all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Quad Strengthening (not sure where to post)

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JasonRVA

Level 4 Valued Member
Sorry, not sure where to post this.

I have some knee pain, the sports trainer at the high school where I teach/coach recommended some quad-strengthening exercises (e.g., leg extensions).

I've been hitting front squats pretty hard a la PlanStrong.

Any other exercises to do for this other than leg extensions, or is this more a remedial thing and I actually need an isolation exercise?

Any other exercises to do for this other than leg extensions...

Shear Force

The Leg Extension places a lot of Shear Force on the knees. In other words, it is not a knee friendly exercise.

Overall, there isn't much value to Leg Extensions. Bodybuilder, as you indicated, use them as a Quad Isolation Exercise.

Give them a try and see if it helps.

I have some knee pain, the sports trainer at the high school where I teach/coach recommended some quad-strengthening exercises (e.g., leg extensions).

Any other exercises to do for this other than leg extensions, or is this more a remedial thing and I actually need an isolation exercise?

If you're squatting already, it seems unlikely that weak quads are the culprit. Knee pain could arise as a result of weakness/injury to the ankle. It might be worth looking at doing some calf raises or similar for a while and see if that helps.

Naturally, if your knee pain is bad, your first port of call should be a physiotherapist or other qualified professional, which I am not.

SLDL's help fix lots of things...

I concur with @kennycro@@aol.com about the leg extensions; I would steer well clear of them. (There is a way to do partial / micro extensions but a competent trainer should show you those)

And yes if the pain persists or gets worse go see a qualified medical professional who specializes in these things

Your hammies cross your knee joint. Swing a kettlebell or deadlift heavy. I have very little in the way of padding left in my knees - deadlifting is what keeps them happy.

-S-

This is a big problem a lot of people run into when their quad strength out paces their hamstring strength. Namely the hamstring head responsible for flexing the leg.

Do you do any GHRs or leg curls? My advice is if you have access to a GHR then do them. Treat is like an extended back raise. Explode from the bottom and then curl your legs using the momentum to assist you for the curl.

My advice is to further supplement with seated leg curls should you have access to them too. Start with just a few straight sets of 10 for a working weight.

Once you have developed enough hamstring strength then look at doing the GHR movement more strictly. So more like 2 movement. So back raise, pause, leg curl pause and then reverse.

I personally find that doing a lot of traction based posterior chain work has done wonders for knee health and lower back health. As well as altering my running form.

No leg extensions
Eat real food and hydrate.
Collagen and some hyaluronic acid, bone broth.
Couch stretch
Hip and leg strength, including lower legs, and mobility for the same areas.
Balance and unilateral work like the SLD 60 second test. You can find a demo on Stack.com
Lunge stretch that you can find from the Foundation Training guys, Park and Goodman.

Hack and Sissy squats.

Use bodyweight for the Sissy squats, and support yourself with one or both hands - don't bother going very deep either. If you get to knees at a 90° bend that's good enough.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom