all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Integrity session - morning at the beach

OS resets
Leopard crawl collecting 8:00 min at 22:30 min
  • 6 legs, 2 long legs of 1:30 min. The long legs beat my previous PR for constant crawl by 20 sec.
  • Apparently I took long rests, but I deliberately don't time them during the session. Will start compressing time when I'll collect 10 min.
  • Last leg was hard

Power session - evening
Movement prep

OS resets
Straddle-sit BU press @16kg x 2 + 2
Straddle-sit side press @16kg x 2 + 2
1/2 TGU + speed bump @16kg x 1 + 1
Goblet squat @24kg x 5

Practice
One-hand swing @24kg x 8 x 5
  • Focused on setup and rooting. Setup felt better, rooting to and should be verified next time I use the 32kg. These are still the points of emphasis for next session.

Woke up late and couldn't do a morning session and had a long day at work. Did a light session.

Integrity/power session - evening
Movement prep

OS resets

Practice
2 rounds of
Bent arm-bar @16kg x 3 + 3
Cook drill @(20kg , 24kg)
Goblet squat @(16kg , 20kg) x 5
Snatch @(16kg , 20kg) x 2 x 8​

Weight for (round 1 , round 2)
  • First round felt good, second round good but the last 2-3 snatches were not fast enough so decided to call it of and not try another round.
  • Did an almost BU clean @28kg on the right side - almost is that I eventually balanced it, but it took some dancing.
  • Just before I filled the log I saw @Pavel Macek's Brettzel armbar and gave it a try @16kg x 2 + 2, I like it, feels you get more on the hip while loosing nothing on the torso...
  • Food: Feel like I need to eat more. Integrity session have tons of time-under-tension, and power session demands allot. I am after a long time of mostly strength work (BtP, H&T). I lost 3-4kg in that time and felt stronger so I haven't considered more food, but while incorporating back more energy demanding work I should eat more - I am not used to have to go for a light day on the third (consecutive) training day. I sleep enough, so I'll give more food a try.
  • Full segmental rolls: For quite a while I mainly do half-roll variations, mostly windshield wiper rolls. These have more demand on end-range thoracic rotation and extension but have less total movement than full rolls. While these feel great I suspect the lapse in my right side bent arm-bar ROM has something to do with it. While windshield wiper half rolls looks closer in form to bent arm-bar than other rolls it does not mean they function the same. While the bent arm-bar is a drill it is also a window to my thoraco-scapular complex. Even though I haven't felt it while bent pressing it definitely have effect, that might be felt with bigger weights. Even if not, it means that I have less spare ROM. So back to full segmental rolls.

Last edited:
Had a crappy sleep last night, don't know why, but slept less than 4 hours.

Morning - beach
Prep

OS resets, leopard crawls (2 legs of 50 secs)

Beach volleyball
4 light sets

Than I purchased 36kg and 40kg used bells on sale, they were delivered about 5 building from my house so my integrity session for today was

Farmer carry @76kg x the walk home (no chalk!)
Suitcase carry @40kg x up three floors
Rack carry @36kg x up three floors (forearms too tired for suitcase)

Done for today.

Morning prep

OS resets
Suitcase carry @3 x 40kg x 10m + 10m

Lifting sessions
Off today

Beach volleyball
~5 hours of matches in varying levels

Programing
I have way to match cutter in brain regarding my boring-soul-sucking-day-job to handle complex programing at the moment. Furthermore, since the CNS does not discriminate physical and emotional stress when it need to recover, it is time to deload from the two-lifting-sessions a day of recent months. Back to single-tasking mentality.

I will go back to one-lift mindset that was good for me. Justa's daily singles with bent press (shocking, right?) is my priority, all the rest will be either movement prep or spices. Cleaned the 40kg, my body is not ready to press it yet, therefore the starting weight will be 24kg.

I will also give myself some slack and will take days off when needed, even though daily singles are... daily. I opted for daily singles over ever-other-day- Jusata-fied bent pressing from Taming... since at the moment I don't feel like long sessions. It will also make it easier to keep the spices as spices, rather than running to parallel programs.

The thing I took from these few weeks of shifting modalities (or maybe attributes or qualities are better terms) is that it is not strength and power pillars. It is a webbing (although tripod is a easier to visualize) of integrity, strength and power (actually I prefer tension/relaxation cycling as a pillar). I'll throw this in the thread I had about it.

Morning prep

OS resets (the basic stuff)
Suitcase carry @40kg x 2 x 10m + 10m
  • Once the load cross over 1/2 BW it really stress the hip stabilizers

Daily singles bent press - day 1 / cycle 1
Movement prep

OS stuff (started as frog rolls and morphed to one of the roll to get-up to negative OUP things)
Brettzel bent arm-bar @BU 8kg x 2 + 2 - I like those, and the BU 8kg
Long TGU* @16kg x 1 + 1
Goblet squat @24kg x 3
SLDL @24kg x 2 + 2

Practice
Bent press @24kg x 4 x 1

Loaded clean @40kg x 2 x 5 breaths

*Long TGU - Floor press to tall sit + speed bump - double low sweep (sweep, back to tall-sit and sweep again) to standing - back down to windmill - bent arm-bar - back down

I have way to match cutter in brain regarding my boring-soul-sucking-day-job to handle complex programing at the moment. Furthermore, since the CNS does not discriminate physical and emotional stress when it need to recover, it is time to deload from the two-lifting-sessions a day of recent months. Back to single-tasking mentality.
Smart move.

Brake for the curves! :D

Morning prep -beach

OS resets

Beach Volleyball
Medium level matches. Felt out of focus - mental clutter/entropy.

Daily singles bent press - day 2 / cycle 1 - afternoon
Movement prep

OS stuff
Long TGU* @16kg x 1 + 1
Brettzel bent arm-bar @BU 8kg x 2 + 2
Suitcase carry @40kg x 10m + 10m

Practice

Bent press @24kg x 6 x 1

Loaded clean @40kg x 2 x 3 steps + 5 breaths

*Long TGU - Floor press to tall sit + speed bump - double low sweep to standing - back down to windmill - double low sweep - back down

Beach volleyball (second round)

Light level, more focus than morning. When I start with short coaching session (friends' friends) I am way more focused later. But short, long ones are more mentally demanding.

Morning prep

OS resets

Late morning - noon
Coaching strength session at the beach: OS resets, Tall-kneeling holds, goblet squats, hinge, TGU.

Couple of beach volleyball sets as "finisher"

Carrying 31kg to and from the beach (5 min each way unloaded, didn't timed with load). Seems like enough total load for today, especially with planned BVB in the evening. So no lifting today.

Daily singles bent press - day 3 / cycle 1 - morning
Movement prep

OS resets
Long TGU @16kg x 1 + 1
Brettzel bent armbar @BU 8kg x 2 + 2
Goblet squat @24kg x 3

Practice
Bent press @24kg x 8 x 1

Loaded clean @40kg x 2 x 3 steps + 5 breaths

• First time bent pressing early in the morning. Felt good.
  • Loaded cleans @40kg getting a little more comfortable.
  • I like the long TGU as prep drill. It really makes sure everything is in place and functioning properly. Should time those and see how long they really are :)

Daily singles bent press - day 4 / cycle 1 - Afternoon
Movement prep

OS resets
Long TGU @16kg x 1 + 1
Goblet squat @24kg x 5

Practice
Bent press @24kg x 10 x 1
  • Bent presses feel sharp and easy. Exactly the deload I needed.
Beach volleyball practice - evening
My first practice (as trainee) since probably March. Good to be back in training. My offence timing and approach are in bad shape. Offence session - around 70 jumps in total.

Morning prep

OS resets

Daily singles bent press - day 5 / cycle 1 - night
Movement prep

OS resets
Long TGU @16kg x 1 + 1
Goblet squat @24kg x 5
Cook @20kg x 1 + 1

Practice
Bent press @24kg x 12 x 1

Loaded clean @40kg x 2 x (6 steps + 5 breaths)
  • Bent press focus: Tight brace after the clean and rooting during the setup. One of the smoothest sessions I had. Secondary point was better wedge at the recovery phase. Felt good.
  • Loaded clean: The large load really teaches bracing and shoulder girdle management. Nowhere to hide with 60% BW in the rack.
[EDIT: date corrected]

Last edited:
Morning

Beach volleyball, light level, still out of focus.

Daily singles bent press - day 6 / cycle 1 - afternoon
Movement prep

OS resets
Long TGU @16kg x 1 + 1
Goblet squat @24kg x 5
BU carry @20kg x 2 x 10m

Practice
Bent press @24kg x 14 x 1

[EDIT: date corrected]

Last edited:
Morning

Coaching strength at the beach, trainees was out of focus so just did light OS based session.

Daily singles bent press - day 7 / cycle 1 - afternoon
Movement prep

OS resets
Long TGU @16kg x 1 + 1
Goblet squat @24kg x 5
Suitcase carry @40kg x 2 x 10m

Practice
Bent press @24kg x 16 x 1

Managed a beach volleyball tournament (didn't play cause my partner got injured surfing on Thursday). Was at the beach from 6:00 (am ) until around 15:00, drinking beer since 9:30. While I felt good to lift in the evening I though it might be a bit to much to recover from so just did a OS reset session.

Morning

OS resets

Daily singles bent press - day 1 / cycle 2 - evening
Movement prep

OS resets
Long TGU @16kg x 1 + 1
Goblet squat @24kg x 5
Cook@20kg x 1 + 1

Practice
Bent press @28kg x 4 x 1

Loaded clean & carry @40kg x 2 x (6 steps + 5 breaths)

• Bent press: grooved exactly like the 24kg - well.
  • Loaded clean & carry: Not getting lighter, but more comfortable. 40kg (60%BW) sitting on your chest makes you keep everything tight. Furthermore, no way to ignore improper taming of the arc - the bell will pull you forward.

Morning

OS resets at work

[EDIT:
Throughout the day
Water bottle TGU x 2 x 1 + 1 (GTG)
]

Daily singles bent press - day 2 / cycle 2 - evening
Movement prep

OS resets
BU TGU @16kg x 1 + 1
Dbl BU C&P&2S @16kg + 12kg x 2
Rack carry @40kg x 2 x 10m

Practice
Bent press @28kg x 6 x 1

• Dbl BU complex: double BU is way more demanding than single, should do with dbl 8kg or 8+12
  • Heavy rack carry as prep: 40kg is to heavy for prep. While the 28kg feels light to clean I could feel the energy drained while I moved it to the back rack to bent press. Maybe a LC without the carry will be fine, but don't see a reason to try since I have no problem with the 28kg.
  • Too many changes in the same session: It was the first time I tried Dbl BU and 40kg rack carry as prep. That's two changes in one session so I can't really judge if/which one if beneficial/detrimental to the practice... one addition at a session.

Last edited:
Morning

OS resets
Suitcase carry @40kg x 20m + 20m

Throughout the day
Water bottle TGU x 1 + 1
Water bottle bent press

Daily singles bent press - day 3 / cycle 2 - afternoon
Movement prep

OS resets
Long TGU @16kg x 1 + 1
Goblet squat @24kg x 5
Leopard crawl x 20m

Practice
Bent press @28kg x 8 x 1
  • Normal prep: lead back to good groove on the bent press
Beach volleyball practice - evening
Set practice + 4:7
Had pain in my right foot since the beginning, really messed up my rooting and speed, especially when change of direction was needed. Too much tension in life lead to too much tension in my right calf/ankle complex and pull the fascia under my foot. Need to do more prep (especially massaging my calf and lego rocking) in times like this. And remove tension....... :eek:

Last edited:
Morning

Smashing my calf/ankle with lacrosse ball
OS resets
Coffee & pastry
Walk on the beach (didn't timed, probably around 30 min) - inspired by @The Nail's recent training

Did it's thing - cleared my calf/ankle/foot issue from yesterday

Daily singles bent press - day 4 / cycle 2 - early afternoon
Movement prep

OS resets
Long TGU @16kg x 1 + 1
Goblet squat @24kg x 5
Leopard crawl x 20m

Practice
Bent press @28kg x 10 x 1

Farmer carry @76kg x 2 x 20m
  • Justa's daily singles for bent press: As the cycle progresses the sessions actually getting easier (at least at these loads). The first two session after jumping a bell size are getting used to the extra load, than sessions get easier. Last time that I was on that path I recycled back to 28kg in the middle of the 32kg cycle since I got harder, it got easier the second time. I'll see how this time goes.
  • Heavy carries/supports: The farmer carries reminded me how much my body/mind reacts well to heavy carries and supports (tested with ROM and general feel). I might add hand & thighs lift back for 4 daily singles (following Justa's strategy #3 for H&T, keeping current #1 for BtP). Since my focus is still the bent press I will treat those as spices and not over concern myself about them.

Morning

Leopard crawls

Noon
Walk on the beach (didn't timed, probably around 45 min)

Daily singles bent press - day 5 / cycle 2 - early afternoon
Movement prep

OS resets
Longer TGU @16kg x 1 + 1
Goblet squat @24kg x 5
Cook @20kg

Practice
Bent press @28kg x 12 x 1

Hand & thighs lift @126kg x 4 x 1
  • Bent press focus: Power breathing and wedging in the recovery phase. The 28kg is quite easy now and I feel that I can use sub-optimal breathing and recovery mechanics without feeling it. This is exactly the reason I think it's time to groove them deep so they will be ready for bigger loads.
  • Heavy supports: Put the H&T back in. 4 singles a day, increase load every 4th session by 4-5kg.
[ADDITION:]
@Pavel Macek recently published SOS get-up that I watched prior to posting the log. Had to give it a try.

Test:
Naked SOS get-up x 1 + 1
This put some serious extra mobility demands on the get-up. Will try loaded tomorrow.

Last edited:
Morning - beach

Prep
OS resets, some leopard crawl (~10m)

Beach volleyball
First session was totally out of focus. Neither I nor my partner are used to play at 7:00. We played bad most sets. Second session was better, it was around 10:00, sunny and I was focused (different group of people from session #1). Some pull-ups and brachiating between sessions.

Daily singles bent press - day 6 / cycle 2 - evening
Movement prep

OS resets
SOS get-up @16kg x 2 x 1 + 1
Goblet squat @24kg x 5

Practice
Bent press @28kg x 14 x 1

Hand & thighs lift @126kg x 4 x 1
  • Bent press focus: Same as yesterday. Power breathing and wedging in the recovery phase.
  • Negative press groove: The active negative press part(pull down to rack from OH position) was not smooth with the 28kg and 32kg. Controlled and perfectly safe, just not smooth. In the last couple sessions with the 28kg I felt it is getting pretty smooth and tight.
  • SOS get-up: That has some nice lessons on thoracic mobility in order to keep good column of support and let the ground hold the bell. I like what it does for me. The scissors move seems to be more forgiving to hip mobility than the sweep, it is definitely has less accuracy demands. But maybe it's just me about the hips.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom