, but I wouldn't bother with triceps push downs.

75 push-ups in two minutes = 37.5/minute

I haven't read the replies/links, but if it's a 2 minute effort, that requires some pacing and endurance. If your goal is 80, for example, I would include some "pace work" (target pace work for 15 sec/10 reps, 30 sec/20 reps , 45 seconds/30 reps in duration) as well as just straight sets at a more leisurely pace, and the occasional (but rare) minute+ sets. With more time, I could give you a more thoughtful plan, but that's how I start thinking through endurance work.

edit: and make sure you have a week of easy/light work prior to your test day.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom