Quad Strengthening (not sure where to post)

JasonRVA

Still New to StrongFirst Forum
Sorry, not sure where to post this.

I have some knee pain, the sports trainer at the high school where I teach/coach recommended some quad-strengthening exercises (e.g., leg extensions).

I've been hitting front squats pretty hard a la PlanStrong.

Any other exercises to do for this other than leg extensions, or is this more a remedial thing and I actually need an isolation exercise?

kennycro@@aol.com

Quadruple-Digit Post Count
Any other exercises to do for this other than leg extensions...
Shear Force

The Leg Extension places a lot of Shear Force on the knees. In other words, it is not a knee friendly exercise.

Overall, there isn't much value to Leg Extensions. Bodybuilder, as you indicated, use them as a Quad Isolation Exercise.

Give them a try and see if it helps.

Chrisdavisjr

Sorry, not sure where to post this.

I have some knee pain, the sports trainer at the high school where I teach/coach recommended some quad-strengthening exercises (e.g., leg extensions).

I've been hitting front squats pretty hard a la PlanStrong.

Any other exercises to do for this other than leg extensions, or is this more a remedial thing and I actually need an isolation exercise?
If you're squatting already, it seems unlikely that weak quads are the culprit. Knee pain could arise as a result of weakness/injury to the ankle. It might be worth looking at doing some calf raises or similar for a while and see if that helps.

Naturally, if your knee pain is bad, your first port of call should be a physiotherapist or other qualified professional, which I am not.

GeoffreyLevens

Knee pain could arise as a result of weakness/injury to the ankle.
Also medial glutes which, when working proper, provide rotational stability to the entire leg. My "pet peeve" since dead butt syndrome caused me to need cartilage surgery on one knee

offwidth

More than 5000 posts
SLDL's help fix lots of things...

I concur with @kennycro@@aol.com about the leg extensions; I would steer well clear of them. (There is a way to do partial / micro extensions but a competent trainer should show you those)

And yes if the pain persists or gets worse go see a qualified medical professional who specializes in these things

Molson

Triple-Digit Post Count

Steve Freides

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Senior Certified Instructor
Your hammies cross your knee joint. Swing a kettlebell or deadlift heavy. I have very little in the way of padding left in my knees - deadlifting is what keeps them happy.

-S-

Top Bottom