all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
How do you offset the hip tightness that comes from the tissues changing their normal resting lengths?

No hip tightness at all... I do "four levels low stance" from @Pavel Macek PHK course

kTsCq3

Morning - Qigong lesson

The most experiential session I've ever had. Can't really explain.

Noon - bouldering
Started doing the competition problems (the wall had a competition Saturday). Did a bad-stupid-not-focused move on one of the V3 and injured my right hip. Stopped the session.

Rest of day
Some OS resets. Right hamstring hurt on contact.

First time being limited since March 2018 (also stupid bouldering injury). Remembered that in my pre OS/FMS/SF days I didn't even count a thing like that as injury but as stiffness and handled stuff like that daily/weekly. Good these days are behind me.

Morning prep

OS resets
Right hamstring does not hurt on contact. Hinge pattern limited and with pain at end range.

Throughout the day
Lots of walking and some Supernova mobility work.

Evening
Prep

Some Qigong
Supernova mobility work and some SLDL @28kg for singles on the right leg. Still not full ROM, but much better.
BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3
mpTGU @12kg x 1 + 1
Straddle sit press @16kg+12kg x 2 x 3

Practice
30 min of alternating
Gada swings @5.5kg x by feel
{PP, PP , LPP , LPP} @24kg+20kg x 1​

Forward bend ROM at end of practice were it started.
Decided to go for PP session since the wide stance of dbl bells keep my hinge far from injured end range and the clean itself does not load the hinge heavily. Did a slower pace to make sure I am focused on all movements. All was well and explosive. No pain at any point. Took more liberty with more Gada swings time to make sure I am rested enough hinge-wise

Some more time measurements
Analyzed some video from last session of long push press singles. Had six videos, all lifts took between 12-13 sec. It is 1-2 sec more than the standard/shallow push press singles I videoed, which sounds about right to me. I should time set length my next snatch session. While 5s are the standard A+A snatches NL I wonder how long my sets are.

Last edited:
How do you offset the hip tightness that comes from the tissues changing their normal resting lengths?

Just wondering, but maybe you didn't find the correct pelvic position and loaded the hip flexors too much? While a different stance, I feel my hips looser after the "four levels low stance"... Maybe @Pavel Macek will have some insight.

Morning prep

OS resets
Cook @20kg x ~6 min
Club swings

Noon - bouldering
Tons of V2s. Leg felt good but decided to go conservative and not to do V3/4s.

Evening - balance
7 min of ~continues alternating
Goblet squat @24kg x 5
Dand x 3​

8 min of ~continues alternating
Fake Gar Nal bethak @48kg x 1
OA dand progression x 1 + 1​

Morning prep

OS resets
Some squats

Noon - beach
Qigong
Stance training x 60 breaths

Rested the rest of the day

Morning prep

OS flows

Noon - bouldering
Again lots of V2s, handful of V3 work. Some Supernova smash&floss of right hamstring before the session.

Afternoon
Prep

BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3
mpTGU @12kg x 1 + 1

Practice
30 minutes of alternating
Gada swing @5.5kg x some amount
Snatch @24kg x 3 - videoed 4 sets, 11 ses/set

Testing my right leg with hinge, felt good. Still missing ROM on forward bend and have some mild pain at end range. I am not forcing recovery but taking longer rests in session to increase focus and lower the load.

I should so a snatch session without the Gada and with passive rest, I recover slower than with push-press. Probably because I need more mental focus to snatch properly.

Evening - beach volleyball session
Light-moderate level. Good movement, and control. Some of the players overly self-focused which makes my lesson staying clam and Zen-ish more challenging.

Morning - beach
Morning prep

OS flow
Qigong

Beach volleyball session
Some moderate level sets, one high-moderate level set.

Noon - loaded gait
Taught a lesson at the beach, rucking @16kg the way to and from the beach. Probably collecting ~14 min

Evening - loaded gait continued
This OS stuff with various squating and crawling
Collecting 3:20 min of farmer carry @76kg x 10m - 2 rounds needed
Club swings after each carry round, emphasizing asynch swings with traverse turns

Those 1.15BW carries really command attention. I am glad I put heavy loaded gait as a pillar of my training this "season", my body feels tied well. And these are seriously time effective.

Gada
The 5.5kg feels light, I have no problem doing 10 min of OH work so I moved it to a active rest duty for now to focus on other qualities (snatch/push press loaded gait). I am suppose to move to an apartment with a yard soon and will build a heavier Gada there. Might build a proper Gar Nal as well.

Morning - "The five rites" Tibetan drills mini-workshop

Participated in a mini-workshop of "the five rites" Tibetan drills. It is part of Tibetan Buddhist monk practicing. Seems like their version of OS resets when looking from their POV

Noon - Pranayama workshop part 1/4
Started a Pranayama workshop. Some theory about prana, quantum mechanics and string theory and lots of breathing exercises. Lots of laughs, fun and stuff to think about.

Evening - bounce session
Prep

OS flow

Practice
30 min of alternating
Gada swings @5.5kg x 10 hands
Push press @24kg+20kg x 2 x 1
Long push press @24kg+20kg x 1 x 1 - changed to 28kg+24kg ~midway
  • Since Gada is now on active-rest duty I thought about cutting its part in the mix. Not sure yet if I recover better with Gada or passive rest for push presses.
  • LPP@28kg+24kg was sharp in the first lift and so-so in the second. That was probably because of a not tight enough clean. Third lift was better than the 2nd and not as sharp as the 1st, also attributed to the clean. Better to start with the heavier load and reduce during the session if needed.
  • Regardless of the quality of the lift, the 28kg+24kg felt aligned and stable in the OH lockout position. That's almost 80% BW held comfortably over my head. While far from BW strict press I am still pleased
  • I think I should split the push press and long push press sessions in order to keep the sessions simpler.

Morning - Qigong lesson

Again, very experiential.

Noon - bouldering
Started adding back V3 work. Solved the V3 I injured myself on and another one on the slab. Some V4 work. Still missing ROM at forward bend with slight pain. Also some pain at some loading pattern, when I encounter these I do not repeat them until better healing.

Evening - balance
7 min of continuous alternating
Hack squat @8kg x 3 - 12kg on last round, that's basically a loaded bethak
Dand x 3​

Club swings - inward hearts variations

7 min of continuous alternating
Fake Gar Nal bethak @48kg x 1
OH dand progression x 1 + 1​

Club swings - outward hearts variations

Morning prep

OS flows
Club swings

Noon - beach
Leopard and baby crawling x 6 min - forgot how demanding crawling is, not sure that baby crawling at beach is rest, different kind of work (dragging sand with the knees)

Qigong

Evening
Life stuff took to much time...

Did some band-distracted(R hip) rocking, really helped with my hip/leg.

Slept awful last night, so unfocused today...

Evening
Prep

OS resets (hip banded rocking)
BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3
mpTGU @12kg x 1 + 1
Some Supernova smash&floss
SLDL
@28kg x 2 x 5
@24kg x 1 x 5 - right leg

Practice - loaded gait
Collecting 10 min of BU carry @16kg x 10m - needed 2 rounds
Hindu headstand practice in the rest period

Both moves best I've done by far. Opted for loaded gait because I am tired, worked well. Maybe my brain didn't get in the way of my reflexes :)

That is Supernova
y3CXmU

mini-supernova-web1-510x510.jpg

Smash&floss is a soft tissue mobility technique I learned from Becoming a Supple Leopard were you put pressure and massage the trigger point (smash) and move the limb repetitively (floss). Haven't used any direct mobility work in about two years, but my recent injury calls from some tissue work in the injured area.

Morning prep

OS flows
Some smash&floss for the hip followed by stability work
Club swings

Noon - bouldering
Prep

Some smash&floss
SLDL @16kg x 2 x 5

Practice
General work. Have some lack of confidence in the right hip in problems I haven't solved yet. I assume it is more mental than physical since, but all is part of the healing process.

Evening - bounce
Prep

Qigong
BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3
Gada swings @5.5kg x ~6:40 min - mostly HS10-2s, some OH360s
SLDL @{16kg , 20kg} x 3 + 5 (L + R) - raised for comfortable ROM on R - 4 plates

Practice
20 min of
Snatch @24kg x some 3s, some 5s​

• 3s and 5s are equally easy, 3s naturally require less rest. I probably rested too long between sets, actually resting the time I would use for Gada. Maybe a habit from previous sessions?
  • I don't have HR monitor and I tried to use my phones camera HR app. 3s ended with HR 140, 5s with 147-149. Started sets when HR dropped under 118-120. Too much time wasted with it is responsible for at least some of the too long rests. For now talk test is enough (it seems fine much before HR is 120).
  • It seems that while my power it self is fine (all snatch sets were easy) my aerobic/recovery capacity is the limiter. Will see how much volume I collect when not using the HR app and see what happens before I make decisions.
  • Session length limited to 20 min because it is the first timed not paired with Gada. Will make it longer with time.
  • Seems that all the prep drill, each individually, and snatches improved ROM and made end range less painful (actually no pain at the end of the session).

Last edited:
Morning - yoga lesson

All-levels class. Very good session. Felt present and lucid.

Evening
Some club swings

Slept bad again last night, coughing too much with dry throat. Also going to a party tonight at the bouldering wall (yeah, not exactly following the safety rules...) so need some rest :)

Last edited:
Throughout the day

OS resets
Club swings

Another night of too little sleep due to the party and family engagements in the morning so took it easy

Morning prep

OS flows
Club swings
Hack squat @12kg x 5

Noon - pranayama workshop 2 / 4
Revisited some of the practice of last session with addition of kumbaka (breath hold) and learned some new exercises

Evening
Prep

Qigong
BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3
Goblet squat @24kg x 5
Gada swings @5.5kg x ~5 min
SLDL @{16kg , 20kg} x 3 + 5 (L + R) - raised for comfortable ROM on R - 4 plates

Practice
25 min of
Push press @24kg + 20kg x 1 - one round each side @28kg+24kg

21 rounds

Last edited:
Morning - Qigong lesson

Different than other lessons. Allot of variety lately, too much for my taste as it makes me give more attention to the lesson than to myself. Since lately I've got some issues with my new apartment I would prefer more consistency in the lessons. While it is not the variety of movement that I find distracting but the (additional) variety in the flow of the session. I can manage one or the other, but both take me too much resource. Since I am not sure the affect of the apartment situation on my general practice I am trying not to give it too much thought at the moment.

Noon - bouldering
Prep: SLDL @16kg x 2 x 5
Practice: Did the party problems again this time beer-free. Solved some V3s, had some issues with two others. Couldn't perform the move of the crux on V4 problem (black volumes). I felt it was fatigue mostly, next session will test this hypothesis.

Evening - loaded gait
Prep

OS flows
BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3
SLDL
@16kg x 3 + 5 - R - starting at top and going down for depth by feel
@20kg x 3 + 5 - KB on 4 plates

Practice
Collecting 9 min of waiter carry @28kg x 10m - to OH with bent press, needed 3 rounds
Club swings on rest periods

The bent presses are easy and keeping the groove rust-free for when the next bent press season will start. The carries teach upright alignment pretty much better than anything else.

[EDIT:]
All the snatches and double push presses improved my hinge power. On the first 28kg cleans I was somewhat overpowering and cleaned the bell shoulder height. Since the bell is moved to the back rack and the rack was zipped well it was not an issue and actually saved a bit time so I kept it. I did had to dial it during the session so the "high rack" would be by design and not just launched to there.
[END EDIT]

Last edited:
Morning prep

OS flows
Hack squats x 5
OH wall squats x 5
Some jumping on the right leg - emphasizing sticking the landing

Noon - beach
Qigong
Stance training in the mud x 60 breaths - calm and comfortable

Evening - bounce
Prep

Club swings
Smash&floss
SLDL @{16kg , 20kg} x 3 + 5 - full ROM
Some more club swings

Practice
25 min of
Snatch @24kg x 5​

15 rounds

Got back to a toe-touch at the end of the session. I guess some of the residual injury is more of a pain-memory/control thing so doing pain-free hinge at practice, especially ballistics which promote relaxation, has good affect.

I now have some baseline for volume in the push press and snatch, I might count rounds again the future to compare. The rounds themselves are comfortable, explosive, fluid and tight at lockout, I still take time to recover. I that some of my recovery issue is that I might be stack on 9-10 on the "heat" dial. For lockout it feel like in some reps the bell is too fast and I need to pull the bell back down.

Last edited:
Morning - loaded gait

Rucking to and form the beach @16kg backpack

Noon - bouldering
Started well, overloaded my injured leg on the blue slab problem (V3). Jumped off the wall and ended session.

Evening - loaded gait
Prep

Smash & floss
SLDL
@16kg x 3 + 5 - R - starting at top and going down for depth by feel
@20kg x 3 + 5 - KB on 4 plates
Some single leg jumps on R - sticking the landing
Hack squats

Practice
Collecting
2:45 min of farmer carry @76kg x 10m - needed 2 rounds
1:15 min of farmer carry @68kg x 10m
6 min of suitcase carry @36kg x 10m

Gada/club swings on rest periods​

The re-injury didn't send me allot back, maybe 2-3 days. Need to be more thoughtful when bouldering for a while and stay away from hard straight leg rooting/scooping with the right leg

Last edited:
Morning prep

OS flows
Hack squat
OH wall squats

Noon
Smash & floss
SLDL @16kg x 3 + 5

Afternoon - beach
Pranayama
Qigong
Stance training x 60 breath - the stance gets more comfortable with each breathing cycle

Evening - bend / balance
12 min of continues alternating
Bethak @12kg x 3 - Loaded bethak without specifying implement (rg. Gar Nal) is a hack squat
Dand x 3​

Calm session. Tested it as a version of rest day. Seems to work well with a light loaded squat, more of a loaded mobility session.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom