all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Q+D followed by more Swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

joesouth44

First Post
Hi all,

I've only got a 24kg Kettlebell. Been experimenting with Q+D (3 days a week) and really enjoying, I do it early morning and rest for 10 or so mins before doing some interval based/anerobic cardio from Tactical Barbell. I also do some Barbell training on the other 3 days.

My question is about incorporating some more swing work into my programme. I don't overcook it with swings in Q+D and always wave the load to accommodate lighter and more intense workouts. I'm keen on using KBs in some conditioning and wondered what the thoughts would be on this?

I'm keen to retain the power capacity output/mitochondrial benefits of Q+D but also utilise my bell for some additional cardio.

1. If I gave myself some time after my Q+D work and built in some sets of heavy swings at lower power output after some rest?
2. If I added some more swing work on the days I'm NOT doing Q+D (i.e. after a barbell session at the end, in lieu of some deadlifts say)

Any thoughts welcome.
Thanks as always

@joesouth44, I just posted yesterday that, after a couple of months of Q&D style training of swings, I'm moving to S&S style training with swings. IMO, it's a nice progression - you are, to simplify things, taking your Q&D foundation and working towards shorter rest periods. And you will swing every day or almost every day.

-S-

If you only have one bell I might think of moving on to a different program like @Steve Freides suggested. The link I'm attaching might just be what you are looking for.

This is what I’m looking for! I broke my foot so I’m toying with kneeling program mods. I was theory crafting an snatch/bottoms up press program based on rop but i think i like this better. The suitcase snatches feel better to me, but I’ll have to experiment more with swings and maybe give this a go. Goal is to maintain cardio enough to run a full (hopefully), or half (more likely) marathon in December. Can you think of any reasons i would not do snatches in this format?

This is what I’m looking for! I broke my foot so I’m toying with kneeling program mods. I was theory crafting an snatch/bottoms up press program based on rop but i think i like this better. The suitcase snatches feel better to me, but I’ll have to experiment more with swings and maybe give this a go. Goal is to maintain cardio enough to run a full (hopefully), or half (more likely) marathon in December. Can you think of any reasons i would not do snatches in this format?

This is essentially classic A&A, so most definitely you could use snatches. you'd have to adjust the # of reps to match the work:rest ratio.

This is essentially classic A&A, so most definitely you could use snatches. you'd have to adjust the # of reps to match the work:rest ratio.
Right on, so basically a 1:2 work to rest ratio. Idk, going to play with the swings more today. Will replace the optional tgu’s with bottums up kneeling presses, not confident enough in my foot yet. I just really like the progressive but waved overload to this that would fit with building cardio.

I have run the program with both swings and snatches and it works great! I started with 5 snatches on the minute for the length of the program. It might not look like a ton of work at first but the volume really creeps up. I’m starting this same program this coming Sunday.

Wicked! I was running my own snatch program but this one totally makes more sense and i would be a fool to question the endurance master @Al Ciampa. My sets of 10 kneeling snatches have felt good. I’ll have to time them to see what my number would be. Doing them kneeling i am only using 24# bell atm. The Kneeling snatches are actually pretty fun though, i think i could do 7 to fit the work to rest.

Alright officially highjacking the thread. Tested out the kneeling swings again with the 16k. Started with 10 rounds but was feeling good so i went for the week 1, 22 min. I was looking to maybe skip a week, but have already been doing some a+a style work this week and decided to just jump into week 1. I’m thinking ultimately of making the longest day my swing day and the remaining 3 be snatch days. Thanks for the post again, got me in the right track!

If you only have one bell I might think of moving on to a different program like @Steve Freides suggested. The link I'm attaching might just be what you are looking for.

This is great! Thanks v much - and for all your input. Great community out here!
I’m gonna worry less about how much I’m swinging and experiment a bit more.
Main thing is the power capacity carryover I’ve found from Q+D but with all these things there’s no harm in maintaining that with fewer sessions whilst incorporating something else in there too IMO
Thanks all

This is great! Thanks v much - and for all your input. Great community out here!
I’m gonna worry less about how much I’m swinging and experiment a bit more.
Main thing is the power capacity carryover I’ve found from Q+D but with all these things there’s no harm in maintaining that with fewer sessions whilst incorporating something else in there too IMO
Thanks all
You'll like the program. I've been running it a few times a year for about 3 years and have always gotten great results. I'm going to start day 1 on Sunday. A few times in the past I have made it a longer program by training 3 days a week instead of 4. This provided great results as well. Best of luck with your training.

@ShawnM, what do you run, or would you recommend to run after a five week block like this? I’m closing out week 2 tomorrow and very much enjoying it so far.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom