all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Rest day. Travelling to my parents

Still at my parents.
Evening session
Prep

OS resets
Dumbbell Sots press complex @8kg + 8kg x 2 x 1

Practice
Kushti dumbbell swing @8kg + 8kg x ~ 1 min
12 min of continues alternating
Bethak x {2 , 4, 6 , 8 , 10}
Dand x {1 , 2, 3 , 4 , 5}​

Noon - bouldering
Prep

OS resets

Practice
Started on the new problems build, felt off, did some more easy problems, felt off, started some V4 work, felt better.

Evening
Prep

Qigong
Club swings
Sots press complex @8kg + 8 kg x 1 , 2 - 2s - doubling all the presses

Practice
10 min of Gada swings @5.5kg
The usual - mostly HS10-2s, some OH360s, handful of OH10-2s
Gada work was fine, but still a bit off energetically so stopped there. I come back off from weekends at my parents place. I assume it is both the change in routine, sleep, "food patterns", being sedentary and the elevated stress levels that family can cause.

Morning - yoga lesson

All-levels class

Noon - balance / loaded gait
10 min of continues suitcase carry @32kg x 10m
Deadlift R > carry 10m R> down R> switch hands > same on L > repeat​

Thought I had to take breaks to accumulate 10 min, I guess at this weight re-deadlifting every 10m is enough rest.

Evening - bounce session
Prep

OS resets
BB armar @12kg x 3 + 3
TGU+presses @16kg x 1 + 1
Sots press complex @8kg + 8kg x 2 x 1
BB armbar @12kg x 3 L only - after the sots felt too loose on L so gained some control back
Club swings

Practice
20 min of alternating
Gada swings @5.5kg x 10 hands - HS10-2s and OH360s
Snatch @{20kg x 2 x 2 , 2 x 3 , 2 x 5, @24kg x 2 x 2 , 2 x 3 , 20kg x 2 x 5}​

• First round of Gada cleared my left side completely. It is also nice use of rest time.
  • 24kg feels good for doubles and triples, 5s probably not there for constant practice yet so didn't tried it.
  • Drop is getting better, which is why I felt comfortable with the 24kg.
  • Will add 5 more minutes next time when I mix Gada and snatches.

Didn't hear the alarm and had to run out to see an apartment. Small room with a big yard.

Noon - bouldering
Prep: OS resets
Practice: 3 x 123 ladders V2/V3

The apartment look/contract stuff and bouldering took their toll so rested in the evening.

Morning prep

OS resets

Morning - yoga lesson
All-levels class

Afternoon - balance / loaded gait
Some OS rocking
Club swings

Collecting 10:40 min of Fake Gar Nal carry @52kg x 10m
Good morning up > walk 10m > squat down
On some of the late rounds I had some club swings (backward circles) in the 5m point
Evening session - bounce
Prep
Qigong
Hindu headstand
mpTGU @12kg x 1 + 1
Sots press complex @8kg + 8kg x 1 , @BU8kg + 8kg x 1 - squatting up in the BU position is not stable, I only succeed cause I grip hard - L mobility, not a problem on the way down

Practice
10 min of Gada swings @5.5kg
The usual. Added some 10-2s to make sure technique is still there along with two-handed mobility.

Notes
  • Loaded carries for time (OS style): These seem very efficient as a training tool. High net time of practicing full body movement. Ticking all OS pillars of movement - breathing, vestibular control, contra-lateral patterns - and doing so under load. Hanging the bells of the neck has a wobble effect that put different stimulus on the system. Also ticks breathing and balance (and some bounce) in FMS 4Bs. And the pick-up-carry-put-down cycle adds some lifting to the mix.
  • Gada: Stopped the OH10-2s for now, something about it irritates my left shoulder.
  • Bent press: Probably need to throw some bent presses back to the prep section to make my shoulder happy again.

Morning prep

OS resets

Noon - bouldering
Some V5 work

Evening - bounce session
20 min of alternating
Gada swings @5.5kg x ~10 hands
Push press - first half @20kg+16kg x 5 , second half @24kg+20kg x 3​

Morning prep

Qigong
Stance training x 50 breaths - haven't donw it in a while so dialed back to 50
Club swings
Some dands
Cook drill @16kg x ~10 min

Night session - some movement
OS flow
Frog roll > 1/2 GU > elevated roll > dand > pushup roll > down to start​
Club swings
Some OH squats @ricebag - mixing hack and standard
Hindu headstand
Kushti dumbbell swings
@BU8kg + 8kg x 1 round
@12kg dumbbell - one hand at a time x 1 round each hand - easy
@BU12kg + BU8kg x 2 rounds - first time I succeed with BU12kg on L

OS flow felt really good

Last edited:
Morning prep

OS flow (same as yesterday)
Club swings
Ricebag squats
Cook drill @16kg x 14 min

Noon - bouldering
Mostly V5 work

Evening / night
Straddle sit press
@16kg + 12kg x 2 x {1 , 2 , 3}
@20kg + 16kg x 1 , 2​

12 min of continues
Fake Gar Nal bethak @40kg x 2
Dand x 3​

Morning - Qigong lesson

Completely different than usual. Good lesson that kind of showed we are grasping the ideas of Qigong practice.

Noon - bouldering
Mostly V5 work.

Evening
Life stuff that took to much ,mental focus

Morning - yoga lesson

All levels class

Evening
Movement prep

Some club swings
OS flow
BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3
Straddle sit press @16kg+12kg x 2 x 3

Practice
30 min of alternating
Gada swings @5.5kg x ~ 10 hands
Push press @24kg + 20kg x 1​

Good session. Felt good. Explosive and fluid. Alternated between quick lowering and active negatives on the push press.

I don't count rounds, but know it was an even number on the push press from switching the sides of the uneven bells. The beep was in the middle of a Gada part. If I had to guess I would say around 1:30 min a round.

Last edited:
Morning prep

Qigong
Stance training
Club swings

Noon - bouldering
New set - V0 to V3. V4 work on purple problem.

Evening - balance / loaded gait
Collecting 10 min of fake Gar Nal carry @52kg x 10m - needed 2 rounds
Club swings
Some pistols and dands

Morning prep

OS resets
Club swings
Some ricebag work

Noon - home
Rack carry @28kg+24kg x 2 x 10m

Noon - beach
Qigong
Stance training x 50 breaths
Some dands

Evening
Prep

OS flow
mpTGU @12kg x 1 + 1

Practice
30 min of alternating
Push press @24kg+20kg x {2 , 2 , 1 , 1}​

Time test for push press
@Stuart Elliott , @Harald Motz

I videoed 9 sets of double (forgo to film one) and two sets of singles.
Singles(Q) were with quick descend, double had quick descend on rep 1 and alternated between quick(QQ) and slow-ish (active-negative) (QS) on rep 2.
Set length was measured from the moment the bells were griped until they touched down back on the floor. Forgot to video singles with slow descend.

Findings
Singles:
Q: 11 sec/set​

Doubles:
QQ: 15 sec for all sets
QS: 15 sec, spread between 14 and 16 sec, one set of 18 sec​

Discussion
Most of the time is the setup/down and the first rep. If you consider @Fabio Zonin's guideline of counting the setup and setdown as a rep each than 11/3*4 is almost 15 and the times make sense. I think that the reason there is no length difference between QQ and QS is that the bounce-and-zip after the second rep is about the same time it take me to active-negative a relatively light weight. Once the clean&carry of 28kg+24kg will become comfortable I will test singles at that weight. Will time doubles of clean&push press next time, but I guess it will be around 20 sec if technique is sharp.

Conclusion
15 sec seems right at the border for A+A, C&PP for doubles will probably just call for longer recovery and longer sessions. I have no idea how the "venturing out" of the 15 sec mark will affect results. When weight will get light I will experiment with viking push presses, but I think these have somewhat different uses, somewhat like dead-stop swings and continues swings.

As for me, I will keep alternating doubles and singles for now, I got 28 push presses and around 13 min (180 hands) of Gada work in 30 min.

Time test for push press
I videoed 9 sets of double (forgo to film one) and two sets of singles.
Singles(Q) were with quick descend, double had quick descend on rep 1 and alternated between quick(QQ) and slow-ish (active-negative) (QS) on rep 2.
Set length was measured from the moment the bells were griped until they touched down back on the floor. Forgot to video singles with slow descend.

Findings
Singles:
Q: 11 sec/set​

Doubles:
QQ: 15 sec for all sets
QS: 15 sec, spread between 14 and 16 sec, one set of 18 sec​

Discussion
Most of the time is the setup/down and the first rep. If you consider @Fabio Zonin's guideline of counting the setup and setdown as a rep each than 11/3*4 is almost 15 and the times make sense. I think that the reason there is no length difference between QQ and QS is that the bounce-and-zip after the second rep is about the same time it take me to active-negative a relatively light weight. Once the clean&carry of 28kg+24kg will become comfortable I will test singles at that weight. Will time doubles of clean&push press next time, but I guess it will be around 20 sec if technique is sharp.

Conclusion
15 sec seems right at the border for A+A, C&PP for doubles will probably just call for longer recovery and longer sessions. I have no idea how the "venturing out" of the 15 sec mark will affect results. When weight will get light I will experiment with viking push presses, but I think these have somewhat different uses, somewhat like dead-stop swings and continues swings.

As for me, I will keep alternating doubles and singles for now, I got 28 push presses and around 13 min (180 hands) of Gada work in 30 min.

Good analysis. I concur doubles with one clean feels right on the edge of A+A, a double clean feels too long and needs more recovery.
Singles feel perfect, with less recovery time and more repeats possible.

Morning - yoga lesson

All levels class

Noon - bouldering
pretty much same as Tuesday with some more V4 work (blue sloper problem).

Evening - loaded gait and balance
Collecting 10 min of BU carry @16kg x 10m - one run each side @20kg in the middle
Hindu headstands in the rest periods​

12 min of continues alternating
Fake Gar Nal bethak @40kg x 2
Dand x 3
BU carries highlights the neurological aspect of stability. At the 3rd run, even though I don't feel any sort of tiredness, the bell start to wobble. This is the point I stop the timer and rest.

BU carries are a great idea, had never thought of doing them. Are you seeing improvements in grip and core strength?
Are you holding them in the clean position?

Morning prep

OS resets

Noon - beach
Qigong

Throughout the day
Collecting 5 min of farmer carry @76kg x 10m
Rack carry @28kg+24kg x 10m + 10m - to heavy to connect runs, second clean wasn't clean

Morning

Racking to the beach and back with 16kg (went to teach a student with various weights in the bag)

Noon - beach
OS flow
Some Qigong, seated

Evening
Movement prep

BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3
Club swings

Practice
30 min of alternating
Push press @24kg+20kg x 1​

Push press: Started with doubles, than singles, than dip&drive doubles with 28kg+24kg, than back singles all the way through. Without "test mode" for time doubles did feel like they are edging A+A, so I go back on my idea of alternating doubles and singles for now, at least on a regular base and will incorporate some doubles by feel with singles as the base. Will experiment with 28kg+24kg for dip&drives and see when I drive enough to get them to the press point. But no rush there, just collect easy volume.

Last edited:
BU carries are a great idea, had never thought of doing them. Are you seeing improvements in grip and core strength?
Are you holding them in the clean position?
Just started doing them. Following Dan John's advice of varying the type of loaded carries with high frequency so will probably do them ones or twice a week.

I must say that over two years of bent pressing, 15 month bouldring and around 4 month of Gada swings gave me pretty steady core and grip. However, I do expect the loaded carries to in general, and BU in particular to improve on these two to-often-undervalued base qualities.

I do hold them in the clean/rack position.

Morning - Qigong lesson

Noon - bouldering

New set, V0 - V2, one V3, V4 work. Should have done some OS before... and eat.

Evening
OS flow
BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3
Straddle sit press @16kg +12kg x 2 x 3
Sots press complex @12kg+8kg x 2 x 1 - squat back up is the most challenging part

Practice - balance / loaded gait
3 min of waiter carry @28kg x 10m - bent press to OH position
Club swings - adding transverse turns to the asynchronous hearts
Collecting 7:30 min of fake Gar Nal carry @52kg x 10m

Notes
  • Heavy waiter carries: These make the entire body/mind/psych system to pay attention and get in synch. And it a nice way to sneak bent press back in :)
  • Loaded carries in general: I had no idea how much I missed those until I took them out and back in. First time I am using them high freq/high volume. The only downside I notice is that I am constantly hungry since I started this protocol.

Morning prep

OS resets
Club swings

Noon - beach
Wanted to do qigong but it was way to hot (~27 C/80 F) so did some breathing exercises, a -get-slowly-into-the-cold-cold-water-meditation and beer-and-a-book instead.

I must admit that my beer drinking capabilities are down the drain, my push press is way better...

Evening
Prep

Qigong

Practice
30 min of alternating
Snatch @24kg x 1 x 3​

BB armbar @12kg x 3 - L only

Notes
  • Snatch technique: I feel the drop getting more controlled. I don't have to grip the bell on the drop and not feeling it sliding out. I do need to pay more attention on L on later sets. The last rep (maybe 2nd rep as well) on last couple of sets on L were sub par. I felt my left trap getting to involved in the bottom of the drop. Don't know if it is a bad drop by itself, not enough linkage between the hips and arm leading to some sort of compensation in the lockout that I feel in the drop, or something else. Since the other sets on L were fine I will get some more rest and focus next session. If I'll feel the things getting compromised and can't be solved with attention to detail I will go down to the 20kg and work on it there. Armbars at the end of the session were to reset my left side.

Morning

Some OS resets while teaching at the beach

Noon - bouldering
General work

Evening - loaded gait / balance
Some qigong
Collecting 11 min of BU carry @16kg x 10m - one run each side @20kg in the middle
Hindu headstands on rest periods​
Club swings

Evening

OS flow
BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3

Collecting 5:45 min of waiter carry @28kg x 10m - to OH by bent press, once each side by push press
Club swing on rest periods

Started late so did another loaded gait session.

Morning prep

Qigong
Club swings

Noon - boudering
V3 and V4 work

Evening
Some OS resets

Morning prep

OS resets

Evening
Prep

BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3

Practice
30 min of alternating
Gada swing @5.5kg x ~10 hands
{Long push press , push press} @24kg+20kg x 1 - alternating LPP and PP every two repeats

Morning

Qigong
Club swings

Afternoon - balance
12 min of ~continues alternating
Fake Gar Nal bethak @40kg x 3
Dand x 3​

I used to love stance training!
I would do 12 min of "Holding the Ball" every morning, but I found that over time it led my hip flexors to tighten up (during the day I would notice this, and stretching was only a temporary relief).posture-de-l-arbre-ou-tenir-le-ballon-zhan-zhuang.jpg
(This is the stance I did...)

How do you offset the hip tightness that comes from the tissues changing their normal resting lengths?

I would love to start this again, as it's super relaxing mentally.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom