all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Q regarding TRX

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi
I'm moving onto s and s in the new year with a 40 but a few of the guys who I have been speaking to have spoken highly of the benefits of using a Trx in their routines; some of these guys are KB enthusiasts. Has anyone any experiences of using Trx alongside KB or S and S?
Thanks
Conor

Conor,

TRX is a great piece of equipment to have in the tool kit. I have one and every once in a while and I'll throw in suspended planks, spiderman pushups, Y or T flys, etc. I don't use it as a "standalone" routine, but it's great when it comes to mobility and rehabilitation. I used the TRX to rehab an AC joint injury last year (and stays strong with copious amounts of get-ups). So I suggest using it for mobility or an "active rest" day since its great for blood-flow.
-WF

@Whisky_fox Cheers, with a handle like that you must have Irish blood sloshing about somewhere! Thanks, a few guys over here are promoting the use of TRX and I know Dan John uses them but thanks for the clarification about using them as standalone routine. I have committed to S and S and after months of surfing different routines it's great just to focus on the goals outlined in the book. Ok, I'll look into a TRX as mobility tool, happy Xmas and a great new year!!
Nollaig Shona Duit
Conor

Hello Conor!

I have had a TRX since 2008, and agree with WF that it is a great piece of equipment. I think kettlebells and TRX are a perfect combo. Their stand alone military programs (the original FORCE program and the new Tactical Program) are pretty good stand alone programs, especially when equipment isn't around. Agree with WF on the exercises cited as being the best on the TRX. I would add inverted rows as well. Side planks are also a lot of fun, along with their version of the hinge (think of an ab wheel rollout).

A couple of links you might find of interest:

Build the Perfect Home Gym | T Nation

Hope this helps!

John Mc

Great John, I'll look at that, I had thought that KB and Trx would complement one another. Dan John regularly cites the use of TRX and if Dan recommends it there must be real value in using them. Interested in seeing how they might improve mobility as that's an area I need to work on.
Thanks

TRX enthusiasts: what is the advantage of the TRX over a set of gymnastics rings?
Baker,
One of the best advantages of a TRX over gymnastic rings are its portability and use during travel times. The TRX "straps" are linked to a single anchor point, whereas gymnastic rings require 2 separate points. Making the TRX simpler and quicker to setup.

Don't get me wrong, I like gymnastic rings too. I have a pair set up in my garage. I just think the TRX is superior when it comes to traveling and whatnot.
-WF

Again, agree with WF. My comments below:

Difference between TRX & Rings?

I would say the biggest difference is flexibility in setting up. Rings have two anchor points and it just seems easier to set them up in a permanent location and forget about moving them. The TRX has one anchor point and it is pretty easy to set up anywhere (door, any type of pole, tree trunk, etc.). That being said, that flexibility comes at a cost, dollar wise and functionality wise. Since the TRX has one anchor point, the straps form a triangle where doing ring dips and muscle ups are not the best on the TRX. You end up hitting the straps. Rings are better for those exercises, assuming you have them set up the normal way. I bought the TRX back in 2008 when I traveled a bit, so I always appreciated the flexibility of setting it up pretty much anywhere I traveled. I also think they are well built, especially the military versions.

I think the TRX and rings are different. When I have space where I can build a permanent gym, I will get a set of rings, specifically for the exercises mentioned, but I will keep the TRX for when I travel, or just want to get outside.

Other differences:

Rings are round, offering a variety of grip positions , whereas the TRX has handles, essentially locking you into one position for the most part, though some might find that more comfortable than rings. The TRX has foot cradles which makes it easy to do exercises like hip presses.

TRX is more expensive (generally), but it you wait till one of their sales, you can get a decent deal.

I also thought the TRX programs that I tried (The original military program and the new Tactical program) were pretty good and I use them (or variations) while traveling and don’t have access to my kettlebells. I credit that Iron Circuit Conditioning (see video above that I posted) program in convincing me to get into the kettlebells. The DVD had an intro to kettlebells (the swing, TGU and goblet squat) taught by Pavel.

I own a TRX since 2011. Love it, though I don't use it as much these days. I only take it with me when I travel by plane now. You can use it everywhere and is easy to setup.

I have never used it in combination wit KBs though

is there any benefit to that trx and kettlebell single leg suspended hip thing v a heavy swing?

I always viewed the TRX hip press as sort of a unilateral glute bridge. My experience is that the TRX hip press (weighted or unweighted) always emphasized the hamstrings more than the glutes. I think it is because your leg tends to curl as you press down. The glutes are definitely working, but I always felt it hit the hamstrings more.

As for swings, I always thought they hit the glutes more. Hamstrings are obviously worked, but it was the glutes.

I don't think they are substitutes. It would be hard to replace KB swings with anything (sprinting, olympic lifting, dimmel deadlifts?). That being said, the single leg TRX hip press could help ensure balance in the hamstrings/glutes. I emphasize could. I can only refer to my experience and I am far from an expert.

Perhaps that is why Pavel included them in the program (balance)?

I personally find the single anchor point of the TRX very annoying to use (as opposed to set up), to the point of being a dealbreaker. The Lifeline Jungle Gym XT is very TRX-like, but gives you two anchor points. The straps and hardware that most gymnastics rings come with is more cumbersome to mount than the TRX or Jungle Gym XT, but a similar mounting system can be rigged up pretty easily with a little ingenuity. I use a couple of short climbing slings/runners (a sewn loop of webbing) and carabiners.

Actually the suspension trainer I keep mounted on my power rack and use most often is the Bodyweight Culture USA (which I believe is no longer manufactured). It's contructed with multiple handles, like the rungs of a ladder. This makes it very convenient since you don't have to adjust it, just use the handles at the height you want. I don't like the feel of the handles nearly as much as wood gymnastics rings, but love the ease of use. The USA also lends itself to a wide variety of isometric exercises when it isn't mounted as a suspension trainer, which is a very useful but underutilized kind of training, and is especially convenient when travelling.

I personally find the single anchor point of the TRX very annoying to use (as opposed to set up), to the point of being a dealbreaker.
I second that. Give me a pair of wooden gymnastics rings with adjustable straps any day--I have yet to be on the road in a place where I couldn't find somewhere to rig them up if I look hard enough.

(The "plan B" exercise for those times away from the KBs is handstand pushups on the rings, and with a TRX, that's just not happening.)

@John McDonough , thanks for that. I don't have trx but do have rings, hung from my conservatory rafter. To the original question: using trx with kbs and s&s. When I started s&s, I asked the forum about mixing it with muscle up ring training. Pavel suggested that it would be a lot of grief for the shoulder. So I ditched the muscle ups and focused on s&s. So the question is what is it you intend to do with trx? Strength, mobility, skill and volume of? And will there be conflict with s&s, or indeed be of assistance to it? A hybrid session of kb and trx? If done for mobility, probably would be OK, wouldn't it? Done for strength? Then maybe scale back s&s. Or, as is quite often stated, get to simple first, then see where you are at, what you need/want to do.
My rings are hung ready for use on a daily basis now for pull ups and rop. For a while they were down - with sighs of relief from my wife - and now they are back up I pop up for some hanging, a couple of skin the cats and the odd inverted hang. So, yeah, I literally hang out with them on most days. Wonderful.
During s&s, where I reluctantly had to take them down for large chunks of time and after a stupid incident with my old knee, I dropped the get ups for a bit and did hanging leg raises on rings, some presses and onto windmills before getting back into the get ups again when ready. Hanging leg raises and heavy get ups as s&s? No way. Too much, for me anyway. As a temporary strength component minus get ups, great. So back to the question, why mix trx? Mobility, probably fine, strength, be careful and aware of what your goals are. And in the context of s&s, the simple goal is the goal.

ali,

I am far from an expert in these matters, so please take my opinion for what it is, an opinion. I am a big follower of Dan John and one of his favorite sayings is to keep the goal, the goal. I find that true in life, once I have too many goals, none of them get accomplished. Focus on one, it gets done.

I used the TRX for mobility when I was doing S&S. I did a few (total 8-10 reps) of the shoulder flys (aka I's, Y's, etc.). They were at an easy angle, so not too difficult. For comparison, in TRX military program, I was easily doing 5x the amount of reps at a much more challenging angle (meaning more difficult).

Over the time I was doing S&S (close to a year), there was one 2 week break and a couple of 1 week breaks where I did not have access to my KB's. Then I used my TRX as a primary "strength" building tool and did a lot more reps and at a more difficult progression. Otherwise, it was more a mobility, warm up tool.

Arguably, the muscle up is one of the most challenging bodyweight exercises. It puts a lot of stress on the shoulders. Trying to do them while trying to accomplish S&S I would think put shoulders at risk.

As to why mix the TRX.....I am finding that minimalist programs are great in that you can zero in on some high yield exercises (swing and TGU) in a short period of time. However, i think where they lack is in mobility. I am essentially a desk bound person with a long commute. I need a lot more mobility that what is prescribed in S&S. I think it is great for basic strength, power and conditioning, but I needed more mobility drills. The TRX helped. I would think other things (yoga, etc.) would also be beneficial. Think about it, the human body can move in so many ways. It is hard to do that in a basic program. Note, I am saying move, and not with a load per se.

Hope this helps!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom