all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Q&D as LISS cardio and fat loss?

KCCollins

Level 1 Valued Member
Good afternoon. This is my first post so please correct anything here that is out of place, and thank you for your time.

I’ve bought Pavel’s quick and dead book and love the swings and push-ups protocol there. I was looking for a stand alone minimalist routine i can do 3 times a week that will build general strength and power but i also want to see some fat loss.

I’m an army veteran with terrible knees. I used to love running at a slow pace for many miles but I broke myself and can’t any longer (typing this as i sit at my local VA). I was wondering, does extending the time to 45 minutes to an hour doing Q&D turn it into a type of LISS cardio? I really want to see come fat loss and would like to stick with the push-ups and swings type program. Or are there alterations I should make to accomplish this?

Thank you

First off welcome….

If I remember correctly Pavel talks about Q&D being an advanced programme, suited for instance someone who has completed Simple from S&S. It’s not LISS. Neither is S&S but it might be a better choice for your fitness goals.
If you have dodgy knees consider adding cycling or maybe rowing to achieve the LISS cardio benefits.

For fat loss… I’m afraid you need to look in the kitchen for your best results…

Again… welcome.

As an army veteran myself with a bad hip & bad knee I use this protocol to replace running... I use a slightly lower step height than the article but try simple and sinister 3-4 days a week and 2-3 days a week of this step up protocol

I would think A+A a better fit for a LISS substitute than Q&D. Pavel addresses this in this article and in the Q&A after it.

I really enjoy swings and push-ups. I know shortening the intervals of rest isn’t advised for the benefits inherent in QD, but if there was day a minute or less of rest between each set, that would be closer the mark for LISS am I right?

Good afternoon. This is my first post so please correct anything here that is out of place, and thank you for your time.

I’ve bought Pavel’s quick and dead book and love the swings and push-ups protocol there. I was looking for a stand alone minimalist routine i can do 3 times a week that will build general strength and power but i also want to see some fat loss.

I’m an army veteran with terrible knees. I used to love running at a slow pace for many miles but I broke myself and can’t any longer (typing this as i sit at my local VA). I was wondering, does extending the time to 45 minutes to an hour doing Q&D turn it into a type of LISS cardio? I really want to see come fat loss and would like to stick with the push-ups and swings type program. Or are there alterations I should make to accomplish this?

Thank you
If you have access to either a pool, a body of water that you can safely access or similar, look into swimming for another form of LISS that is low impact.

I really enjoy swings and push-ups. I know shortening the intervals of rest isn’t advised for the benefits inherent in QD, but if there was day a minute or less of rest between each set, that would be closer the mark for LISS am I right?
No, not really. Q&D would be the equivalent of sprint intervals, not stady state cardio.

That being said, doing Swings and Pushups in timeless A+A style (just resting until you feel pretty recovered, around 60-90 seconds usually) could work for your needs.

Something like this could probably work:
5 Swings left
5 Swings right
5 Pushups

@Anna C might give you some guidance here.

Add whatever form of low impact cardio type training that you enjoy. Taking a walk, riding a bike, riding a stationary bike while watching TV, elliptical, swimming, whatever :)

A+A alone will be very beneficial, but adding some longer aerobic sessions is still recommended for health and well being (and even performance).

Pavel will be publishing a book on A+A soon, so that might give you more ideas and answers to your questions.

PS: Oh, and welcome to the forum!

No, not really. Q&D would be the equivalent of sprint intervals, not stady state cardio.

That being said, doing Swings and Pushups in timeless A+A style (just resting until you feel pretty recovered, around 60-90 seconds usually) could work for your needs.

Something like this could probably work:
5 Swings left
5 Swings right
5 Pushups

@Anna C might give you some guidance here.

Add whatever form of low impact cardio type training that you enjoy. Taking a walk, riding a bike, riding a stationary bike while watching TV, elliptical, swimming, whatever :)

A+A alone will be very beneficial, but adding some longer aerobic sessions is still recommended for health and well being (and even performance).

Pavel will be publishing a book on A+A soon, so that might give you more ideas and answers to your questions.

PS: Oh, and welcome to the forum!
This is very good advice - start with about 20 repeats (5 swings = 1 repeat, 5 swings left, 5 swings right, 5 push ups = 3 repeats). And vary the volume with a minimum of 20% from training to training like a wave. Do this 3 times per week and add those longer steady state sessions to it.

For example:

Mon: 21 repeats
Tue: 30-45min LISS (run)
Wed: 16 repeats
Thur: rest
Fri: 27 repeats
Sat: 30-45min LISS
Son: off

Just do this for some weeks, and slowly add repeats. I think the waving is very important.

It would be less so. You would increase intensity by doing that. Moving away from the LI party of Liss.

My misconception was that so long as my heart rate never dropped below the 60% max heart rate range that it would qualify as LISS. This is good to know.

My misconception was that so long as my heart rate never dropped below the 60% max heart rate range that it would qualify as LISS. This is good to know.

Welcome to the forum, @KCCollins!

Here's a bit of explanation as to why HR alone doesn't determine cardio stimulus.... However, as it also explains, there is some overlapping benefit.

Here is another good explanation:

Welcome!

Under the disclaimer that I am not a doctor, don't pretend to be one, and did not even sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, and I don't know the specifics of your knee issues, rowing may be a good addition or compliment to a kettlebell based strength program as it's more "power endurance" than other modalities because of stroke rate/cadence.

Back
Top Bottom