all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The first rep was a full snatch, the second was a half-snatch ;)

I did mostly half-snatch, saw it as well on the SFGII video.

Since I did it as challenge set and not quite working it in yet the half-snatch let me concentrate more on the lockout. The double snatch really has a much narrower groove than the 1-arm, no room for realigning your body for lockout. That's what I liked the most about it, and why it is shelved for now.

Warm up

Standard

Bent & Sinister
Bent press
@20kg x 1 x (1 + 1)
@24kg x 4 x (1 + 1)
@20kg x 1 x (1 + 1)​

Fine session. See notes

1-arm swing
@20kg x 10+10
Deload. See notes

Notes
  • Yesterday session was heavy on the bent press and challenging with the double snatch, and beach volleyball tournament is not really rest.
  • I could have done more today but felt I need to back off a bit. Would take a real rest day tomorrow.

Last edited:
Rest. Just some OS resets

Warm up

Standard

Bent & Sinister
Bent press
@20kg x 2 x (1 + 1)
@24kg x 5 x (1 + 1)
@20kg x 1 x (1 + 1)
@24kg x 2 x (1 + 1)​

Hard - effort of 8-9 of 10

1-arm swing
@24kg x 2 x 10
@32kg x 2 x 10
@24kg x 2 x 10
@32kg x 2 x 10
@24kg x 2 x 10​

Moderate / hard - effort of 8 of 10

Notes
  • Bent press - 5 straight sets @24kg just happened. I kept them until I felt a need for a deload set to keep the quality. Should back of a bit to 7-8 of 10 for most days a go hard for 1-2 days a week. Should video again to verify groove.
  • Swings - 24kg is easy to do and to recover from, 32kg is little less easy (grip is the weak link), but hard to recover from. Keeping patience and quality reps would tame the 32kg eventually ;).

Oh! one more thing about the bent press groove...

Due to an old (3 years ago) ski injury I have a torn labrum and an accompanied dislocated bicep tendon in my right shoulder. I used to think I am completely rehabilitated and have full ROM and control on my right shoulder.

Than I started bent pressing...

In about 15 seconds I learned the hard way that I probably had some compensation hiding somewhere (somewhere is the thoracic spine) and felt my bicep tendon acting out and "clicking" around there. I took OS reset back more seriously along with some stuff from the FMS exercise book. When bent pressing I focused on grooving the bent press well.

3 weeks later, I'm going over my recent log post and think "hey! didn't I use have a this weird bicep thingy in my right shoulder not long ago??"

Well, flowing Taming the Bent Press technical instructions to the letter and focusing on practicing the movement did it's thing :)

Thanks @Iron Tamer!

The thing I like most about the bent press is the inability to hide things. It will expose your weaknesses!

Rest. Steak dinner at a friend house (and lamb chops and hamburgers and beer).

Warm up

Standard

Bent & Sinister
Bent press
@20kg x 2 x (1 + 1)
@24kg x 2 x (1 + 1)
@20kg x 2 x (1 + 1)
@24kg x 2 x (1 + 1)
@20kg x 2 x (1 + 1)​

Moderate effort - 7 of 10. Felt good. Video for groove "confirmation" (will watch tomorrow).

1-arm swing
@24kg x 10 x 10​

Moderate effort - 6-7 of 10. The 24kg are easy, the volume not, I think mostly mentally...

Notes
  • Last couple of weeks I almost haven't played beach volleyball. No particular reason. It makes me feel less energetic and focused, both in training and in general. And at beach I also do allot of resets, and I probably miss that too...
  • Due to life I had to many off days lately. But everything was good stuff, so no worries :)
  • Since I monitor and keep good quality of movement, and somehow mostly succeed at being patient more strength will eventually follow
  • Need to go back go moving first thing in the morning, kind let it slip from time to time lately.
Programing
I am pretty much done (tomorrow last day) with 2-week cycle of Bent & Sinister and 4+ weeks of bent pressing (started at 16kg, now at 7 singles with 24kg).

Next week I start an 8 week acro-yoga introductory class and going back (after 2 years) to train at beach volleyball with a great coach. I'll scale down strength training to ~3 sessions a week with lower average intensity (no more than one high intensity session a week) for the first couple of weeks to keep me focused and see how things add up. After two weeks I'll reassess.

Haven't decided if my "big pull" for these two weeks will be barbell deadlift (ES rule-of-ten) or keep swinging. Will probably decide spontaneously on Monday. Keeping the bent press for now.

Morning

Beach volleyball, playing

Late morning - noon
Beach volleyball, coaching

Afternoon
Late lunch and beer

Evening

Warm up

OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
Half-kneeling halos @20kg x 5 + 5
Bent armbar @20kg x 1 + 1
BU clean @16kg x 3 + 3
BU rack carry (after last clean each side) @16kg x 1 + 1

Bent & Sinister
Bent press
@20kg x 2 x (1 + 1)
@24kg x 1 + 1
@20kg x 2 x (1 + 1)​

Felt weak and uncoordinated enough. First time bent pressing make me tight and feel less good after than before... maybe the need for longer warm up should have cued me. Aborted the session after the 5th single.

Swings

Aborted due the uncoordinated feeling during the bent press.

Notes
  • Mark in red in the real notebook log. If happens again track back and look for a pattern.
  • Maybe too much mental fatigue from long day... coaching bvb takes much more from me than regular-day-time job... See previous note.

Morning

Goblet squat @20kg x 5
Half-kneeling halo @20kg x 5 + 5
bent armbar @20kg x 1 + 1
BU clean @16kg x 3 + 3
BU carry @16kg x <1 + <1

Evening
Bent press @16kg x 4 x (1 + 1)

Acroyoga beginners class x 2 hours
Fun, entertaining, challenging - both new skills and working in tandem with 'less tied' people ('tied' in the OS meaning)
1st lesson of 8, looking forward for the next one​

Morning

Goblet squat @20kg x 3
Half-kneeling halo @20kg x 3 + 3
bent armbar @20kg x 1 + 1
BU clean @16kg x 3 + 3
Suitcase carry @32kg x 1/2 + 1/2

Evening

Warmup
OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
Bent press @16kg x 1 + 1

Dan John's Armor Building Complex
1 clean + 3 press + 2 front squat - continues with 2 bells
@20kg + 16kg x 2 , 1 , 1 , 1 , 1 , 1​

Felt great. Thought about continuing some more and than realized I have done 7 cleans + 21 presses + 14 squats. 21 double presses for me is twice than I ever did before in a session. When I did 5 x 2 in a session it was hard, 7 x 3 not so much today. Bent press WTH??

Desert
Farmer carry @60kg x 1
Suitcase carry @36kg x 1 + 1
"Goblet" carry @32kg x 1 (not quite goblet, held it with hands under the bell)

Notes
  • Programing - Decided on a tonic week, light BtP + Armor Building complex.
  • Armor Building Complex - First set was 2 consecutive complexes. Last press was hard and shaky, decided to work in single complexes the rest of the way. It's challenging enough for me as it is.
  • Forgot to time the complex work, should do that in the future and compress the time
  • I think @natewhite39 planted the seed for the armor building complex with his Grad workout log entery

Morning

OS resets + loaded carries

Evening - Beach volleyball session
10 min OS resets for warm up. Than around 5 sets, we all played not up to par...

@natewhite39 liked the previous split-session so I decided to do it again... ;)

Morning
OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
Half-kneeling halos @20kg x 5 + 5
BU clean @16kg x 5 + 5
BU carry @16kg x 1/2 + 1/2 (after each side cleans)

Evening

Warmup
OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
Bent press @16kg x 3 x (1 + 1)

Dan John's Armor Building Complex
1 clean + 3 press + 2 front squat - continues with 2 bells
@20kg + 16kg x 8 min / EMOM​

EMOM is just right, around 1:1 work-rest ratio (I do a distinct pause in the rack before each press/squat).

Desert
Bent press @16kg x 2 + 2

Technical lift as a desert is a dumb idea. 16kg is light and I felt like trying doubles. No harm done, but still a dumb idea. Should stay with loaded carries for added volume...

Hungry! Going to eat.

Morning

Baby crawl at the beach x 10 min net (16 min total)
Adding up ~2 min crawls and resting every time I had to mouth breathe​

I planned to that for a while, finally did! Baby crawling in deep sand is challenging. Feels like I'm dragging the entire beach with my knees (which I pretty much did ;)).

Good session, actually felt myself getting tied together...

Evening

Clean @24kg x 2 x 1 + 1
Clean @32kg x 1 + 1
Bent press @16kg x 1 + 1
Clean @32kg x 1 + 1
Bent press @16kg x 1 + 1
Clean @32kg x 1 + 1
Bent press @20kg 3 x 1 + 1

Notes (yeah, red, bad)
I don't like this session, just cluttered stuff together. Not mindful, just went through the motions instead of practicing them. I got nothing out this session so rest would have been a better use of my time...

I decided on a tonic week, so I just need to stay with that instead of wiggling in some half-baked pseudo-practice session which, at best, gives me nothing back.

Last edited:
@Shahaf Levin You learned what doesn't work for you, that's good and is a valuable lesson for next time. Boom!

PS: The crawling in the morning was an excellent choice, sucks in the moment but pays dividends later.

@Shahaf Levin You learned what doesn't work for you, that's good and is a valuable lesson for next time. Boom!

PS: The crawling in the morning was an excellent choice, sucks in the moment but pays dividends later.

Sure did, and definitely valuable :)
Sometimes we have to learn from our own experience... An old friend once told it Ok to make mistakes, just don't repeat the ones you have already done. He told me that in a (really) short beach volleyball match until 11, we were down 2:10 and won 12:10. So as long as I learn from these lessons...

And yeah, morning crawling sure pays. I'm glad I finally did it and will keep it. Two valuable lessons in one day ;)

Morning

OS resets
Beach volleyball practice (~1.5 hrs)

I waited for friends at the beach so used time for a long OS resets session (~30 min). Rocking & Rolling (and playing around)

Afternoon
Coaching beach volleyball (~1.5 hrs)

Evening (planned , EDIT: done)
Hamburgers and beer

Last edited:
Morning

Beach volleyball (~3 hrd)

Afternoon
OS resets session

Evening

OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 3
Bent press @20kg x 4 x (1 + 1)

Acroyoga beginners class x 2 hours
First lesson was getting into two poses (airplane and chair), this time we learned a new pose (folded leaf) a transitioning between airplane and chair. Transitioning is obviously way more challenging than getting into poses...
lesson 2 of 8​

Notes
  • Working the bent press back in

Morning

Beach volleyball (~1.5 hrs). Low quality movement and focus, general awkwardness. Haven't done my morning routine (OS and/or KB movements) the last several days. Definitely feels less fluid.

Evening

Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squats @20kg x 3
Half kneeling halos @20kg x 3 + 3
Bent armbar @20kg x 1 + 2 (L/R)

Bent & Sinister
Bent press
@20kg x 7 x (1 + 1)​

Light / moderate - Effort of 6-7 of 10. Groove just a little rusty at the first 2-3 reps, good afterwards.

Snatch
@20kg x 10 x 8​

Moderate - Effort of 7 of 10. Felt good.

Cooldown
Traps and lats felt a little tight around 5 min after the session so did some neck nods, head rolling and rocking to loose everything.

Notes
  • Programing: 2 more weeks of Bent & Sinister. It make me feel good (when I'm not pushing to hard and try to go heavier every day).
  • Snatch: I almost forgot how much demand snatches put on grip, lats and traps. Movement felt good throughout.
  • I'm kind of stack with 8 reps per set (both 20kg and 24kg). At rep 7 I start to feel my rotator cuff and grip getting tired, more at 8. Don't go higher on reps to not over push it. Should work on my high-pull mechanics, I think I'm not taming the arc enough on the left side (video to confirm).
  • Bent press: I'm pretty sure I can feel myself getting smarter when bent pressing... if not than definitely more observant ;)

Morning grease

OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 3
HK halos @20kg x 5 + 5
BU clean @16kg x 3 + 3
BU carry @16kg x 1 + 1

Evening

Movement prep

OS resets - long session - felt tight from being deskbound
Goblet squat @20kg x 5

Bent & Sinister
Bent press
@20kg x 1 + 1
@24kg x 9 x (1 + 1)​

Moderate + - Effort of 8 of 10. Groove felt sharp. Yesterday rust removal session definitely paid off.

Double swing
@20kg + 16kg x 2 x 10
Time constraints. Will try to do a proper swing session tomorrow morning.

Notes
  • Bent press: Why the hell didn't I use the "wedging" cue before today????? II took my bent press a step forward just by thinking "WEDGE!"

24 - 25.11.2016
Trip from work. Rest and some OS resets.

Too much alcohol consumption the last 3 days.
Coaching BVB in the afternoon.

Loaded carries in the evening:
Farmer carry @60kg x 1
BU carry @16kg x 1 + 1
Dbl rack carry @28kg + 24kg x 2
Suitcase carry @36kg x 1 + 1

Morning - Early

30+ minutes of OS resets and playing-for-strength at the beach

Morning
Beach volleyball (~2.5 hrs)

Noon
20 minutes of OS resets and playing-for-strength at the beach

Evening
Movement prep sequence

Goblet squats @20kg x 5
HK halos @20kg x 5 + 5
BU clean @20kg x 3 + 3 (L - mediocre, R - sharp)
Waiter carry @24kg x 1 + 1

Notes
  • Felt that 50+ minutes of OS work + 2.5 hrs BVB + movement prep is enough for today. Back to B&S tomorrow.
  • BU clean - left side was wobbly with 20kg (sharp with 16kg), should test starting on the strong side like with correctives. If does not work back to 16kg.

Last edited:

Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 5

Bent & Sinister
Bent press
@20kg x 1 x (1 + 1)
@24kg x 2 x (1 + 1)
@20kg x 1 x (1 + 1)
@24kg x 2 x (1 + 1)
Moderate - Effort of 6-7 of 10

Snatch
@16kg x 2 x 10
@20kg x 2 x 10 , 2 x 8​

Moderate - Effort of 6-7 of 10

Notes
  • Snatch: concentrated on the high-pull, felt better and broke the 8 rep barrier on the left side.
  • General: I have Acroyoga lesson tonight, so deliberately moderate day. Putting the work in and accumulating precious quality volume.
Edit: Acroyoga lesson (3 of 8)
Today was "flyer on their back day". We learned Whale and Back-balance poses and transitioning from Whale to Chair

Last edited:
Morning grease

OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
HK halos @20kg x 3 + 3
BU clean @16kg x 2 x (3 + 3)

Evening
Dbl rack carry @28kg + 24kg x 4
Farmer carry @60kg x 2
BU hold @20kg x 10 breaths + 10 breaths
Farmer carry @60kg x 2
BU hold @20kg x 10 breaths + 10 breaths

Came home late and hungry. I can't focus on high-skill drills when hungry (bent press) so went for the low skill of loaded carries.

Evening

Movement prep

OS resets
Goblet squat @20kg x 5
Bent armbar @20kg x 1 + 2 (L/R)

Bent & Sinister
Bent press
@20kg x 1 x (1 + 1)
@24kg x 2 x (1 + 1)
@28kg x 1 x (1 + 1) - moderate
@24kg x 5 x (1 + 1)​

Moderate + - Effort of 8 of 10.

Notes
  • Bent press: Could do another set with the 28kg but my right scapula-thoracic mobility didn't felt exactly as I wanted, and I was on compressed time, so decided to stay with the 24kg the rest of the session.
  • Time management: Again (3rd week in a row) I have time constraints on Tuesdays that make me miss the swing session and compress rest on the BtP. Should just take days like this off or do some variety work.
  • Mindful practice: Practicing (the bent press) with focus and careful attention to the groove, and steadily collecting quality volume, makes the weight increase very smooth. I don't feel a need to pay extra attention with new heavier weight. I just do what I always do and the bell goes up.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom