all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Morning prep - beach

Qigong
OS resets
Club swings

Evening - bent press session
Prep

Club swings
Qigong - Man riding a horse drawing a bow, pushing the sky
BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3
NCC @16kg+12kg x 2 x 3/1/2

Practice
Bent press @28kg x 2 x {2 x 1 , 2 x 2}

Later that evening - Gada session
Prep

Some club swings - parallel hearts

Practice
~8 min of Gada swings @5.5kg
360s x 4 x 1 min
10-2s x 2 x 1 min
Hand switch 10-2s x ~ 2 min - Timed by drum beat

Hand switch 10-2s got better with time. I think the first start was not that smooth because I don't have enough confidence in this move yet and I overthink it in the beginning. Later when I settled and just timed the breath and catch it got smoother. Stopped before fatigue became a factor.

Morning prep

Qigong
Stance training x 39 breaths
Club swings

Noon - Bouldering
V3/4 work

Evening - Gada & KB swing session
Prep

Qigong - Man on a horse drawing a bow, pushing the sky
Hindu PUP and Hack squats
Club swings

Practice
10 min total work, rest between series
Series 1:
Shouldering OH 360s

Series 2 (long):
10-2s
Hand switch 10-2s
10-2s

Series 3 (until track end):
10-2s
One thing I need to remember, the breath in is not on the beat but on the off beat. Breathing on the beat is too early and looses power. It is mostly noticeable in the HS10-2s.

15 min of alternating
Dead-stop OHS @36kg x 1 + 1
OHS @32kg x 2 x 5 - first series @36kg. L not there yet

Morning prep

Qigong
Stance training x 39 breaths
Club swings
Farmer carry @76kg x 10m

Throughout the day
OS resets and club swings
Indian dumbbell swings @dbl BU8k

Evening - PHK PMish
Stance turning x 3 x 3+3
Foot work
Shadow boxing - rear straight

Morning prep

Qigong
Some rocking
Stance training x 41 breath
Rolling
Club swings
Farmer carry @76kg x 20m

Noon - bouldering
V4/5 work

Evening - Gada session
Prep

Qigong
Club swings

Practice
>6 min of Gada swings @5.5kg
360s x 4 x 1 min
10-2s x 2 x 1 min
HS 10-2s x ~1 min - Lost rhythm

HS 10-2s x ~2 min - timed with drum beat

Missed handled my schedule so couldn't BtP until late night when I didn't feel in-groove for it.

Morning prep

OS resets
Qigong
Stance training x 41 breaths
OH wall squats
Hack squats
Club swings

Noon - Bent press session
Prep

Some Qigong
Rocking
Some club swings
BB armbar @12kg x 3+3
Long push press @20kg+16kg x 2 x 3

Practice
Bent press @28kg x 2 x {2 x 1 , 2 x 2} , 2 x 1 + 10m OH carry

Evening session - swinging stuff
Prep

Qigong, seated
Hindu PUP
Some club swings

Practice
6 min Gada swings @5.5kg
Shouldering OH360s x 2 x 1 min - mostly stop:start
10-2s x 4 x 1 min​

15 min of alternating
Dead-stop OHS @32kg x 1 + 1
OHS @32kg x 2 x 5​

Notes
  • Shouldering OH360 in the main section: Starting with the SOH360 makes the handle oily and tiring the grip. Good practice for accuracy though because it is hard to pull the Gada to the catch position with the hands. Grip was to tired for HS10-2s. I would probably concentrate on the grip strength instead of breathing, relaxation and grip mechanics.
  • All lifts on the same day: I didn't want to lag after I missed bent pressing yesterday and could do a split session. Not an issue. Wondering if I should put a "full" day once a week or so. Since it be sparse medium/long term recovery should not be an issue (short term is even less of a concern). I'll try to add one once a week and see how I would respond systemically.

Morning prep

OS resets
OH wall squats
Qigong
Stance training x 43 breath
Club swings

Evening - Bent press session
Prep

Qigong
Club swings
Indian dumbbell swing @dbl BU8kg
BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3
Push press @20kg + 16kg x 2 x 5

Practice
Bent press @28kg x 3 x {2 x 1 , 2 x 2} + 10m OH carry on last two sets

Morning prep

OS resets
Club swings

Morning - Qigong lesson
A local yoga school has Qigong lessons every Sunday morning and have a first month free. I signed and did my first lesson today. No replacement for a live teacher.

Took the morning slowly and got back home at noon. Decided to take the rest of the day off so canceled bouldering. Real off. Not off with bouldering or just some clubs swings/loaded carries/Gada/PHK. Rest. Read. Just some OS resets when feeling that I am going the get "stiffishy".

As usual, off day is not when needed, but before. Had to calm some urge to do just a little bit of something. I am more generous with rest days lately. It is part of minimal-biological-cost frame of mind. Since I still train 3 out of 4 days there is no lapse in my skills and learning process. I trust the process more and there for less afraid to take days off.

Morning prep

OS resets
OH wall squats
Club swings
Qigong
Stance training x 40 breaths

Noon - bouldering
V3/4 work

Afternoon 1 - club swing
Started working on ex. 33 - Asynch hearts with wrist circles. Quite good for first session.

Afternoon 2 - Swinging stuff
Movement prep

Qigong
Some club swings - parallel hearts with traverse turn - Gada timing and breath mechanics
Some Indian club swings @dbl BU8kg

Practice
~8:30 of Gada swings @5.5kg
360s x 4 x 1 min
10-2s x 2 x 1 min
HS 10-2s x ~2:30 min - switching grip by feel, timed with drum beat

15 min of alternating
Dead-stop OHS @36kg x 1 + 1 - First set @32kg
OHS @32kg x 5 + 5​

5+5 feel like 2 x 5 from efficiency and power production POV. Actually when including recovery it feels that 5+5 take less time than 2 x 5. I assume that is because: 1. the overhead cost of each set and 2. hip movement is not the limiting factor in my case but the anti-rotation and/or linkage. So according to that 5+5 is actually more "efficient". I see it as a reason to keep working with 2 x 5 improving my setup and recovery skills, aiming for 2 x 7. While I did both 7s and 10s with good quality a week ago these were not full session reps.

36kg for dead-stops works well. It highlights deficient linkage in the left side swing that is masked with the 32kg and therefore makes me give more attention.

Morning prep

OS resets
Club swings

Late morning - Hatha yoga lesson
My first ever yoga lessons, at the same school I had a Qigong class.
Good lesson. The teacher told me at the and that I practice well and can come to all the classes. While both are meditation in movement, this is quite different than Qigong. I will go to more classes.

Evening - Gada and bent press
Prep

Qigong
Club swings

Practice
6 min of Gada swings @5.5kg
360s x 4 x 1 min
10-2s x 2 x 1 min​

Bent press @28kg x 4 x 2

Very smooth session.

Morning prep

OS resets
Club swings
Qigong
Stance training x 42 breaths

Noon - bouldering
Technique practice. Mostly V2 so the problem itself will not be a limiting factor. Main focus was correct edging with the feet.

Evening - swinging stuff session
Prep

Qigong
Hindu PUP to squats
Some transverse parallel hearts

Practice
~ 8:30 - 9 min of Gada swings @5.5kg
360s x 4 x 1 min
10-2s x 2 x 1 min
HS10-2s x ~2:30 - 3 min - timed by drum beat

Flow. Stopped while swinging well, far from fatigue.
Should start looking for some bamboo poles...

15 min of alternating
Dead-stop OHS @36kg x 1 + 1 - first series @32kg
OHS @32kg x 2 x 7 - 5s on first series

Need to take better care of my skin. Neglected it lately. All the rest time in the KB swing part was filing calluses, they were very distracting in the first series.

Last edited:
Morning prep

OS resets
Qigong
Stance training x 42 breaths
Club swings

Noon - bouldering
Technique work. Short session, was too tired from yesterday.

Evening
Some OS resets
Some Indian dumbbell swings
Farmer's carry @76kg x 10m , 20m

Morning prep

OS resets
Club swings

Noon
Qigong
Stance training x 44 breaths

Afternoon - Gada session
Prep

Some Hindu PUP and squats
Club swings

Practice
~8 min of Gada swings @5.5kg
360s x 4 x 1 min
10-2s x 2 x 1 min
HS10-2s x ~2 min​

My feet felt sweaty and hurt my concentration in the beginning. Never happened to me before, or at least can't remember.

Evening session - bent press
Prep

BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3

Practice
Bent press @28kg x 6 x 2

Morning prep

Qigong
Stance training x 44 breaths
Club swings

Afternoon - Gada session
Prep

Qigong - Man riding a horse drawing a bow > Pushing the sky > Tiger stretches it's back > Dragon clears a path > One arm raising
Club swings

Practice
8 min of Gada swings @5.5kg
360s x 4 x 1 min
10-2s x 2 x 1 min
HS10-2s x 2 x 1 min​

My mind was not completely present. Felt very focused after Qigong, but tried a too complicated move for club swings. It go out of my mind-groove and it is not suitable for prep.

Evening session - KB swing
Prep

Hindu PUP and squats
Long push press @24kg + 20kg x 2 x 3

Practice
15 min of alternating
OHS@36kg x 2 x 5​

36kg Dead-stop felt good on the first set so tried it on the continues sets, felt good as well so kept it. Take's more time to recover than the 32kg so might mix them next session.

@Shahaf Levin, lots of time under tension in the btp. Any noticable benefits?

Previous times I did multiple bent presses the benefits I saw were improved movement awareness, calmness and focus. In the BtP long time under tension is in extreme positions and therefore, IMO, increase the mentioned qualities to keep the proper movement pattern. Any lapse or leak that can be managed in the first rep is highlighted in the second (not to mention the 3rd). When I "lapse" I find it very difficult to get to the lockout position in the second rep.

Furthermore, it makes the lift more meditative and ,when properly done, takes it towards the realm of (heavily loaded) yoga. With singles the only way I got the same effect is when doing 30-50 singles a session following Justafied Bent Pressing from Taming the Bent Press.

And if you eat enough the TUT will result in hypertrophy... or weight loss if you don't eat enough :)

Morning prep

OS resets

Morning - Qigong lesson

Late morning
Goblet squat @32kg x 5
Club swings

Noon - bouldering
V2 technique work, V3/4 work.

Evening session - Gada session
Prep

Qigong, seated
Hindu PUP and squats
Club swings - parallel traverse hearts

Practice
8 min of Gada swings @5.5kg
10-2s x 2 x 1 min
HS10-2s x 2 x 1 min
360s x 4 x 1 min​

10-2s were not sharp, 360s were. Should keep starting with 360s for now. They put me in a better rhythm. Probably because there is no side change in 360s.

Suppose to had bent press as well but I came back home late and I don't like to lift late in the evening, I can't fall asleep at a normal hour when I do. Will switch bent press with tomorrow rest day.

Morning prep

Qigong - One arm raising > Man riding a horse drawing a bow > Pushing the sky > Tiger streches it's back > Dragon clears path
Stance training x 46 breaths - easy
Squats (OH, OH hack) @ricebag
Club swings - first attempt at windmills since it blew my brain out a long time ago. Easy. Prefect practice works again.

Afternoon session - bent press
Prep

OS resets
Club swings - windmills
Gada swings @5.5kg x by feel - SHO360s and 10-2s
BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3
Goblet squat @32kg x 5

Practice
Bent press @28kg x 8 x 2

Long note - relaxed face
This morning I had a conversation with a true friend about yoga (she brought me to the yoga school). She said two thing relevant here. She mentioned relaxation of the face as vital part in relaxation of the body and mind and that one can always relax more. Today when lifting I practiced relaxed face and tried to relax it more all the time. While I am bent pressing for a long time, the 28kg is moderate weight for me and doubles with it is not difficult, today it was stupidly easy. I see multiple bent press reps as a means to learn calmness by demanding it, but today it was not an issue at all.

I read allot about keeping blank expression when lifting and I practice that for some years (at least try to). Today was profoundly different. Blank face is one thing, calm face is a different thing. One (or at least I) can keep a blank face with tension. When the face is relaxed as much as possible, and than some more, you get a calm expression. As I gathered tension at setup I relaxed my face and found that I had a substantial amount to dissipate, at least more than I thought would be. Kept going with relaxing the face during the clean and rack positions. Like everything, when the setup is good the lift is good. When the setup was relaxed it was easy to keep this calm face during the bend, lockout and recovery phases. Even when pulling the bell down to the rack.

When you reach a calm expression it brings with it a calm mind. A calm mind doesn't have suppressed concerns and doubts, like time under tension in awkward positions in (my) the BtP case, and therefore does not interfere with the movement.

Last edited:
Morning prep

OS resets
Ricebag squats (OH and OH hack)
Club swings

Late morning - Yoga lesson
Good session. Learning allot about relaxation and letting go.

Noon - bouldering
V2s and 3s. V4 work, not hard, but crimpy, and I suck at crimps that's why I work on it. Some V6 work at the end.

Evening - Gada swing
Prep

Qigong
Club swings, light and basic

Practice
~9 min if Gada swings @5.5kg
360s
10-2s
HS10-2s
10-2s​

Relaxed face, calm expression, flow. Timed everything with the drum beat and feel, change direction/hand position when I noticed a variation in the drum track. Stopped far from fatigue. I finished the session when I thought that switching back to HS10-2s will hurt the flow. I like the idea of timing with the music and not timer.

Qigong part was long apparently, again finished late, will (KB) swing tomorrow. I think that in this cold days it's taking me long to start the session mentally. I should make sure I allocate time better. With that in mind, I did four practice sessions today...

Morning prep

Qigong

Noon
OS resets
Stance training x 43 breaths
Club swings

Afternoon session
Prep

Some club swings
Hindu PUP
Goblet squat @32kg x 5
Gada SOH360s and 10-2s @5.5kg x by feel
BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3

Practice
Bent press @28kg x 10 x 2

15 min of alternating
OHS @36kg x 2 x 5 - first set of L was 7

Relaxed face, calm expression. Gada floated, bent press smooth, had to check the KB on the OHS to make sure I didn't pick up the 32kg by mistake. I had no idea how much tension I was storing in my face, definitely was even close in hypothesizing it's affect. Maybe I did hypothesized and it's all a placeboish thing. Either way I move, feel and recover better - by doing less. The definition perfection by Antoine de Aaint-Exupéry comes to mind: "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Morning prep

Qigong
Stance training x 43 breaths
Club swings

Afternoon session
Prep

OS resets
Some clubs swings

Practice
10 min of Gada swings @5.5kg
360s x 4 - some OH360s mixed in
10-2s x 2
HS10-2s x 2
10-2s x 2
HS10-2s x 2​

Again timed with drum beat, stopped when the track ended. A set is a hand-position/direction change.

Second Gada accident - hit my face with the pole on one of the HS10-2s in the first round - one more reason to watch the catch... I think that my technique got better afterwards ;)

Dead-stop snatch
@16kg x 1 + 1
@20kg x 1 + 1 , 2 + 2
@24kg x 1 + 1​

Swinging the 36kg confidently made me think I should start practicing the snatch. Emphasized sharp hip lock and a second or to holding the OH position. Right side is good. Left felt light but needs some confidence building work to smooth the movement, or maybe is it smoothing the movement for some confidence... either way, same path - practice.

Evening - beach volleyball session
6 sets at moderate+ level. Good movement, good play, good company. Timing a bit off on attacks, but the cold and the fact that I haven't been playing for a while might be contributing. Had allot of fun.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom