all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Morning prep

Some OS resets
Leopard crawl

Day 2 of FMS Level I+II
First day of level II, correctives for ASLR and SM. Much better than day 1. My stiff left side of the neck last week is actually an upside now since I could feel the improvement of the SM example correctives (+ got some free neck advice from the teacher). Found an upside for feeling sub-par :)

ASLR motor-control correctives where nice, SM took some rib-pull pattern and put them on steroids... The lines between FMS and OS got even more blurry... :)

I was the TGU model, only one other in class ever heard of it...
Did one lift each side with a half filled 1.5L water bottle... The most challenging TGU I have ever done! Felt my brain working hard.

Bouldering session - evening
45min, done some medium level work, should have kept it light-medium sine my brain was fried from the day...

Night session
Will do some OS and correctives and stuff to clear myslef

Morning prep

OS resets - long session - back to the basics
Leopard crawl

Bent press session - afternoon
Movement prep

OS resets
Club work
Long TGU @16kg x 1 + 1

Practice
Bent press @28kg x 15 min by feel
Club work as active rest​

Bouldering session - evening
That was suppose to be a light one that ended as 1:45 hrs and challenging.

Morning prep

OS resets
Leopard crawl

Last day of FMS I+II
Lots of work on correctives for ROT, TSPU, ILL, HS, DS... That stuff is actually pretty taxing...

Night
Farmer carry
@76kg x 2 x 1
@60kg x 2 x 1​

Morning prep

OS resets - long session
Leopard crawl

Bouldering session - afternoon
As I was about to start lifting friend invited me to the wall... Ended as another heavy session, not even challenging, just difficult... I was to taxed...

Morning prep

OS resets - long session
Club work
OS marching

Beach volleyball session - noon
Long, and not well... Didn't get along well with my partner who has a very unclean game... I like simple, clean and precise playing and his mess of a game didn't allow me to focus. My head was a mess... Me being to taxed from the week did not help... Lately I have no patience for people with no game management awareness :(

Bent press session - night
Movement prep

OS resets
Club work
Long TGU @16kg x 1 + 1
BB armbar @BU 8kg x 3 + 3
Log squat @10kg x 3 + 3

Practice
Bent press @28kg x 15 min by feel
Club work as active rest​

Neural connectivity complex
@dbl BU8kg x 1
@BU16kg x 1 + 1​

Some reflections and programing for the near future
So lately I have felt unconnected, limited, tired and taxed. Some reflections during this FMS week led me to think I was over doing it and that I am basically under recovered, and that all these ill feeling are systemic inhibitions derived of that.

At my FMS on Thursday, after bouldering my brains out on Wednesday, I had TSPU of 1 (I had 2 on Sunday), and while my extension clearing test was pain free, it wasn't smooth as usual. I had all these thoughts prior to that, but that was somewhat confirmation of being over taxed... The guy screening my asked if something is wrong since it seemed odd with the rest of my screen...

The main reasons that together led to this, IMO, are (with no particular order):
  • Bouldering: bouldering is taxing, really. And the fact that lately I started trying V3 almost al the time did not help either. I need to watch myself, especially when I go with people that this is their only sport. Furthermore, bouldering put ones shoulder girdle in compromised positions quite often which has at least some contribution to neurological inhibition of ROM.
  • Barbell bent press weight increase: After I felt I mastered the 25kg I jumped to 30kg, much like I did with the KB. However, in retrospect, this KB approach to barbell had some problems. 5kg is way more than 4kg in these weight ranges and the balance demands jumps with this increase due to bar length. 2.5kg increase would have been enough... or reps increase instead. The balance demands was probably to big and took to much from me. Since mobility is a paranoid system it probably led to some decreased ROM, which led to compensation (to much load on the spinal erectors). All my 30kg lifts were 'gym good', or 'competition good', but lets face it flawless practice lifts were probably the exception. The lies we tell ourselves.... I didn't left my ego at the door, and instead of tying me better and making me awesome the heavier load just untied me and led to some more paranoid-inhibition instead of promoting confident-coolness.
  • Winter: Well, cold has inhibitory effects on me...
  • Insufficient food intake: While I enjoy my early pension and vacation from all work, it did mess my eating schedule. I do allot of stuff, should take allot of fuel... This is definitely hurt recovery.
So what am I going to do next? These
  • Bouldering: Just grow up, act my age, stop chasing shiny things, work the process, practice... flawless.
  • OS and connectivity: Back to the basics, more segmental roll and rocking and reaching... tying myself back. It worked well before, no reason it won't again. Playing with some BU KB work. Some moderate to moderate-heavy carries.
  • Lifting: Dropping the bent press to 28kg and working in an auto-regulating fashion like ETK PM and Dry, fighting weight program. Just setting the timer, doing singles for now, keeping it fresh & flawless. Not counting reps by design. Deep practice mode - back to grooving things. So far it works fine. Doing some light active rest with clubs, Swings are out for now, accept from 2-4 sets at prep to keep some distraction forces on my shoulder girdle. As for frequency, will see how it goes with all the other things. If things go well I will probably add some hand & thighs with the bent press, this was good for my alignment and connectivity when practiced.
  • Start food log tomorrow
To sum it up, in the words of a modern day philosopher - Braking for the curves.

Morning prep

OS resets - long session
BU press @16kg x 1 + 1
Bent armbar @16kg x 2 - L only
Cook @16kg
Leopard crawl

General feel - stiff and with slumped-ish posture

Noon
Farmer carry @60kg x 2 x 1 + rotations
Suitcase carry @32kg x 1 + 1
Farmer carry
@60kg x 1 + rotations
@44kg x 2 x 2​
  • Farmer carries helped with OH position and general feel. The longer sets with less weight did better job pulling me to alignment
Walking, about 40-50 minutes total

Hand & thighs sorta-max - evening
Movement prep

OS rocking and reaching
Club chops progression (TK -> HK ->open HK -> standing -> one leg stance)
Club slams and swings
OHS @32kg x 2 x 6

Practice
Hand & thighs lift
@110kg x 3
@142kg x 1
@174kg x 1
@200.5kg x 3 x 1
@dbl 8kg x 1 x 2
@16kg x 1 x 1 + 1
  • Hand & Thighs sorta-max: Thought that if I incorporate some H&T to my practice I should have a sort-max to work back from. Will load 142kg on the bar (70%). Previous sorta-max was 180kg.
  • Confidence builders to fight paranoia: Today proved my stiffness and left OH issues are neurological in origin. While it is a mobility problem (same issue regardless of position) it reacts very well to stability/motor control work. Best reaction were to armbars, chops and H&T lift. NCC did a fine job as well. This is good since motor control is more my home-base, and soft tissue problems takes longer to deal with.
  • Food: Started a log today. Gonna make myself a big dinner now.

[Edit: While by no means a deadlift, my H&T is 3xBW]

Last edited:
Morning prep

OS resets
Tall and half kneeling club chops
Leopard crawl
Bent armbar @16kg x 2 - L only

General feel - noticeably better than yesterday

Strength session - afternoon
Movement prep

OS resets
Club work - mostly chops variations
BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3

Practice
Alternating lifts x 15 min by feel - fresh & flawless
Hands & thighs lift @142kg x 1
Bent press @28kg x 1 + 1

Active rest - club work

• Practice structure: Start the timer, do H&T x 1, rest as needed for F&F, bent press x 1+1, rest as needed, repeat until timer rings. No need to finish a series, if the time is up in the middle of it a series it is fine. Do not count number of lifts done, just do them fresh & flawless (F&F). Rest-as-needed include some light club work as active rest.
  • Post session feel: Feel good. Energized, strong, aligned and mobile.

Morning prep

OS resets

General feel - better than yesterday

Bouldering session - noon
Started light with some V0 and V1, than some V2 I've already solved. Easy traverse, than work on the hard traverse. That was difficult. I tired a V2 that I cleared before at the end of the session and failed to match the top due to stupid concentration error... one route too many...

Did some naked BtP and windmills coupled with some breathing work between routes at the start with good results.

Beach volleyball session - evening
Movement prep (at home)

OS rocking
BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3
Session
2.5 sets (0.5 - one player pulled his Achilles tendon). Played well and moved well. Some reception issues (this is usually my strength), I have new glasses so I might have depth perception issues for a few days. Anyway, regardless of reason I need to clean my receptions.​

Morning prep

Woke up super hungry - just some breathing work before breakfast

General feel - better than yesterday

Noon
Read a book on the beach, did some prone breathing work and head control during. I usually do not like to multitask, definitely not as practice, but breathing and reading seems like a nice combo that actually work.

Strength session - evening
Movement prep

OS resets
Club chops progression (TK > HK > open HK > standing > hurdle stance)
BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3

Practice
Alternating lifts x 15 min by feel - fresh & flawless
Bent press @28kg x 1 + 1

Active rest - club work
  • Better than yesterday: This entry is a daily trend this week. I am feeling better and more tied/connected/synced/etc. every day. This breaking for curves things works :)
  • Active rest - reminder: I sometimes take the "active" to seriously. The first couple of series I swung hard and fast, I had to passive rest before the lifts :oops:. Swung slower and lighter later and did some passive rest with just breathing on the tail end.
  • Timed auto-regulated sessions: While it's only my 4th session this way (I did 4 weeks of ETK PM around 18 month ago) they feel great, energizing, and most importantly teaching and confidence building. Back to practice in it's purest form. Freed from reps and sets schemes my mind is 100% in the movement and they way I feel. This is also a lesson in honesty with ones self - don't slack, don't rush - find your Goldilocks pace.

Bent press setup - carryover from barbell to KB
It seems I had an unexpected carry over from the bar setup to the KB setup. I initially did not thought there will be substantial carry over in setup because of the very different setup mechanics and sequencing. However, balancing the bar in the back rack position made for a better overall stability there and to a strong back rack position. Further more the bar racking sequence is kind of the opposite of KB so there is a reverse patterning carryover. If you can actually restore, re-pattern and teach movement this way it actually should be little surprise that there is a training carryover...

Morning prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @32kg x 3

General feel - same as yesterday

Beach volleyball session - morning to almost noon
Playing 3 sets a moderate level, good movement, good focus, still some reception issues that I currently attribute to change in glasses (I can pull this for two more playing days at most...). After that we did a defense practice

Noon - while changing bags at home

Bouldering session

Almost 3 hours, had some grip issues (due to H&T volume??), did some slab work which call for allot of body management. Finished my fist V4.

Morning prep

OS resets

General feel - slightly better than yesterday

Beach volleyball
Some low level sets. Great sunny weather, spent most of the day at the beach.

Beach volleyball - late morning

Some light-moderate to moderate sets. Played well in the first part, tiredness (slept little last night) and beer took their toll eventually.

Strength session - night
Farmer carry @60kg x 1 1/2
Hands & thighs lift @150kg x 1 x 2
Hands & thighs lift @142kg x 2 x 2
Morning prep
OS resets​
Farmer carry @60kg x 1​
General feel - Good. Left SM almost back to par.​
Noon
Farmer carry @60kg x 1​
Movement prep
OS resets​
Club chops progression​
Goblet squat @32kg x 3​
BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3​
Practice
Alternating sets for 15 min by fresh & flawless
Bent press @28kg x 1 + 1​
Bent press @28kg x 2​
Active rest - some club swings, some marching
  • Session structure: R + L , R x 2 , L + R, L x 2 and so on.​
  • Active rest: Did it light in the first sets, just breathing later in the session.​

Morning prep

OS marching + marching with clubs
Club swinging - standing
Wall hack squat x 5

Noon

2 hrs, Some V2 fro prep, did again the V4 from last week. Played with some V4 and V3 (and V6). Didn't clear any of those but took it easy and very technique minded.​
Evening
OS resets​
Bouldering was skill demanding, so no lifting.​
  • The auto-regulated fresh & flawless regimen and mindset make it easier for me to cancel lifting sessions. But I am not saying it as a bad thing. I could've lift fine today with good technique. But fresh & flawless? Not quite there. I put frequent as the last F and not letting aspiration for high frequency deteriorate the other two Fs. Furthermore, when looking at a whole month I lift frequently anyway...​

Morning prep

OS resets

Beach volleyball - noon
3 sets of moderate level

Movement prep

OS resets (mostly rock and reach variations)
Club chops progression

Practice
Alternating sets of 15 min - by fresh & flawless
Bent press @28kg x 2​

• Felt a little tired, felt like not enough food and water
Beach volleyball practice - evening
1:30 hrs, offense.

Morning prep

OS resets

General feel - Good, but tight right rhomboid

Grip practice - late noon
Hanging, pull ups and HLR on rock rings

Movement prep

OS resets
Club chops progression
Goblet squat @32kg x 5
BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3

Practice
Alternating sets for 15 min - by fresh & flawless
Bent press @28kg x 1 + 1
Bent press @28kg x 2
Bent press @28kg x 2
  • Planned 1 + 1 , 2 rotation, but did 1 + 1 , 2 , 2 for the first series and decided to keep it
Morning prep
OS resets + marching - short session​
General feel - still some tightness on right rhomboid, but much better than yesterday​
Bouldering - late morning
~ 1 hr, kept it light, I did too much grip work yesterday and I felt it today.​
Movement prep
OS resets​
BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3​
Practice
Forgot my chalk at the wall so went chalkless... I don't like it...​
15 min - fresh & flawless
Bent press @28kg x 1​
  • I have a tendency to do my cleans to explosively in BtP only session, this is not the case on session that include H&T. I think it is something I subconsciously do to compensate for the lack of hinge. It is not good because it makes the catch in the rack violent at times. Keep the cleans clean....​
Beach volleyball session - evening
~3 hrs of light-moderate to moderate sets.

Morning prep

OS resets
Farmer carry @60kg x 1 + rotations

Beach volleyball session - morning noon
Started at ~2 hrs of light-moderate to moderate level play. Than some more light-moderate level play. A long day at the beach :)

Movement prep

OS resets
Club chops and swings
BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3

Practice
Alternating sets for 15 min - fresh & flawless
Hands & thighs lifts @142kg x 1
Bent press @28kg x 2 + 2
  • Bent press 2 + 2: Groove is smooth and tight. The last rep of each set feels a little tired. Haven't timed but I think a 2+2 sets take more than a minute. Need to take a little more time to recover and feel even fresher before those.
  • H&T: Need some more weight or reps, these get light.
Morning prep - beach

OS resets and stuff

Beach volleyball session - part 1 (starting 7:30)
Light-moderate to moderate mixed doubles. Fun play and great company.

Beach volleyball session - part 2 (starting 10:30)
Moderate-high level sets. Good movement, good timing good play, good offense since late in the first sets and throughout. My reception are back where it was and suppose to be (except about third of a set of relapse).

Beer brake
And than another couple of drunk sets... my reception was less on point on these... and my timing... ;)

Lifting
Rest. Over 8 hrs at the beach in great weather.

Woke up by an emergency phone call. Someone over slept and left 3 people stranded at the beach, I jumped out of bed to help.

Movement prep
OS resets
Had some weight bearing issues on the right leg
BW prying squats
Half-kneeling work and squat patterning
Cleared​

Beach volleyball
One set, played awful, crappy timing... I assume combination of fatigue from yesterday, "emergency" wake up procedure and lots of wind...

Bouldering session - noon
~1.5 - 2 hrs. Some new V2, some V3 work. Too fatigued, should have take a day off.

Lifting - evening
Farmer carry @60kg x 2 x 1 1/2
Hands & thighs lift @142kg x 2 x 1 , 2 x 2
  • Just some alignment work
Morning prep

OS resets
Spider-Man crawl
Goblet squat @24kg x 5

Movement prep

OS resets
Club chops progression - right HK position was not up to par
Goblet squat @24kg x 5
BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3

Practice
Bent press @32kg x 1 + 1​
  • Hand & thighs load: I know I said I would add weight, but didn't felt like going up on both lifts the same session.
  • Bent press: 32kg x 1 + 1 felt good and smooth. Wrapped my left forearm after first set - to much pain memory taking IQ of the lift itself. Groove felt better after the wrap.

Some recent lessons
aka some recent stating the obvious-ness
  • Maintain the squat: Ground braking, I know... Every once in a while I rotate goblet squats out of my movement prep since I am feeling I don't need them. While this is true for a given session it always lead down the road to some issues, I assume my sub par right hip weight bearing last couple of days have something to due with it. Crawling (Spider-Man especially) delay the ill effects, but still... just squat... Since I really do well with 5 reps per session there is no reasonable excuse to rotate these out...
  • Pain changes everything: And pain memory as well... Maybe I should change the title to "Some recent stating the obvious"... My first BtP on the left side with the 32kg today was "good but..." I was concentrating on weather my forearm hurts or not, bot consciously and subconsciously. Once I wrapped my forearm I had no fear of pain and my groove was back on point.
  • Hands & thighs lift: The fact that big-a#@ weight is being explosively lifted to alignment really amplify any setup and force-direction mistakes. When setup is proper and force is directed perpendicular to the ground explosive lift to alignment is smooth and "wedging" is noticeable. When setup (and thus force-direction) is not optimal the weight is "pulled" rather than "wedged" and you can really feel your back is doing much more work than with optimal setup. IMO the H&T is very suitable for such lessons since it's large load is paired with very small ROM. This makes the lift more about setup and reflexive alignment than everything else.

Morning prep

OS resets
Spider-Man crawl

Noon
Suitcase carry @32kg x 1 + 1

Movement prep - afternoon
Straddle hands & thighs lift @142kg x 1+1 felt weird
OS resets
Club chops - TK, HK, oHK
Hands & thighs lift @142kg x 2

Than went out to beach volleyball practice and got a phone call that it is canceled due to wind conditions... I had a big lunch so decided to rest a bit more before lifting

Movement prep

Some rolling & rocking
Club swings - TK, oHK
Goblet squat @24kg x 5
BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3

OS and swings were abbreviated since I still felt good from the afternoon session.

Practice
Hands & thighs lift @150kg x 1

Neural connectivity complex @16kg x 1 + 1

• Active rest: I do it by feel, some club swings or chops, or correctives if I feel a ding in the armor. Sometimes just breathing. Today for example I did some club swinging after the first round, some HK and single-leg stance work for right hip weight bearing after the second (felt a little wobble on shifting weight to the right leg on the L side BtP). Rest of the session was just breathing and some sporadic marching.
  • Neural connectivity complex: Definitely highlights the gap in control between sides, especially at the end of the session. Right side was easy, left called for way more concentration. Should check these starting on R, or with rest between sides.

Morning prep

Spider-Man crawl
Marching

Movement & strength
OS resets
Goblet squats @24kg x 5
BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3

Hands & thighs lift @150kg x 4 x 1

Beach volleyball session
2:30 hrs at moderate level

Morning prep

Haven't documented... my bet is OS resets and Spider-Man crawls

Bouldering - noon
4 hrs bouldering with couple of breaks. V2, V3, attempts on V4 and V5.
That was high volume... too much, but fun.

Lifting
Some bottom-up work with 12kg
Cook @12kg (including some marching)

Morning prep

OS resets
Spider-Man crawl - still some issues at weight bearing on right leg
Cook @16kg

Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @24kg x 5 (including some curl goblet squats from Dynami)
BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3
BU press @16kg x 2 x 3

Practice - fresh & flawless
15 min of
Hand & thighs lift @150kg x 1
Bent press @32kg x 1 + 1

from lift 3 and until end of session H&T had a 8kg offset in weight (switching side each set)

@dbl 8kg x 1
@12kg + 8kg x 2 x 1​

Morning prep

OS marching
Suitcase carry @32kg x 1 + 1 (+ rotations)
OH wall squat x 5
OH wall hack squat x 5
Prying hack squat @12kg x 3
NCC @dbl 8kg x 1

Felt good waking up but knowing it's gonna be a rainy day decided to give myself good stimulus in the morning

Movement prep

OS resets
Club chops and swings progression
Goblet squat @24kg x 5
SLDL @24kg x 2 + 2
BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3

15 min of

• No small points: First couple of sets felt not tight enough so I did some BU cleans & hold @20kg as active rest. Really zipped my clean and tightened the bent press. No small points...
  • Goblet squats: I received my copy of Dynami on Friday. Read, watched, read again. I added the Curl goblet squat to my prep. It not curl at the bottom like the usual prying goblet squat. It is standing with bell held in hands by the horns and curing under the bell... Sort of like a bent-press-ish version of the goblet squat if it makes sense...
  • Dynami: Why I also reintroduced some BU work and SLDL.

Morning prep

OS resets and marching
Suitcase rotations and carry @32kg x 1 + 1

Noon
BU press @12kg x 2 x 3
Cook @12kg (+ marching)
BU carry @12kg+8kg x 2 x 1
BU C&P&S @12+8kg x 1 + 1

~2:45 hrs. Felt good. Some V0, V1 as perp. Couple of V2. Most of the session was V3 and V4 work. Toped the V3s, had some nice work on the V4s. Was still tired (especially grip) from the way too long session on Thursday. Good session. Climbed well.

Lifting - evening
Some (reflexive) stability and alignment work.

Hands & thighs lift @150kg x 4 x 1 - Grip held much better than I expected
NCC @12kg x 1 + 2 (R + L)
BU press @12kg x 3 + 5 (R + L)

Morning prep

OS marching
BU carry @12kg x 1 + 1

Woke up super late and just made some quick movement and alignment to start the day.

Noon

Movement prep

OS resets
Kneeling club chops progression
Goblet squat @24kg x 5
SLDL @24kg x 2 + 2
BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3
BU clean @20kg x 3 + 3

Alternating sets for 15 min
Hands & thighs lift @150kg x 2
  • Hands & thighs doubles: I lifted 1 rep, felt real easy so I did a double (lift, shake off tension, lift again). After the session I checked that the bar was loaded properly... it was...
  • BU work: The reintroduction of BU work feels like it zipping me up better and does it's job to find and shut tension leaks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom