all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
24 - 28.08.2017
OS resets - mostly windshield wipers and rocking variations

Cook drill @(24kg , 24kg , 20kg) - 3 days
Some BU tall-sit presses and Neural Connectivity Complex @16kg

Main lift - Justafied swinging

OHS @24kg x (4 , 6 , 8 , 4) sets x 10 reps

Last day was hard so I cut the session short at 4 sets.
The add-two-sets-each-day worked well at sets of 5, not so much at sets of 10. The huge amount of beach volleyball I've been playing lately can't help with recovery. The late August heat probably takes it's toll as well.

Spice lift
Bent press @24kg x (6 , 4 , 4) x 1 - 3 days

29.08 - 02.09.2017
Morning prep

OS resets

Conjugate sequence training
Body management modality

29.08 - 31.08
Leopard crawl - collecting (4:18 min, 4:18, 4:28) at (11:30 min , 16:30 , 12:30)

Going by feel for now. The 31.08 was more of short high-speed legs, earlier sessions were at a normal speed legs. Feels good to be crawling again.

Cook drill @24kg x 4 min

Tall-sit BU press @16kg x 2 + 2
Neural connectivity complex @16kg x 4 x 1 (sets throughout the day)
Farmer carry @60kg x 3 x 1:30 min (throughout the day)

Strength modality
None

Power modality
None

Last edited:
Training goals reprised
It's been too long since I had goals stated, and since training has tendency to diverge without clear goals I am stating them here:

Subjective goals
"It is the first business of any human being to be a good animal", Sig Klein.

Feel restriction free (and of course pain free), actually feel the Move Well. part of FMS moto. Can perform any task at any time - feel strong, powerful, and awesome.

Objective goals
All the objective goals were derived from the activities that yielded the best improvement in my subjective goals according to my training log.
  • FMS - 21 (since self screening is problematic I'll deduct 2 points of my latest self-screen and give myself 18)
  • Beast bent press (long term goal, can BtP 32kg as working weight, never tried higher)
  • Leopard crawl for 5 minutes straight
  • 200kg hand & thighs lift (180kg current PR).

Morning prep

OS resets - breathing, segmental rolling, rocking variations

Conjugate sequence training
Integrity

Leopard crawl - collecting 4:48 min at 14:00 min

Strength
None

Power
None

Integrity training

Rest. Too hot to crawl outside, did some crawling between beach volleyball sets.
Did a long OS resets + playing for strength session before BVB.

Beach volleyball
Played around 6 set of moderate-heavy, than some more light sets. Plenty of movement.

Integrity practice

Leopard crawl - collected 4:40 min throughout the afternoon / night (GTGish), before and after coaching BVB.
Walked with sandbag on the head for some minutes.

Movement prep

OS resets - breathing -> windshield wiper rolls -> frog rolls -> rocking variations

Integrity practice
Leopard crawl - collecting 5:30 min at 14:45.
I usually do my rest periods kneeling, I tired them lying on the back this session. Worked well but too soon to decide if there is a real difference.

Integrity session (morning at the beach)
Movement prep

OS resets - windmill rolls and rocking variations

Practice
Leopard crawl - collecting 5:45 at 16:30

Notes
  • Kept rest periods lying on by back (and throwing in some windshield wiper rolls).
  • Added few backward steps on each leg. This serves two purposes. One, practicing crawling backward, and two, making legs longer. My quads are the first to get tired, a couple of backward steps are kind of active recovery. Since this is integrity practice the postural benefits of longer legs outweigh the reduced load on the quads.

Strength session (afternoon)
Movement prep

Goblet squat @24kg x 3
SLDL @24kg x 1 + 1
Bent armbar @16kg x 3 + 3

Practice
Two-hands anyhow @24kg + 16kg x 4 x 1
(BtP + curl & press loads)
  • Need to work on the cheat-curl with my right arm.

Beach volleyball session (evening)
About 3 hours gross of light to moderate level sets with the girls, helping them get ready to a tournament they compete in tomorrow. Than food, soon sleep.

Integrity work

Farmer carry @60kg x 3 x 1:30 min - GTGish throughout the day
OS resets throughout the day

Strength session
Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @24kg x 3
SLDL @24kg x 1 + 1 + 1 + 1

Practice
Two-hands anyhow @24kg + 16kg x 6 x 1

Strength session
Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @24kg x 3
SLDL @24kg x 1 + 1 + 1 + 1

Practice
Two-hands anyhow @24kg + 16kg x 8 x 1
  • Cheat curl: Right arm groove is getting better.
  • Load: I might started too light. I haven't tested the lift before starting the cycle so I opted to err on the side of too light, so no real complains, just an observation. Anyway, it gives me some mental space to focus on grooving the right arm cheat curl.
Beach volleyball
About 3.5 hours gross, mostly a mixed couple (us) versus two good level girls. Very good quality games. I am keep being impressed with the advancement and level of play of Tor (the girl I played it) over the past four month. Putting the time, heart, effort and awareness pays off (as usual) at the development of any skill.

Integrity session
Practice

Cook drill @20kg x 12:30 min
  • After doing it a few times with the 24kg the 20kg feels light, I could have kept going much longer but since the session was at 22:00 I decided to finish it after two legs with each hand. The hour is also the reason I used the 20kg. Good session.

Last edited:
Integrity session (morning at the beach)
Movement prep

OS resets - windmill rolls, frog rolls, rocking variations

Practice
Leopard crawl - collecting 7:08 at 16:30
  • Flow: Good flow with (nice) distorted time perception - legs felt short, session felt long, opposite to how it really happened :)
  • Mixed some lateral crawling here in there for a few steps
Strength session (evening)
Movement prep

OS resets - frog rolls, windmill rolls, rocking variations

Practice
Two-hands anyhow @24kg + 16kg x 10 x 1

[EDIT: strength session added]

Last edited:
Integrity phase summery

Leopard crawl - 8 days, last day collected over 7 min.
Farmer carry - 2 days @60kg (90% BW), 3 legs each day of 1:30 min
Cook dril - 2 days, 24kg x 4 min, 20kg x 12:30 min
Rest - 1 day

The last 13 days were very restorative, both physically and mentally. I feel like this phase did the things it is suppose to - create better a platform for strength development (although these stuff are strengthening all by themselves).

Strength session 1 (morning)
Practice

Hands & thighs lift @134kg x 4 x 1
  • Explosive. Tight vertical plank. Easy. Some rocking between lifts.
  • Felt like adding H&T to the standalone strength phase. Will probably go with 4 daily singles for the rest of the standalone period and bump the weight or ROM for the last session or two. Will drop either it or 2HA when introducing power phase.
Strength session 2 (evening)
Movement prep

OS resets - frog rolls and rocking
Goblet squat @24kg x 3
SLDL @24kg x 2 + 2

Practice

Two-hands anyhow @24kg + 16kg x 12 x 1

Last edited:
Strength session - morning
Practice

Some rocking between singles.

Afternoon/evening at the beach

OS resets and playing for strength for bout 20 minutes.
Coaching BVB for 3 hours

Strength session - night
Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @24kg x 3
SLDL @24kg x 2 + 2

Practice
Two-hands anyhow @24kg + 16kg x 14 x 1

Movement prep
Rocking

Practice

Strength session - afternoon
Movement prep

OS resets - windshield wiper rolls (modified and Xtra modified) to windshield rocking to rocking variations.

Practice
Two-hands anyhow @24kg + 16kg x 16 x 1
  • Right arm cheat-curl is getting better (I am almost pleased with it).
  • Session felt great. Good groove. Good overall-session-cadence - good flow. This session definitely gave back more than it took. Felt like it's taking nothing and gives plenty of control in return. Nice cost/benefit :)

Movement prep

OS rocking

Practice
Hands & thighs lift @138kg x 4 x 1

Strength session - evening
Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @28kg x 3
SLDL @28kg x 2 + 2

Practice
Two-hands anyhow @28kg + 16kg x 4 x 1

Strength session
Movement prep

OS resets

Practice
Hands & thighs lifts @138kg x 4 x 1
Two-hands anyhow @28kg + 16kg x 6 x 1
  • Definitely should be in reversed order. High-skill movements should come first. The 2HA were good but it seems that the H&T took some precious focus that could have made it a better session

Strength session
Movement prep

OS resets
Tall-sit BU press @16kg x 2 + 2
Bent arm-bar @16kg x 3 + 3 - need to add those back, R side got a little rusty
Goblet squat @28kg x 3
SLDL @28kg x 2 + 2

Practice
Two-hands anyhow @28kg + 16kg x 8 x 1
  • Doing 2HA first today was the right call. Felt sharper than yesterday.
  • The cheat-curl on the right side is getting better and smoother. However, today I realized that it is taking more mental focus than I want to allocate to it at the moment. I will return to standard bent press (main dish) for now and will add back 2HA (spiced-up main dish) when I'll be in more bent press focused period, as I was the last time I did allot of 2HA.

About 5 minutes rest

Strength/power session
Practice

Power complex x 4
Hand & thighs lift @138kg x 1
OSE (over-speed eccentric) snatch @16kg x 5 (switching hand each complex)​

(total of 4 H&T and 20 OSE snatches)

• Snatch groove: Felt smooth even though it's been a while (long) since I've been snatching. Chose 16kg both cause all my other KB were loaded on the bat for H&T and because I wanted to make sure my groove is right.
  • OSE: Over-speed might be exaggerating, faster-than-normal-on-the-way-down might be more appropriate. Did every rep a little faster than the previous one (thrown the bell harder behind me). Need to tame the arc a bit more for lockout.
  • Overall: Good session. ROM checked better in the end of the session than start. No ROM deterioration between sets either. Tested more than usual to make sure my CNS reacts well to the snacth.

Last edited:
Power session - morning
Movement prep

OS resets
Bent arm-bar @16kg x 3 + 3

Practice
Power complex x 2
Hands & thighs lift @142kg x 2 x 1
OSE snatch @16kg x 3 x 5​

(total of 4 H&T and 30 snatches)

Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @28kg x 3
SLDL @28kg x 2 + 2

Practice
Bent press @28kg x 10 x 1
  • Precision and accuracy: The mental focus that was reallocated back to the BtP without the cheat-curl in the 2HA did it's thing and smoothed out the movement. Not yet back at the level of precision and accuracy I was when I was bent pressing allot and heavy, but getting close.
  • Total load: Originally I started 2HA practice to load the body more without buying bigger bells. When doing H&T lift (and probably other partial support lifts as well) it is redundant since the total load on the body is quite substantial, even with 70% load.

Power session - morning at the beach
Movement prep

OS resets
OS marching

Practice
Sprint x 4 x ~24m
  • Decided to take it easy this morning, no real indicators just a general feel. Did a long reset session and than a handful of sprints. First time I actually practice sprints, I stead of just doing one to the water, in probably 3-4 years.
  • Technique need ton of work, will be addressed in the OSP (integrity) phases.
Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @28kg x 3
SLDL @28kg x 2 + 2
Bent arm bar @16kg x 3 + 3

Practice
Bent press @28kg x 12 x 1
  • Figured out that my comfort issues with the 28kg (competition style) bell were in the clean, it was not tight enough and the grip was just a little bit off. This was barely noticeable as a standalone "feature" but affected the movement. I figured it out when it drove me crazy that pulling the weight back down to the rack felt somewhat less stable than it should be. Gave some extra attention to the clean, cleared (most) of the grip error and the comfort levels went up significantly. Lesson: attention to details.
  • I have no issue with the clean of the classical style 32kg, so I guess that due to the shape of the competition bell the mechanics are a bit different.

Strength/power session

Rest.

Decided to take it easy this morning, no real indicators just a general feel. Did a long reset session and than a handful of sprints.

Really?? four (aka handful) all-out sprints is taking it easy?? When you make dumb mistakes your glutes remind you that the next day... :)

Had full ROM, no restriction, but my glutes felt they had enough yesterday, so rest day.

Did a few sessions of OS resets throughout the day, with a long one in the afaternoon. Very light beach volleyball practice and a couple of light playing sets.

Strength session - noon
Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @28kg x 3
SLDL @28kg x 2 + 2
Half-TGU + speed-bump @16kg x 1 + 1
Bent armbar @16kg x 3 + 3

Practice
Bent press @28kg x 16 x 1
Hands & tighs lift @142kg x 4 x 1
  • After the rest day these felt easy, especially the H&T, I checked the load on the bar after the second lift to make sure I didn't missloaded.

Power session - evening
Movement prep

OS rolls
2 rounds of
goblet squat @16kg x 5
TGU + lower body speed bump @16kg x 1 + 1​

Practice
OSE snatch @16kg x 6 x 5

Rest.

Power session - evening
Movement prep

OS resets
Bent arm-bar @16kg x 3 + 3

Practice
Snatch @16kg x 6 x 10
  • I am at my parents for holiday, the general atmosphere is sedentry and makes me feel weak and tired, and "unglued".
  • Decided not to push through and use it as some rest. Will do more OS resets tomorrow. Back to usual schedulle on Sunday.

I am at my parents for holiday, the general atmosphere is sedentry and makes me feel weak and tired, and "unglued".

Untied, unglued, busting at the seems... Aftermath of sedentary long weekend
So, I am after 3.5 days of being sedentary (by my, and our standards). By sedentary I mean nothing outside of scheduled training, and doing that every other day. Rest of the time was movementless.

I felt energy-less most of the weekend due to lack of movement and had some wired physical feeling of unableness. Today I woke up ready to go back to my usual schedule. I did my resets, tested toe touch ROM, and was faaar from my toes. My usual toe touch is about 10 cm behind my heels, and mid foot when really not ready for movement, so far away from the toes was a red light.

I picked up my 16kg bell, did five prying goblet squats. Tested again - toe. Did Cook drill ones at each arm, tested again - almost mid foot. Five more goblet squats got me to my ankles and some TGU prep drills from FMS got me to my heels. I felt ready to start the day, took a shower and went to work.

The bottom line is - keep things tied, 3.5 days was enough to get me out of sync.

Throughout the day

Did couple of OS sessions at work today, this morning really got me scared ;)

Power session - evening
Movement prep

OS resets
Meggie Burrows' TGU band drill from
FMS TGU ASLR drill
1/2 BU TGU @16kg x 1 + 1
Bent arm-bar @16kg x 2 x 3 + 3
Goblet squat @24kg x 5

Practice
One-hand swing
@24kg x 4 x 5
@32kg x 2 x 5
@24kg x 4 x 5
@32kg x 2 x 5
@24kg x 2 x 5​

• Lessons from the 32:
    1. Need to root better.
    2. Need to setup a little closer to the bell to avoid bleeding some tension. I re-tense before the back swing but this never the same as not losing tension. 1. is likely caused, at least to some extent, by 2. Felt better on the sets of 24kg following the 32kg.
  • Vertical plank: Felt solid effortless, I assume all the hands & thighs lifts in recent time were instructive in that area. Carries didn't hurt either. Come to think about it these also had some rooting lessons, so I'm even more sure that the rooting deficits are caused by flawed setup.
  • Setup need extra attention
  • Sets of 5: Will stay with those and add more sets for volume for now. Gives me twice the setups and more mental focus and opportunities to groove everything right. Will follow @ali's suggestion S&S - 5 set ceil when I'll decide to add reps.
  • Back in sync :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom