all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Some OS resets throughout the day

Morning

Goblet squat @20kg x 5
HK halos @20kg x 3 + 3
BU clean @16kg x 2 x (3 + 3)

Arcoyoga lesson x 2hrs - not my usual lesson, but it's the first day of 4 month vacation from work so I had to do something fun :)

Evening

Movement prep
OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
Bent armbar @20kg x 1 + 1

Bent & Sinister
Bent press
@20kg x 1 + 1
@24kg x 1 + 1
@28kg x 2 x (1 + 1) - moderate
@20kg x 1 + 1
@24kg x 2 x (1 + 1)
@28kg x 1 + 1 - heavy - shoulder packing on L wasn't up to par.
Moderate / hard - effort 8-9 of 10 (7 before the last 28kg, 8-9 after).

1-arm Swing
@24kg x 2 x 10
@32kg x 2 x 10
@24kg x 2 x10
Moderate. 6-7 of 10. 24kg begs to be snatched. I keep the swing/snatch volume low on acroyoga days at least for now (high volume/low intensity posterior chain grind-like). Prefer to err on the side of less...

Notes
  • Bent press: Thought after the session on Marty Gallagher saying that heavy weights teach with a big stick.

OS resets during the day

Noon

Beach volleyball - low level games (~3 hrs)

Evening
3 x Superset of
Suitcase carry @36kg x 1 + 1
Waiter carry @20kg x 1 + 1​

Dbl rack carry @28kg + 24kg x 2

Lately on days that I don't fell mentally sharp for bent press I do loaded carries

Morning

Beach volleyball ~2 hrs

Afternoon
Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
Bent armbar @20kg x 1 + 2 (L/R)

Bent & Sinister
Bent press
@24kg x 2 x (1 + 1)
@28kg - attempted at L, side rack didn't fell stable so aborted
@24kg x 1 x (1 + 1) - packing on L felt mediocre - down to 20kg for groove work
@20kg x 5 x (1 + 1)
Snatch
@16kg x 2 x 10
@20kg x 4 x 10
Shoulder capsule mob (Supple leopard...) for left shoulder - found what seemed to be a ER missing corner that probably had allot to do with the shoulder packing issue today.

Late Evening
Acroyoga lesson (4 of 8)

EDIT:
Great lesson . General rehearsal on the last 3 lessons and learning to transition from back balance to a Bat pose and from a Bat to Teardrop. Strength do translate well to everything ;)

Notes
  • We had rough weather around here for couple of days, although I train at home it put me in a sedentary state of mind that led to lack of movement. Need to get out of this frame of mind...

Last edited:
Bent armbar @20kg x 1 + 2 (L/R)

Hi, great log. Have you considered using a lighter bell for the bent armbar with increased reps and / or hold time? In my experience, time under tension is what you need here to improve carryover to the bent press. IMO, avoid making this a strength move and go with a 12kg if you have it. All the best.

It's quite easy to me with the 20kg. A "1" in the log is about 5-10 sec hold, than 3-5 reps of hip-to-ground-while-keeping-torso-aligned, than bent armbar (the rep count is only for the bents)

If you think still more time under tension is useful, or maybe longer hold in the bent position (I hold for about a second) I'll give it a try. If the 20kg will be to much I'll use the 16kg... will report in my log

I currently link the less than perfect left shoulder today to the lack of proper movement and being over sedentary the last few days...

Thanks for the advice!

Movement prep
Long OS resets session + get up game
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
Bent armbar @16kg x 2 x (2 + 2) - as described at a recent post + added pause at the "bent" position
BU clean @16kg x 3 + 3
BU front squat @16kg x 1 + 1 (after each set of cleans)

Bent & Sinister
Bent press
@20kg x 1 + 1
@24kg x 2 x (1 + 1)
@28kg x 1 + 1
@24kg x 2 x (1 + 1)
Moderate - 7-8 of 10.
Notes
  • Bent press: long reset session and @natewhite39 armbar suggestion (used a 16kg cause I don't have a 12kg) cleared the left shoulder packing issue from yesterday. Groove still feels not as sharp as last week, but that's general and not shoulder related.
  • General: went out for a long vacation last Thursday and it kind of messed up my daily schedule (both movement and meals). I guess it's at least part of the rusty BtP groove and lack of energy (the reason I didn't swing today). I assume I'll get on some sort of schedule by the end of the week and will clear this issue.

Last edited:
Late morning

Continuing the "taking a page out of @natewhite39's book" week:
~3.5km walk on the beach, various degrees of sand density (total daily walk at ~4.5km)

Evening
Since it is again Tuesday, and somehow I'm short on time I decided to just do a solid movement prep work instead of rushed half B&S session, so:

Movement prep
OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
Bent armbar @16kg x 3 + 3
HK halos @16kg x 5 + 5
BU clean&press&squat @16kg x 3 x (1 + 1)
BU carry @20kg x 1/4 + 1/4
Framer carry @64kg x 1

Notes
  • Walking: That's a looong reset session. Mind clearing. Like.
  • Bent armbar: To early to judge for results. But so far I like the patterning feeling of longer time-under-tension.
  • Taking a page out of Nate's book: No. Tomorrow will not be a Dbl 32kg press day... that will wait for a while ;)

Last edited:

Late noon

OS resets + play time at the beach x 30 min

Afternoon
Movement prep

Goblet squat @20kg x 5
BU C&P&S @16kg x 2 x (1 + 1)

Bent & Sinister
Bent press
@20kg x 1 + 1
@24kg x 1 + 1
@20kg x 1 + 1
@28kg x 1 + 1 - Good on L, acceptable on R (see notes section)
@24kg x 1 + 1
@20kg x 1 + 1
@28kg x 1 + 1 - Good both sides
@24kg x 3 x (1 + 1)
Moderate + - 8 of 10

1-arm swing
@24kg x 2 x 10
@32kg x 2 x 10
@24kg x 4 x 10​
Swing & Snatch (alternating each rep. 2 reps = 1 swing followed by 1 snatch)
@24kg x 2 x 10​

Moderate - 7-8 of 10

Notes
  • Bent press groove: I seemed to be "over cleaning" on the right side with the 28kg (rack position too high). This lead to sub-optimal shoulder packing which results in less than cool groove. I corrected it on the second 28kg set with good results. I than realized I was doing it with also with the 24kg, but I apparently can pull it back to place in the rack position. So corrected it on the 24kg as well.
  • Bent press load: Experimented to find a deload "rhythm". The variability seems to be good. However, should work more conventional toward less bells. Less decisions = more focus on the lift.
  • Swing: The grip is the limiting factor swinging the 32kg. Of course grip has tight relationship with shoulder packing. I'll add some heavy suitcase carries for my morning greasing.
  • Swing & Snatch: That was actually much easier than expected, I tired it cause I still had allot of energy at the end, but didn't felt like testing the grip with the 32kg. However, grip is an issue when switching from snatch to swing, maybe because of the different arcs... anyone have experience with these?

grip is an issue when switching from snatch to swing, maybe because of the different arcs... anyone have experience with these?

I do them sometimes, but no trouble with grip. The grip is definitely different, though, between swing and snatch.

I do them sometimes, but no trouble with grip. The grip is definitely different, though, between swing and snatch.

I guess I just didn't take the grip difference in account while doing it and compensated by, well, gripping harder (instead of correctly)...

Last sets of the session is not the best time to learn new skills, even "only gripping*".

* I know there is no "only gripping" ;)

Morning

OS resets
Suitcase carry @32kg x 1/2 + 1/2

Acroyoga Lesson
Lesson 3 with the morning class x 2hrs​

Did allot of base work. Tired.

Evening
Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
BU clean & HK press & OH lung & Squat @16kg x 1 + 1

Bent & Sinister
Bent press
@24kg x 8 x (1 + 1)​

Moderate : 7 of 10

Swing
@24kg x 4 x 10
@20kg x 10 + 10
Moderate : 7 of 10

Notes
  • Bent press: Gave extra attention to the clean. Solid groove on both sides.
  • Swing: 24kg didn't feel crisp enough. 20kg felt easy. Had allot of time under tension in the morning acroyoga session, which is probably a big factor. Yesterday's swing session was crisp and energetic. No KB tomorrow.

@Strong Rick,
Well, It's like doing an armbar, and than pulling your arm down to the "bent" position, trying to touch your right elbow to your left butt, while keeping the forearm vertical and the shoulder packed. It's to the bent press the same as the armbar to the get-up. It's also known as crooked armbar.

560a_544 - tgu crooked arm bar.still002.jpg

I don't remember where exactly did I pick those up, maybe I think I saw the mention in the blog as a Bent press progression on the PM-Squared article. Since than I've seen at as a bent press prep movement in Taming The Bent Press , FMS exercise library , and another once or twice on the SF blog.

For me it's like a great patterning drill which takes the armbar to the next level. Recently I adopted @natewhite39 suggestion to go down in weight and increase time under tension (I previously used 20kg x 1 + 1). So far it's works well (which shouldn't surprise me with a patterning/prep move), will keep this loading scheme for now (actually Nate suggested a 12kg, but I don't have one).

Well, It's like doing an armbar, and than pulling your arm down to the "bent" position, trying to touch your right elbow to your left butt, while keeping the forearm vertical and the shoulder packed. It's to the bent press the same as the armbar to the get-up. It's also known as crooked armbar.
Thanks @Shahaf Levin !

Morning

Beach volleyball training (some attack, mostly setting) x 1:15 hrs

Afternoon
Beach volleyball coaching

Throughout the day
OS resets and playtime

Morning

Beach volleyball ~3hrs

Noon
Acroyoga practice ~2hrs

Throughout the day
OS resets and playtime
Added some Superman cross crawls, across body rocking variations and squat rolling to my usual stuff​

Notes on Acroyoga lessons (and in general)
It's a beginners class, which is great, cause I'm a complete beginner. However, the hardest thing for me is not learning the skill, but trying to do that while working with the people who are beginners to movement (in general) and therefore has low levels of reflexive strength (their Xs are completely loose).It shows when people (easily seen with flyers) move their limbs during a transition and lose all stability, making everything much harder than it is, especially with heavier flyers.

Makes me think on the performance pyramid. Acroyoga is a skill, teaching that on top of lacking fundamentals of mobility, stability and basic human movement patterns is problematic.

That's not bitching on my classmates, just an observation regarding teaching skill (I see the same problem with my beach volleyball beginners class as a coach, which is why the roll & rock in the prep section of practice). It is also a challenge for me.

Maybe I should somehow force them to baby crawl for a couple of minutes before each lesson ;)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom