all posts post new thread

Nutrition Q&D Creatine

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rob.oc

Level 2 Valued Member
Just a quick one on whether or not it's a good idea to use a creatine supplement while on the Q&D protocol?

Since it seems like the program is built around creatine phosphate depletion I'm not sure if I should or not?

Worth a try. Inexpensive as supplements go and effective for many. I've been taking 5grams in the am most days of the week, but have been doing this for years so not a good test case for my Q&D work outs which started a week or so after the book was available. Hard to tell, but I believe creatine at 5 grams a day helped a student of mine complete the Q&D 10 x 102h swings alt with 10 pwr push ups, he was having trouble with the 100 power push ups. After a month he was able to complete properly. He was also getting in better shape, so ??

Just a quick one on whether or not it's a good idea to use a creatine supplement while on the Q&D protocol?

Since it seems like the program is built around creatine phosphate depletion I'm not sure if I should or not?

I don't think there's any downside. I seem to recall from either Second Wind or Strong Endurance that Pavel is in favor of it... not to the point of promoting it, but definitely didn't discourage it and says it can be effective in increasing your available PCr storage capacity. There's not much evidence that you can train to have more PCr or use it any differently, but Q&D trains the ability to use and re-charge repeatedly. So my guess is that the training on Q&D would be just as effective, and perhaps more so, while using creatine. You'll still use it and re-charge as you train. It's just that your PCr "tank" is a bit larger. I don't know by how much, but my impression is maybe 5-10%. Some people respond better than others.

I used creatine for about a year at the normal dosage and not sure if I benefited or not, but stopped after kidney donation. I seem just as good without it. :) In any case I'm pretty convinced it's safe and I know it's cheap, so it's worth a try IMO.

I used it when I was putting on mass to help keep intensity high during my sessions, esp since I decreased volume and frequency.

Not a game changer but it definitely made a difference I could feel. I've since regained or exceeded most of my previous working weights without using it, only my loaded Pushups are still lagging, but not for long.

I've supplemented creatine periodically for years. 5mg thereabouts daily. It's definitely effective for me, I get an extra rep out of my 10 rep max. I don't test 1RM so not sure of the effect on limit strength. Only problem is the weight gain - for me around 2kg. So I get on the scales and cry a little

I have been thinking myself to start taking with S&S2.0 . I am so out of shape that an extra 10% will be noticeable.

I've messed about with it and generally don't notice any difference.
The only time that I've noticed a difference with creatine is with sprinting, specifically when training max intensity.
And its recovery that's noticeable, the day after sort, not during sessions.
Creatine plays a significant role in the cns too.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom