all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Q&D bodyweight substitute for swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Sartre91

First Post
Hi guys,

I really appreciate the StrongFirst forums and I am reading for months here now. I worked through S&S to timeless simple standard the last year, then switched to Q&D with my 24 kg kettlebell. The training really rocks.

But now to my question - since I was traveling before corona a lot and did not always have my kettlebell available - do you guys have any idea for a swing substitute for Q&D? The jumping squat was already discussed here but adds a lot of strain to the knees. Springs are also discussed - but not always possible for me. I mean, okay, you can sprint everywhere.. But a bodyweight exercise I can do in small space in my hotel room instead of running outside would be really nice.

What do you think about burpees as substitute? 5 or 10 burpees instead of swings, like mentioned in the Q&D protocols, together with the push ups.

I'd try to sort out why jumps bother your knees if at all possible as this would be a good thing to figure out, anyway.

Doesn't a burpee involve a jump?

Perhaps it's coming out of a deep squat quickly that bothers your knees - then burpees are a good choice. There's a video in an article here - link, anyone, please? - that shows these being done for Q&D.

-S-

Hi guys,

I really appreciate the StrongFirst forums and I am reading for months here now. I worked through S&S to timeless simple standard the last year, then switched to Q&D with my 24 kg kettlebell. The training really rocks.

But now to my question - since I was traveling before corona a lot and did not always have my kettlebell available - do you guys have any idea for a swing substitute for Q&D? The jumping squat was already discussed here but adds a lot of strain to the knees. Springs are also discussed - but not always possible for me. I mean, okay, you can sprint everywhere.. But a bodyweight exercise I can do in small space in my hotel room instead of running outside would be really nice.

What do you think about burpees as substitute? 5 or 10 burpees instead of swings, like mentioned in the Q&D protocols, together with the push ups.

Air swings or long jumps.

Hello,

@Steve Freides
Is it what you are talking about:

Jumping lunge could also be more knee friendly.

Otherwise, it can be a nice option to get a thick resistance band. That way one can do 'pull through', which mimicks kb swings.

The band is fixed under a closed door with an 'anchor' (basically a strap with a knot)

But in all cases, I agree with @Steve Freides on fixing the knee issue.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Below is a video which is slightly out of the original post. It recaps sets and reps of exercises which maximize speed. If it may interest some folks:

Kind regards,

Pet'

A couple options come to mind:

1. DB Swings-most hotels have them and you could use 2 25lb DBs and swing them to the outside of the hips.
2. Bike Sprints
3. Band or TRX assisted squat jumps- takes pressure off landing
4.Band squats or swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom