all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
OS resets:
I started using these allot lately for several time throughout the day. I really like both the way I feel after doing them and stable results they seem to give me (the affect seems to last much longer than standard mobility drills).

It seems like the OS stuff is a big bunch of self-limiting exercise which are simultaneously corrective drills.

I do some long sessions some days and they doesn't seems to be very taxing. Actually when I do mini-sessions throughout the day I feel sharper and more focused in my strength practice sessions. The last two strength training days I neglected a bit the OS sessions and felt not as focused and smooth. I'm not saying it's the only reason but that I should monitor it. Resets also seem to calm my mind (I know, I shouldn't be surprised...)

OS Performance:
Read the book, probably going to add those when I'm done with the Simple Strength 5-days a week deadlifts.

Morning:

Beach volleyball, long session. Movement felt great. OS resets at the beach before the matches.

Bent Power:
Unscheduled rest.

Tired. I was at the beach for almost 8 hour straight today, great weather. 3 - 4 hour playing, rest of time hanging out and doing allllot of OS resets and sanx. Lifting today feels counter-productive. I will eat allot and have a good night sleep and will lift tomorrow.

Patience :)

OS notes:
As I said, I did allot of OS staff today, even showed some rocking & rolling to a guy who told me that I inspire him to move more. Doing these baby games are fun, why do we ever grow up?

It reminds me of George Bernard Shaw quote:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing"
f1567b49c17b19fba0012d5d7a25fdbb.jpg

Morning:

Beach volleyball

Bent Power:
Semi-sumo deadlift
@64kg x 5 - fast
@84kg x 3 - fast
@94kg x 2 - almost as fast
Bent press
@20kg x 2 x (1 + 1)
@24kg x 1 + 1 - Easy on left-side, shaky on the right side
@20kg x 2 x (1 + 1)
@24kg x 1 + 1 - Easy on left-side, much smoother on the right side
@20kg x 2 x (1 + 1)​

End of 2-week block

Notes:
Bent press - added 24kg today although not planned, but the first two single @20kg felt very-easy so I took an opportunistic approach (very ES of me :) ).

Thoughts of future programming

Whole body movement

Finished two 2-week EES semi-sumo deadlift blocks separated by 2 weeks of PM (started the log at day 1 of the last block). The last block felt a little weaker (and slower) at times, not a "bad" block, just a little off. I have been playing much more BVB the last couple of weeks and still haven't figured out exactly how to account for the added volume. I reduced my 5s weight from 74kg to 64kg to try to account for the added stress from playing.

I also though it might be the added bent press, which also kind of a whole-body-strength-movement as well (I know Easy Strength list it in the half-body grinds), but I always feel great after those...

Maybe standard 2-3 times a week ES is more suitable for me at the moment... I'll have a week or two of PM to think about it an review my logs more in depth.

EDIT:
Maybe I don't eat enough to support 5-day a week training???

Bent press

I haven't figured out if it is a while-body-strength-movement or a kind-of press. At this point it seems most of my effort is perceiving, understanding, and performing the movement. More of a brain-lift than a body-lift. I feel I learn allot from it so I'm gonna keep it for now and do Bent & Sinister from Taming the Bent Press as my PM.

Last edited:
Maybe I don't eat enough to support 5-day a week training???

Certainly something to look into.

This has been true for me several times. A couple of times back when I was running and trying to lose weight and most recently with my S&S - I was trying to cut 500 calories per day plus the exercise calories burned. Now I no longer try to cut the 500 calories and just let the exercise take care of the weight loss. I feel much better, most of the time, and the weight is still coming off - just a little more slowly - I'm fine with that.

Certainly something to look into.

This has been true for me several times. A couple of times back when I was running and trying to lose weight and most recently with my S&S - I was trying to cut 500 calories per day plus the exercise calories burned. Now I no longer try to cut the 500 calories and just let the exercise take care of the weight loss. I feel much better, most of the time, and the weight is still coming off - just a little more slowly - I'm fine with that.

I weighted myself couple of days ago. I dropped around 1.5 - 2 kg the last month without attempting to lose weight (and 70kg over 175cm is far from overweight) so I definitely haven't been eating enough.

I also haven't had my "bag-o-nuts" around (a plastic bag with around 300grams of nut and almonds). Every time I feel weak / tired / off last year I can trace it to "mmm... haven't been eating nuts lately... :confused:". And that's allot of calories and fats and staff... Gonna get one again and make sure I eat well...

26-27.10.2016
Rest.
Some OS resets, couple of wounds of goblet squats & handstand practice and other spices.
Some beach volleyball matches in the rain yesterday.

Warm up

OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 3
Armbar (bent) @20kg x 1 + 1

Bent & Sinister
Easing in to the program

Bent press @(20kg , 20kg , 24kg , 24kg , 20kg , 20kg) x 1 + 1
Snatch @20kg x 2 x 8 , @24 x 2 x 8 , @20kg x 5 + 5 , @20kg x 6 x 8

Notes:
Still trying to get better with getting under the jerk. Nothing teaches efficiency like fatigue; my dip still sucks so I end up pressing more than I should until the latter sets when fatigue forces me into better technique.
  • I had better hip "snap" on overall sequencing at the latter sets since I couldn't compensate with an aggressive high-pull. This actually lead to higher movement quality in the last sets and less fatigue...
  • In a second thought I did the same in the 24kg sets. If you're not to stupid you know when is the time to make quality a priority...
  • Segmental rolling cool down

Morning
Light BVB matches + OS resets and crawling between matches

Warm up
OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 3
Bent armbar @20kg x 1 + 1
Suitcase carry @24kg x 1/2 + 1/2

Bent & Sinister
Bent press @(20kg , 20kg , 24kg , 24kg , 24kg , 20kg , 20kg) x 1 + 1
No swings/snatches today - yard work + time constraints

Notes
I had about 15 minutes to practice so I just warmed up and bent pressed. The grooved felt little bit off with comparison to yesterday, probably because I mentally-rushed the reps. No need for concern at the moment. Monitor for future occurrences.

4 supersets:
Wall supported handstand pushup x 2 + unsupported balancing
Loaded carry
  • set 1, 2 - dbl rack carry @24kg + 20kg
  • set 3, 4 - offset carry (waiter + suitcase) @20kg(W) + 32kg(S)

Warm up
OS resets
Goblet Squat @20kg x 5
Armbar(bent) @20kg x 1 + 1

Bent & Sinister
Bent press
@20kg x 2 x (1 + 1)
@24kg x 2 x (1 + 1)
@20kg x 2 x (1 + 1)
@24kg x 2 x (1 + 1)
@20kg x 2 x (1 + 1)​

1-arm swing (alternating each set)
@24kg x 2 x 10
@32kg x 2 x 10
@24kg x 6 x 10
Notes
  • Bent press - groove getting back on tracks. Videoed todays session from more angles. Found some more things to work on in foot placement and hinge movement. Corrected my recovery fault, felt good.
  • Swings - It's been a while since I did 100 swings in a session, forgot the grip demands... lost some grip strength.

Keep up the good work! Always enjoy checking in on your training Shahaf - since I saw you were a beach volleyball player / coach. My daughter has played indoor volleyball for the past 5-6 years - I find the sport fascinating - both indoor and beach.

Thanks @Bonkin! Keep your work towards Simple! I saw you're almost at the TGU time standards with the 24kg.
Beach volleyball is what "drove" me to strength training... What position does you daughter play? T

Slowly but surely, I'll get there. My daughter has played all positions over the years, but has been mostly a setter the last 2-3 years. She plays some beach in the summertime to keep up her fitness. She is in her senior year of high school and hoping to play in college.

Warm up
OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 3
Bent armar @20kg x 1 + 1

Bent & Sinister
Bent press
@20kg x 2 x (1 + 1)
@24kg x 3 x (1 + 1)
@20kg x 1 x (1 + 1)
@24kg x 2 x (1 + 1)
@20kg x 2 x (1 + 1)​

Harder than yesterday. These 24kg realy add up.

1-arm swing (alternating each set)
@24kg x 2 x 10
@32kg x 2 x 10
@24kg x 6 x 10​

Easier than yesterday

Notes
Bent press "grooving" - It's good thing that I video allot, but I need make sure I'm not chasing phantom erros and trying to correct faults that are not there... my groove felt good yesterday, but, from some reason, I over experimented today with foot position, which took allot of energy and focus, and actualy hurt my groove. Not good. All I realy had to correct was making sure I have enough external rotation torque on the off-leg...

For fututre reference:
Precieve the movement, react accordingly throughout. Think. Readjust when needed. Only confirm by video.

Last edited:
Interesting notes on the bent press. I was just thinking about the bent press yesterday, after practicing with light weight. Haven't found the groove. Still feels awkward as h#ll. So I thought, I can take one of two approaches, A) go back and read "Taming the Bent Press" again and try to hit all the points, or B) just do what comes naturally and try to find something that works for me. I guess I'll hit the book and see if there are any big points I'm missing, then go with plan B. Really not fond of this lift, yet...

@Anna C , I agree with your A to B completely.

I cleared all the anchor points in Taming... I only ignored part of them being, well, anchors...

Attempting to correct non-existing faults consumes tons of metal energy.

No need to mess up a good groove and proper form ;)

Warm up
OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
Bent armar @20kg x 1 + 1

Bent & Sinister
Bent press
@20kg x 7 x (1 + 1)​

Light day. Felt good.

Swing - Rest. Time constraints.

Instead I did:
Dan John's Dbl Clean & Squat continues ladders @20kg + 16kg x up to rang 3

(1 clean, 1 squat, 2 cleans, 2 squtas, etc. without putting the bells down)
Not fun.

Bent & Sinister

Rest.

Spice
5 rounds of handstand practice, GTG in around 3 hours
  • first 3 rounds - added goblet squat @32kg x 5
  • I have a problem with the kick up, not smooth and balanced enough, need work

4-5.11.2016
Rest. Life had different plans for me than strength practice (coaching, beer, beach volleyball tournament, hamburgers & beer...). Fun weekend :)

Warm up

Standard (with longer reset session)

Bent & Sinister
Bent press
@20kg x 2 x (1 + 1)
@24kg x 3 x (1 + 1)
@20kg x 2 x (1 + 1)
@24kg x 3 x (1 + 1)​

Good session. Deliberately slowed down the movement and were more mindful. Planning (far) ahead for next weight increase.

Snatch
@20kg x 2 x 8
@20kg + 16kg x 2 x 3 (double snatch)
@20kg x 2 x 8
@20kg + 16kg x 2 x 5 (double snatch)
@20kg x 2 x 8
1-arm felt very smooth. First time double snatch.
Notes
  • After 3 straight days without strength practice I felt this morning a little... not greased enough
  • Did a little longer session of reset in the warm up, felt ready to train!
  • Double snatch - Totally different than double-anything-else I've done. While the doubles were fine it to early for me to work them in, need the master the 1-arm before. No need to hurry. The 1-arms felt super-smooth after them ;)
EDIT: Do not shop for food after training!! Bad, bad, bad idea!

Last edited:
So apparently there are two ways to do double snatches -- 1) as a half-snatch (snatch up, lower to rack, drop into hinge, repeat), or 2) a full snatch. I've tried both and I like the full snatch, but I see that for SFG II it is a half snatch. Which are you doing and do you find an advantage to either of these? I do find that it's a hell of a weight dropping into the hinge on a full double snatch... but if you're ready for it, it can work well.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom