all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Qigong and the inner martial arts

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
Was listening to a Ben Greenfield podcast and he has Chris H on. He was talking about the benefits of Qigong. Has anyone integrated it into their routines or used it as a meditation its practice. Watched a few videos by a guy called Lee Holden. Looks interesting.

@conor78
Mostly I was taught by someone.
Unfortunately I don't currently have a teacher. A situation I am looking to remedy. Good teachers are very hard to come by.

But your observation is astute. A good combination indeed.
There are however many, many styles of both Tai-Chi, Qigong, Ba Gua, and all their variations.

If you've every seen "Tai Cheng" advertised on Beachbody (home of P90X and Insanity programs), it is a Tai Chi program by StrongFirst Senior SFG Dr. Mark Cheng. He was my team leader at SFG I and is a great instructor. I have the Tai Cheng program but haven't progressed too far with it... still on my list of things to do. I like what I've seen so far.

Thanks folks, its something I never used to consider but I suppose like most things your outlook and priorities change as you get older. Like most things that have been around for a long time there must be merit in it. Tried following a Lee Holden video after a kettlebell workout and it felt great though I'm sure it wouldn't win any prizes for aesthetics...

@conor78
I encourage you to explore it further. See if you can find a teacher or class in your area for some hands on guidance. Even if you didn't find it was for you after all it would still be a valuable experience.

And very true... ones outlook and priorities do change with the passage of time...

I've done baduanjin qigong and zhan zhuang on occasion. I really like it and should do it more. Horse stance had me sore as heck. :D

+1 for Zhan Zhuang!!!
I loved my standing practice, I never could get in tai chi though. It takes so much time and I never felt any real benefit (I have friends who swear by tai chi, so I'm referring to me personally when I say no benefit) but the standing postures were awesome! Really noticable difference from 12 mins of holding the ball (really I would start in wu chi and the arms would naturally rise as I naturally sunk lower over the course of the 12 min. I may add this back in to my routine (getting stoked just thinking about it).

I would never have brought this up with anyone, I'm so glad to have found like minded individuals!!

I never could get in tai chi though

Same here. I took a couple of classes at a local fitness center. I really wanted to learn it. The instructor was an older Mongolian fellow, some level of master, and a very nice gentleman who had many a story to tell. But I just coud not get my feet to do what my brain wanted. I don't know about anyone else, but there were times I worked up a real sweat with zhan zhuang.

One of the great things about this community is that even though our individual practice and our goals may differ greatly, we are all for the most part pretty like-minded...
So true..although strength is the common denominator on this forum you will find a wide range of interests and expertise. I used to discount "stuff " like qigong. But then I would have scoffed at Wim Hoff and meditation until I tried it.

"Absorb what is useful. Discard what is not. Add what is uniquely your own."
Bruce Lee
This quote pretty much sums up how I invest my time.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom