all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Q&D: temporary replacement for swings?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

gaesor

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi all,
I've been doing Q&D (plus deadlifts and getups on "rest" days) for a couple of months. Yesterday I sprained my ankle pretty badly. I can still to the pushup component of Q&D easily enough, but I'm not sure I want to be doing swings until my ankle is a bit more stable.

Are there any exercises that would work as a swing replacement in the interim?

Cheers,

Ben

@gaesor first, welcome to the forum.

Second, if your ankle is too unstable for swings, there are not many options left. You could consider presses, or maybe pull-ups at low/explosive rep ranges. Not sure if you will be able to make them explosive enough for Q&D, but something you could try.

@gaesor, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

Have you actually tried doing swings? And are you doing your swings barefoot?

-S-

@Bunn @Steve Freides thanks guys.

I strapped it up tight this morning and managed to do light TGUs. And yes Steve, always barefoot

I haven't tried swings yet, but I can get down into a full squat now (which I couldn't yesterday). I'll give swings a go tomorrow, and just be even more careful than usual.

The Tabata Method, Perfected | T Nation

Dan John mentions Goblet Squats among other exercises that work with the Tabata protocol...maybe you could try it out with the Q&D swing format. It won't work the same muscles as a swing of course, but maybe it'll treat your ankles better for the time being.

I have the most jacked up ankles you can imagine from decades of basketball and innumerable injuries. My ankles are bone on bone and my current "normal" makes it impossible to run, and often walk, normally. Over a couple a couple of decades of lifting kettlebells, I've almost never been unable to swing or snatch due to an ankle injury -- even when I couldn't walk.

Squats and get ups put a lot more stress on the ankles than swings, which can be done with minimal ankle flexion. Even pushups put more stress on my ankles than swings.

If I can stand upright and put weight on my foot, I can swing.

@Steve W. thanks for that. It does seem like I was needlessly worrying. I tried swings and snatches today and yes, less stress on my ankle that the TGUs I did yesterday.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom