all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Morning

Tap / HR : 76 / 61
OS resets
Wall hack squat @BW x 5

Rest of day
Rest. No lifting.

Morning

Tap / HR : 78 / 65
OS resets
Wall hack squat @BW x 5
Carry complex waiter->rack->suitcase @24kg x 1 + 1
Two-hand anyhow
@20kg + 16kg x 4 x 1
@24kg + 16kg x 2 x 1
20kg/24kg - bent press, 16kg - cheat curl to strict press
Evening
Two hand anyhow @20kg+16kg x 6 x 1

Notes
  • Movement prep: Last to days I did different or no movement prep. After the note in this entry I decided to play a bit and see what happens. This variety week feels like a good time to do so. If necessary I can do medium intensity session without prep. Something to remember when time constrained, no more excuses of lack of time :)
  • Two-hand anyhow: The recovery phase is completely different from the bent press. Much more pronounced load on the trunk. And searching for that 16kg in the bent position is no fun... Reading the 2HA section in Taming the Bent Press was important!
  • Next week: Skiing, no lifting.

So.... it's been a while since I've been posting. One week skiing, and one and half training without posting.

Back to business!

24.02 - 04.03.2017
Skiing at Mayrhofen, Austria.
OS resets in the morning and evening. Rocking variations in dorsiflexion really took stiff ankles away. Skiing is blamed for putting allot of load on the calves, therefore producing tight ankles, I now think that the lack of movement in the ankle is the cause of tightness (at least a large contributor)

05.03 - 11.03.2017
Allot of OS resets at playtime.
Loaded carry complexes (waiter->rack->suitcase) @24kg
Double clean & presses @24kg + 20kg x 2 for 4 - 5 sets a day GTGish

Morning

OS resest
Suitcase carry @32kg x 1 + 1

Throughout the day
Balance beam walk - I have a short 2"x 2" square steel I walk on for a few steps each time during the day

"Log" squats @10kg - balancing a short (180cm) barbell over the shoulder and squatting (without holding the bar) - some singles throughout the day

Evening
Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
Bent armbar @16kg x 3 +3

Justafied Bent Pressing - Cycle / Day - 1 / 1
Bent press @24kg x 30 x 1

Morning

OS resets

Throughout the day
Balance beam walking
"Log" squats @10kg for singles and triples
Barbell bent press @10kg for a few singles

Evening
Crappy weather for crawling so

Snatch
@24kg x 2 x 10
@28kg x 2 x 3 , 2 x 2​

Suitcase carry @48kg x 1 + 1

Morning

OS resets

Throughout the day
Balance beam walking
"Log" squats @10kg for singles and triples

Evening
Movement prep

OS resets
Log squat @10kg x 2 x 3
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
Bent armbar @16kg x 3 + 3

Justafied Bent Pressing - 1 / 2
Bent press @24kg x 34 x 1

Morning

OS resets
Half TGU with speed-bumps @16kg x 1 + 1
Tall kneeling and Half kneeling work @16kg

Throughout the day
Balance beam walking
Log squats @10kg x 4 x 3

Evening
Still crappy weather for crawling...

Log squats @10kg x 2 x 5
Barbell bent press @10kg x 2 x 1

One arm barbell snatch (Inspired by reading Arthur Saxon's The Development of Physical Power) - same short barbell
@10kg x 2 x 5
@15kg x 2 x 3
@20kg x 2 x 2
Log squat @20kg x 2 x 3 - set 1 on L was good, set 2 on R was not, not sure yet if I was to taxed or not.

Notes
  • Bent press: Back in action. Feel good.
  • Log squat: This is an awesome teaching tool! Here to stay. Bar on right shoulder is definitely less coordinated than left side. I found a (posture symmetry) gap to address :)
  • Balance beam walking: Will stay for a while
  • One arm barbell snatch: Very different than KB snatch so I used conservative weight. Will get proper attention sometime in the near future.
  • Crawling: Miss it. Can't wait for the weather to clear a little.
EDIT: Hack squats @BW are also done daily for sets of 5...

Last edited:
Morning - beach

HR / Tap : 59 / 79
Some rocking and reset leopard crawls
Beach volleyball x 4.5 sets

Noon
Log squat @10kg x 2 x 5
OH swing @24kg x 2 x 10

Evening
Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
Half speed-bump GU @16kg x 1 + 1 (~1:20 min each side)

Justafied bent pressing - 1 / 3
Bent press @24kg x 38 x 1

Loosening
Lower body segmental rolls
Modified windshield wiper
some baby crawling
Rocking windshield wiper

Notes
  • Pace: Was short on time so it was more or less on the minute. All the lifts were good, but still not something to be done more than once in a l-o-n-g while. Will not be able to keep it clean with higher weight. After the session I could feel the tension in the TLF (and the reason for the loosening). While crappy time management led to dumb session planning it was nice to know I can do 24kg x 38 easily with minimal recovery. I did test rotational ROM after almost every lift and OH and toe-touch ROM every 8-10 lifts to make sure my CNS is still with me.
  • Groove: Groove is good. Experimented with the second free hand position (Taming...). When I started bent pressing it was an unattainable position, now that I am somewhat proficient in the bent press it feels good. Can not get as deep bend than in the first position, but it feels that it guides you better in the groove. Maybe should experiment with some feet position to accompany.

Last edited:
Morning

HR / Tap : 59 / 80
OS resets
Suitcase carry @36kg x 1 + 1

Afternoon
Log squat @10kg x 3 + 3
OHBB snatch
@15kg x 2 + 2
@20kg x 2 + 2
@25kg x 1 + 1​

Afternoon - beach
Beach volleyball x 4 sets, started with a pronounced lack of focus, both me and my partner. Improved with each set and finished well. We both haven't played serious matches in about a month so the slow start is understood.
Movement was mostly good. Lacked some explosion, but it seems to be due to timing and concentration issues. If so two or three additional playing days will clear it up.

Morning

HR / Tap : no measurement, had to rush out to help a friend. Nothing serious, she forgot to bring lines to the beach so I lent her mine...
Went on my day so nothing

Rest of day
Felt non-moving. Canceled the bent press session because of that. In retrospect a long movement prep would probably help. Did some beam walking and log squats before I went to sleep and it felt good...

Morning

HR / tap : 58 / 76
OS resets
BU carry @16kg

Throughout the day
BU clean @16kg
BU carry @16kg
Log squats @10kg

Evening
Just as I was about to start bent pressing a friend asked me to dinner. Thought I would be able to bent press after but was wrong. I chalk it up to life.

Morning

OS resets
WRS carry complex @24kg x 1 + 1 (waiter->rack->suitcase)

Afternoon
Movement prep

BU carry @16kg
OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
Half speed-bump TGU @16kg x 1 + 1

Justafied Bent Pressing - 1/4
Bent press @24kg x 42 x 1

Notes
  • Program: Time requirements is the downside of Justafied bent pressing. It was the first time that I miss a session (I delayed a day a few time in the past). Yet, should plan my days better when on such a program.
  • Free hand position: Kept experimenting with free hand position. Adopted today a variant of the 1st position, called it 1.5. I kind of used the off hand like in the Short Stop drill to guide the hinge, than pushing against the off - side knee and supporting the on-side knee before recovery.

Morning

HR / Tap : 56 / 75
OS resets
BU carry @16kg x 1 + 1

Evening
OHBB snatch
@20kg x 2 + 2
@25kg x 2 + 2 , 2 x (1 + 1)​

Morning

HR / Tap : 55 / 78
OS resets - long session

Evening
Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
Log squat @10kg x 2 x 5
Half speed bump TGU @16kg x 1 + 1

Justafied Bent Pressing - 1 / 5
Bent press @24kg x 46 x 1

Note
  • Presence: Opened the door to some non-lifting thoughts and lost some focus towards the end of the session. All lifts were good, but called for some extra mental effort to keep the groove smooth.
  • Groove: I sometimes keep the arm tight to my body a little to long. If the bend is not very deep while doing so it calls for some extra press at lockout. Probably was part of the focus thing today.

Morning

HR / Tap : 59 / 79
BU carry @16kg x 2 x (1 + 1)

Noon
Some OS resets

Evening - old time strongmen theme
Wrestler's bridge @10kg x~12 x 1
Most with bar across the hips, some with bar in the press position​

(some OS commando rocking)

OHBB snatch
@20kg x 1 + 1
@25kg x 4 x (1 + 1)​

Log squat @25kg x 2 x (1 + 1)

Two handed barbell lift to shoulder (barbell bent press setup from The Development of Physical Power) @25kg x 2 x (1 + 1)

Notes about today's old time strongmen lifts
  • Wrestler's bridge: The press position is very challenging. I guess because it is more difficult to contract the lats tightly in this position.
  • One hand barbell snatch: This follows a quite different groove than KB snatch. Lack of ballistic eccentric phase means you need to drive harder and calls for triple extension mechanics (at least I defaulted to it automatically), since the bar is not thrown behind the path is more vertical inspiring to no arc and balancing a barbell OH is way more challenging than balancing a KB.
  • Log squat: Fabric does not cut it as weight get bigger. Not spreading the load well enough and susceptible to slipping.
  • 2H lift to shoulders: Racking a barbell with one hand perpendicular to the body is way more strenuous than a KB.

Morning

HR / Tap : 57 / 79
OS resets
Wall hack squat @BW x 5

Evening
Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @24kg x 5

Justafied Bent Pressing - 1 / 6
Bent press @24kg x 50 x 1

Note

I over did it with the wrestler bridge yesterday so my neck was a bit tight and called for longer resets in the morning. Had none to minor effect on the bent press.

EDIT: added 2-3 minutes of foam rolling for my mid back and last

Last edited:
Morning

HR / Tap : 60 / 77

Spent the entire day (~9:30 hrs) at the beach, we had summer opening beach volleyball tournament. Some OS resets, some beach volleyball, lots of sun and beer.

No lifting. Had enough to recover from :)

Morning

HR / Tap : 65 / 81 - 65 bpm HR show that I did had enough to recover from.
OS resets

Noon
Rack carry @32kg x 1 + 1
Some OS like any other day

Evening
Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
Half speed-bumps TGU @16kg x 1 + 1

Justafied Bent Pressing - 2 / 1
Bent press @28kg x 30 x 1

Notes
  • 28kg competition bell: Last time I used the bigger bells size of the competition bell was hard to handle. Now that I am more proficient, confident, and schooled (I mentioned @Brett Jones's article about pressing heavy bells somewhere in my log) it was not an issue.
  • Off hand position: I have experimented with what I called 1.5 position with the 24kg (positions 1 and 2 are mentioned in Taming... this for me feels like something in between) and said that while it felt comfortable with the 24kg this should be reevaluated with heavier bells. It felt good with the 28kg, and when I tried 1st position on a few lifts it seemed I had less control and that my bend is more accurate in 1.5. Will try some 2nd position next session.
  • Setup order: I have experimented a little with setup order. I used to clean, than set feet & hip position, than put the bell in the back rack and bend from there. I tired today a few lifts when I tried to back rack first and than set feet & hip. My old way felt better, which is logical since adjusting the hips after you rotated is weird...
  • Half speed-bump TGU: These feel great. Spending around 1:30 min each side under tension while exploring shoulder (both OH and support) and neck positions in 3 postures (supine, elbow, tall sit) really makes you lock in the stable positions. That is definitely a good thing. That cleared the residual right shoulder "clicks" I had left. Don't need the intra-session shoulder distraction RNTs anymore (I do a few and feel that they don't do much anymore, they did in the past).

Last edited:
Morning

HR / Tap : 63 / 80
Experimented with no OS resets n the morning... I do it once in a while to see how my body react to no movement in the morning

Noon - beach
Prep

OS resets and playing for strength

OS Performance
Leopard crawling x 5 min total (took 6 sets to achieve)

• Just start the timer, stop between sets and finish when it hits 5 min. Stopping each set when I feel fatigue is around the corner (about 5 - 10 sec short of fatigue).
  • Felt great, stride length was good, even after about a month without crawling

Evening - home - Oldtime Strongmen ES
OHBB snatch
@10kg x 2 + 2
@20kg x 2 x (2 + 2) , 1 + 1
  • Working on setup technique, making sure I'm tight at the bottom and not tension hunting when I start the pull.

Last edited:
Morning

HR / Tap : 65 / 79
OS resets
W/R/S carry complex @24kg x 1 + 1

Rest of day
Something felt of this day, maybe lack of food or the changing seasons... postponed bent pressing and did the following loaded carries throughout the day

Farmer @60kg x 1
Suitcase @48kg x 1 + 1
Waiter+suitcase @24kg+32kg x 1 + 1
BU @16kg x 1 + 1
BU @20kg x 1/2 + 1/2
OS resets - long session at the beach

Maybe I should of just done the resets....

Morning

HR / Tap : 61 / 81
OS resets

Evening
Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
Log squat @10kg x 3 + 3

Justafied Bent Pressing - 2/2
Bent press @28kg x 34 x 1

Lacked some focus at the beginning of the session. Previous session felt better.

Loosening
Some modified windshield wipers and lower body half rolls

Taking a look at this and had to go back and verify the larger number was really the rep counts on those Bent Press...and I thought I did a fair volume! That is a solid run.

I started practicing bent press some time ago and really like to read your log @Shahaf Levin :)
When I finish RoP I would like to start Justa's Singles program from "Taming the bent press" book, same as you. How long are your rest periods between those singles? I feel that recommended 1-2 between sets is too long, especially that one set is only one side.

Thanks @damogari!

I don't time them anymore and go by feel, but it is around 1 min. I did timed the rests most of the first run and kept it 1+ min. Don't forget you have 30-50 sets and you want to stay fresh for every single lift, and to recover for the next session. Furthermore, once you finish your cycle (6 sessions, 50 lifts in the final session) you jump in weight to all the lifts. Even with 40kg bent press 4kg jump is 10%, which means you are at the far end of the target zone.

I suggest to do the recommended rest periods and make sure you are fresh. On the end of you second cycle you can start experiment, but stay fresh. Every single lift should be done with maximal accuracy and be treated as a separate learning opportunity. That's how you make each session 40 times better ;)

Morning

HR / Tap : 58 / 80
OS resets
BU carry @16kg x 1 + 1

Evening - Old-time Strongmen theme
Wanted to crawl by it was very windy outside... Did old-time strongmen stuff, kept volume down due to susceptible insufficient recovery lately.

Prep

OS resets

Work
Wrestler's bridge (bar on hips)
@BW x 2
@10kg x 2
@15kg x 2
Log squat @15kg x 2 x 5 - right side less smooth

Barbell bent press @10kg x 1 + 1 (as snatch prep)

OHBB snatch
@20kg x 1 + 1
@25kg x 2 x (1 + 1)​

Notes
  • Wrestler's bridge: I can up the volume or load in the bar on hips position. Staying away from press position for now.
  • Log squat: Goblet squats prep next time (R). Currently done with wide stance to keep torso upright as much as possible. Should probably take the weight back to 10kg and work on narrowing the stance.
  • OHBB snatch: I don't dip to catch and keeping it whip-snatch-ish. Should start to experiment with some dipping, mostly since this is what Arthur Saxon writes in The Development of Physical Power.

Morning

HR / Tap : 61 / 76

Beach volleyball x ~3:30 hrs, OS in between sets

Night
BU clean @16kg x 5 + 5 , @20kg x 3 + 3

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom