all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Programing
Due to various life things (mostly good) I had to delay the Justafied Bent Pressing session. Since this is the third time in less than two weeks I think I should put this program on hold for now and use a more flexible one for the time being.

I switch back to Bent & Sinister. It's less time consuming and more flexible regarding training days. It still allow me to bent press and will force me back to swinging.

Morning

OS resets
Suitcase carry @32kg x 1 + 1

Noon
Acroyoga practice ~1:30 hrs. Light and basic, haven't done any for six weeks.

Evening
Prep

OS resets
Wrestler's bridge @15kg x 3
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
Half speed-bump TGU @16kg x 1 + 1

Bent & Sinister - oldtime
Barbell bent press
@15kg x 4 x 1
@20kg x 2 x 1
@25kg x 6 x 1​

One hand barbell snatch @20kg x 2 x 3, 2 x 2

Notes
  • Oldtime: Will do it around once a week.
  • Barbell bent press: Harder for me than equivalent weight KB. More brain power goes for balancing. Setup is more difficult than KB and need work. I raise the bar when I put it in the side/back rack and therefore loose some tension (and strength). It acts as a self limiting exercise - shoulder stability deficits that can be hidden with a kettlebell is greatly amplified with a bar.

Morning

HR / Tap : 61 / 76
OS resets
Suitcase carry @36kg x 1 + 1

Evening
Movement prep

OS resets
Wrestler's bridge @10kg x 3
Goblet squat @24kg x 5
Half SP TGU @16kg x 1 + 1
Bent armbar @16kg x 3 + 3

Bent & Sinister
Bent press
@24kg x 4 x 1
@32kg x 2 x 1
@24kg x 2 x 1
@32kg x 2 x 1
@24kg x 2 x 1
OH swing @24kg x 6 x 10

Notes
  • Bent press: 32kg is definitely a working weight. Though not easy by any means.
  • Swings: Swings were crisp and easy, had plenty left in the tank but since I haven't swung in a long time I kept the volume down. Used the off hand to tap the working hand occasionally to make sure I'm square at the top. That's a great cue I picked somewhere from the blog (one @Pavel Macek article and from another one I can't remember now). Makes the OHS self-limiting in the rotary stability aspect. Enriching sensory input is always welcome.

Lifting prep music
Since I started my StrongFirst / Easy Strength / etc. journey I prefer to lift in silence and getting in a somewhat meditative state. However, I recently found out that the music I listen to before I lift has impact. Today I even experimented with music in the rest periods and light bent presses. I had good results.

By the way, while I never actually listen to them deliberately, uncontrolled-small-sample-size-pseudo-scientific-experiment showed my lifting music is Roxette

Morning

HR / Tap : 61 / 79
OS resets

Evening
Movement prep

OS resets
Wrestler's bridge @BW x 3
Goblet squat @24kg x 5
Half SP TGU @16kg x 1 + 1

Bent & Sinister
Bent press
@24kg x 4 x 1
@32kg x 4 x 1
@24kg x 2 x 1
One hand swing @24kg x 8 x 10

Notes
  • Swings: Right side of neck was a little stiff and I had to concentrate extra to keep shoulder packing on that side. On reps I lost some focus I didn't exactly lost packing but felt some strain in the shoulder and neck. When concentrated it felt fine. No affect felt in the bent press.

Morning

HR / Tap : 56 / 79
OS resets

Afternoon
Prep

Breathing
Neck nods

Bent & Sinister
Bent press @24kg x 4 x 1
Snatch @24kg x 5 + 5

Loosening
Neck nods

Had less than 10 minutes to practice so did the basic resets and practiced a handful of bent presses and snatches. Right neck still had some tightness which was a felt on the downswing of the snatch. I retrospect should have add the loosening time to the prep and would have probably reduced the tightness....

EDIT : added missing HR and CNS tap measurements

Last edited:
Morning

HR / Tap : 59 / 80
OS resets
Rack carry @32kg x 1 + 1
Suitcase carry @48kg x 1 + 1
Goblet squat @20kg x 5

Evening
Pre lifting music

Someday / The blues rebels

Movement prep
Some Supernova work on right scapula do to neck tightness last couple of days (after the OS breathing)
OS resets
Wrestlers' bridge @BW x 3
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
Half SB TGU @16kg x 1 + 1
Bent armbar @16kg x 3 + 4

Bent & Sinister
Bent press @24kg x 6 x 1
One hand swing @24kg x 10 x 5

Notes
  • Longer morning session + movement prep: I went back to my desk job after 4 month vacation. In less than a week I felt the lack of constant movement and the "throughout the day" stuff. Reminded me why my morning session used to be longer... I found a big box to sit on instead of a chair as an elevated floor. Need to find a bigger one...
  • Bent press: Took a deliberate step down in weight and volume in order to steadily step back up. Felt great, resisted the urge to jump back to the 32kg. Patience :)
  • Swing: Worked on lat engagement at the top of the plank. I lost a little bit of lock during the float phase and let some of the float come from "soft" shoulder. I think that's why I had some tightness in the neck - something had to stabilize the joint... Felt good. Did some shoulder packing RNT drills with a band between sets.

I felt the lack of constant movement and the "throughout the day" stuff. Reminded me why my morning session used to be longer...
Fellow desk jockey here. This is why I train in the morning. Sitting all day long makes all the wrong muscles tight in all the wrong ways. But when I train a few hours after waking up early and do some relaxation work it's not as big of an issue.

Fellow desk jockey here. This is why I train in the morning. Sitting all day long makes all the wrong muscles tight in all the wrong ways. But when I train a few hours after waking up early and do some relaxation work it's not as big of an issue.

I need to work on waking up earlier. . .

Morning

HR / Tap : 58 / 82
OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 5

Evening
Movement prep

OS resets
Wrestlers' bridge @BW x 3
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
Half SB TGU @16kg x 1 + 1
3/4 SB TGU (tall-sit to windmill speed-bump) @16kg x 1 + 1
Bent armbar @16kg x 3 + 3

Bent & Sinister
Bent press @24kg x 8 x 1
One hand swing @24kg x 10 x 7

Notes
  • Bent press: Going down the weight I lost some of the attention I gave to the recovery phase. Since bad habit are easy to ingrain I need give it some extra attention next session. Re-patterning the recovery with the 32kg overhead is less than ideal.
  • Swing: Keep focusing on lat engagement at the top, cueing myself to squeeze the armpit. Feels better and tighter. It seems the float "mechanics" has changed. Now the arm is not completely straight at the float and has a small elbow bend.

So... haven't been posting for the last 3+ months, mainly due to deep desire to cut down on screen time after going back to deskbound day job , I've also been at the beach more or less daily playing beach volleyball... no computers at the beach :). I kept training and I missed this community so I am back, even if not on a daily-update schedule.

What I've up to since my last update (6.4)?

Strength training

Every morning started with some OS resets and most days some loaded carries

Bent & Sinister:
About an additional month

Justa's daily singles - Bent press
Added a single to Justa's original program for even rep days (4 to 16) and done half the reps each side like @Iron Tamer's Justafied Bentpressing in the every-other-day program.

week 1 @ 24kg, week 2 @ 28kg, week 3 @ 32kg (stopped after 10 rep day 4 and), week 3.5 @28kg (started at from 10 rep day 4), week 4 @ 32kg

Did 40 - 80 1 arms wings @24kg almost daily, from time to time collected 4-5 min of leopard crawling at the beach instead

Justa's daily singles - 2 Hands Anyhow
same format as last cycles bent press

week 1 @24kg + 16kg , week 2 @28kg + 16kg , week 3 @ 32kg + 16kg
(BtP KB + curl & press KB)

It took almost 4 calendar weeks since I took some days off when felt a need. Did 40 - 80 swings a day on week 1 and 2. None on week 3 - the total body & CNS load was enough from the 2HA.

Justa's daily singles - Hands & thighs lift (1/4 deadlift)
Tested sorta-max @ 165kg, as Justa's original daily singles (3 - 15 singles a day)

week 1 @ 114kg , week 2 @ 118kg , week 3 @ 122kg , week 4 @ 126kg

Lifted mostly early in the morning, prep work was some OS resets, Cook drill (W->R->S loaded carry) @16kg x 1 + 1 (~4-5 min), some days @20kg (more than some the last week), sometimes also goblet squat@20kg

Spices (afternoon):
w1 - BU half TGU and armbar @16kg, some full BU TGU @16kg (CNS!!!), never more than total of 6 singles of all lifts together.
w2 - BU TGU @16kg, TGU@24kg - mostly 4 - 6 singles, once 8.
w3+4 - DB bent press - 4 daily singles - 22kg to 29.5kg, increasing weight every 3 days

spices prep was some OS resets and either bent armbar, BU armbar, BU 1/2 TGU or BU TGU @16kg, sometime no KB work on prep

Today
No lifting. First (lifting) rest day in at least 30 days.

Beach Volleyball
Been playing almost daily, most days med-low intensity, some med-high. Just as in skill-strength training, moderation and consistency pays dividends. My level of skill have not suffered from doing mostly med-low level work. Strength and energy wise I feel great. The alignment-centered training (BtP and 2HA, 1/4DL) are awesome for me (the fact that Justa instruct to work on speed on the 1/4DL probably didn't hurt).

What's next?
Well, no lifting today, maybe tomorrow as well :)
Next will go back to swinging the 24kg in the morning for 2-4 weeks, will probably keep bent pressing 4-6 singles in the afternoon. I hope to update the log once or twice a week.

Last edited:
Another no lifting day. 4-5 "heavy" sets of beach volleyball at night (at the tail end of me coaching). Good level from everybody, I played well until the last set were my brain quit on me and I couldn't time my attack approach well enough (this is my week link and therefore the first go to away when tired). Even though we still took the set to 23:21

19 - 22.07.17
Morning prep

OS resets - mostly windshield wipers and rocking variations
Cook drill @16/20kg - alternating daily, but by feel, not design

Main lift - Justafied swinging
OHS @24kg x 4, 6, 8, 10 sets x 5 reps (10 reps on the 19th)

I really like Justa's singles programs (did for a long time for bent pressing, 2HA and 1/4DL). Since my mind-CNS-body reacts very well to them I though about giving a try a Justafy the swing... so far so good, will report back.

Spice lift
2HA @24kg+20kg x 4 x 1 on the 19th and 20th
2HA @28kg+16kg x 4 x 1 since than

cheat-curling the 20kg have not felt crisp enough and put some strain on my left pectoralis. Cleared easily with some Supernova smashing and stabilized with some armbars and BU 1/4 TGU, but I listened and kept the curl bell lighter, increased the BtP bell to keep overall body load the same (feels moderate+).

23-27.07.17
Morning prep

Cook drill @20/16kg - mostly 20kg, by feel, not design
Some goblet squats @24kg

OHS @24kg x 12, 14, 16 sets x 5 reps

Two days with no swings between the 12 and 14 sets days due to time constraints. Did 5 runs of 16m leopard crawls while towing sand bags (didn't weight them, but probably around 16-20kg) and some walking/marching with a sandbag on my head.

Spice lift

2HA @28kg+16kg x 4, 6 x 1, only twice in 5 days due to same time constraints as swings

28.07-05.08.17
Morning prep

Cook drill @20/24kg - by feel
Some goblet squats and contra-lateral SLDL @24kg

OHS @28kg x (4 , 6 , 8 , 10 , 12 , 14 , 16) sets x 5 reps

Two days with no swings, one between the 8 and 10 sets days due to BVB fatigue and one between 12 and 14 because of neck stiffness due to a hit to the throat suffered on the evening the day of 12.

Spice lift

3 days of 2HA @28kg+16kg x 4 x 1
1 day of leopard crawl towing sandbag for 8 runs of ~16 m
3 days of bent press @32kg (4 , 4 , 6) x 1
2 days no spice lifts (one of time constraints and one on the neck-stiffness rest day)

General
The last two days trained somewhat GTG. I've been practicing while watching the Beach Volleyball World Championship... did sets between points or on timeouts. While there is no problem of recovery, I find it harder to get in a "meditative lifting" state with so much external stimulus. While it is a valuable skill, locking yourself into practice-mode in an instant, at the moment practicing in a "sensory deprived" environment is probably more beneficial.

Last edited:
06/08/17
Morning

OS resets

Evening
Prep

OS resets
Cook drill @20kg x 1 + 1 (one hand switch)
Goblet squat @24kg x 3
SLDL @24kg x 1 + 1

Main lift - Hand & Thighs lift Sorta-Max
Hand & thighs lift
@114kg x 1
@134kg x 2
@154kg x 1
@172kg x 1
@180kg x 1
Programing
Loaded a 126kg bar (70%) for Justa's daily singles starting tomorrow morning. Will mix ROM changes instead of weight changes in the start of each week, mostly because 180kg is all the iron I own and for now would see how far I can milk it without adding new bells.

H&T might be switched with swinging every 2 weeks for now, I'll decide in 2 weeks. Spice lifts will be by feel and will be probably from the pool of KB/DB bent press, TGU (standard, BU, modified with speed-bumps), loaded crawls, maybe also push press or military press. Will see if I can keep it less structured and more spicy...

07-12.08.17
Morning prep

Cook drill @20/24kg - by feel
Some BU clean & squat @16kg, sometimes @20kg

Main lift - H&T Justa's daily singles

Hand & Thighs lift @126kg x (3 , 5 , 7 , 9 , 11 , 13) sets x 1 rep

I busted a callus on my right ring finger while swinging 2 weeks ago (My fault, didn't took care of my hands well enough that week). While it had no affect on my swings it limits my grip comfort on the H&T so I am doing most sets with mixed grip (did all double overhand the previous 4 weeks). I think allot of it I psychological inhibition of griping hard a heavy rotating bar, but I am not gonna fight it and will throw in some overhand grip when it feels right like I did the last 6 sessions.

Spice lift

Played allot with BU work, mostly with 16kg.
Some BU TGU @16kg, 1/2 BU TGU @20kg
BU clean & squat @16kg and 20kg, BU clean & press & squat
Tall kneeling, half kneeling and straddle sit BU press @16kg
One day of leopard crawling while towing a sandbag x 2 x 16m , 3 x 20m

It's been a variety week on the spice-lift, will be back to a more structured form tomorrow.

13-18.08.17
Morning prep

Cook drill @20 - the BU clean with 24kg haven't felt clean enough
Some BU tall-sit presses and BU clean & squat @16kg, sometimes @20kg

Hand & Thighs lift @126kg x 15 sets x 1 rep

Hand & Thighs lift - 2" @126kg x (3 , 5 , 7 , 9 , 11) sets x 1 rep

Grip is getting back on track. Mixing mixed grip with hook and overhand and staying conservative with double overhand at the moment.

ROM change - as planned, increased ROM instead of increasing weight. Feels good.

Spice lift

I averaged ~7 hours a day at the beach so I dialed back the spice lift work. Gave more emphasis in the morning BU work. Did an session I logged Neural Connectivity Complex which derived from Dan John's Armor Building Complex but with a single BU KB instead of Dbl KB - 1 clean + 3 presses + 2 squats @BU 16kg. Really lights up your CNS.

19-21.08.2017
Rest. Visiting my parents. Some OS resets, some BU work with 16kg.

22 - 23.08.2017
Morning prep

Cook drill @20
Some BU tall-sit presses and Neural Connectivity Complex @16kg

Hand & Thighs lift - 2" @126kg x (13 ,15) sets x 1 rep

Felt good, grooved, fast.

Spice lift

Bent press @24kg x (4 , 6) x 1

Programing
Next cycle

Starting in about 15 minutes, main lift is back to swings. Will start @24kg, sets of 10 reps. Spice lift will be bent press, might be varied with two-hand any how.

Future
Mined my logs and thought allot about goals, modalities (both mixing and switching), volume, intensity, etc. and reviewed the last 10 months of my training. Started designing a cycle that suppose to take the best of both worlds of mixing and switching modalities (mixing - S&S, switching - ROTK), should be simple to follow, adaptable of the level of practitioner and productive. Will post at the forum when I'll have a design.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom