all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Morning session
OS resets
Cook @16kg

Was a little tired from the lifting and BVB last night, so no lifting today.

Morning session

OS resets

Bent & Sinister - afternoon
Movement prep

Tall and half kneeling club work (with beer bottles)
Club slams and swings (with beer bottles)

Practice

Two-hands anyhow @28kg + 12kg x 16 x 1

One-hand swing @24kg x 10 x 6
  • Swings: Felt good. Last days of sets 5 were easy, decided to add rep after the rest day and to drop back to 5 reps when I fell my explosiveness is about to be compromised. Since that feeling never came I kept the sets of 6 throughout.
  • Ballistics in general: One of the things I love about KB ballistics is that once you are proficient you don't need to over think the weight so much, if you want to up the intensity you can just swing harder. I could have probably done the same session with the 32kg, but I just spiked my heels hard in the ground and concentrated on minimizing the time of the up swing (turnaround to plank) and maximizing plank time. Intensity dial was around 8-9. Should remember to use the Push band, it's interesting data...

Morning session
Prep

OS resets
Leopard crawl x 10m + 5m

Practice
Two-hand swing @40kg x 6 x 6

Noon (at work)
Club swinging

Bent & Sinister - night
Movement prep

Tall and half kneeling club work
Club slams and swings

Practice
Two-hands anyhow @28kg + 12kg x 4 x 1 , 2 x 2 , 2 x 1 , 2 x (1 + 3 presses)
  • Swings in the morning: Felt a little less powerful than usual, not weak, just a little... less... Might be the morning, might be the explosive session 14 hours earlier...
  • 2HA variations: These (doubles and multiple presses) are not for fun. They actually serve a training purpose, thought I should log it for when I look for reasons next time I mine my log.
    • Doubles: Got the idea from the multiple get-ups threads. If you have leaks you might succeed in muscling the weight, but more often then not you will find the second rep much more difficult (impossible?). Somewhat of a certificate that you own the weight. Plus, @Pavel Macek does them, so they deserve attention.
    • Multiple presses: Making sure the heavy bell (BtP bell) is anchored properly and the body is zipped by introducing more movement at the off-hand with a light load. The 12kg is very light as a pressing bell and is originally there to introduce challenge to the recovery phase of the bent press, both from coordination and load points of view.

Felt a bit off, so rest day, just some OS and clubs. It's the first cold* week this year so my body probably had to adapt a little.

*Cold, of course, is relative... ~60 degF

Morning session

OS resets - home
Some more OS at the beach
Beach volleyball, 6 sets at moderate-high level. Inconsistent focus. Good movement.

Noon
Nap

Bent & Sinister - evening
Movement prep

OS birddog rotations
Club work - the usual sequence

Practice
Two-hands anyhow @32kg + 12kg x 16 x 1 (sets 7 and 8 - 1 + 3 presses)
  • Lesson of the day: Active negatives are good. However, in long session with heavier weight focusing on them to much latter in the session might take to much energy.
  • Swings: Allot of hip hinging on the sand, so opted with no swings instead of a low volume session.
[EDIT: movement prep and set 7 & 8 description added]

Last edited:
Morning session

OS resets

Noon
Nap - cold weather compels me...

Movement prep

OS birddog rotations

Practice
Two-hands anyhow @32kg + 12kg x 10 x 1

One-hand swing @24kg x 10 x 6
  • Swings - grip: Left side felt less explosive, Push band data shows it explicitly. Reason: my left forearm was a little sore (I banged it working with the 36kg BtP and it acts up from time to time) so grip felt less secure. Therefore CNS inhibits power. I crushed grip (instead of hook) on couple of sets to see if it is indeed the case, the power was higher on those sets. Should do some smashing on my left forearm next time if it's sore. Session was good, but some smashing prior would make it better. Or just switch to THS for that session...
  • Swings - hinge: Incorporating @Rif's athletic hip hinge. Concentrating in my left grip took some brain power, but I will make sure to give it some more attention. I think "structurally" it's what I do, but cueing the jump position is probably better "functional way" to look at it.
  • Swings - shoulder packing: I videoed my swings. Looks good, but I need some more packing on setup. Packing looks consistent throughout the movement, just starting a little less than optimal. I noticed mostly because I remember @Anna C pointing on some thread a while back. So thanks @Anna C :)

Last edited:
Noon session

Beach volleyball. Many sets, moderate - high level.
  • General movement and body control: Very good.
  • Power generation: Good. Kept in mind @Rif's athletic hip hinge. Last night session helped ingraining it. That led to very good jumping.
    • Attacked easily over block and put my hands on many balls on my block.
    • Had my hands on to many block that I couldn't kill. Hand didn't quite zipped overhead. I assume that when I'll go for heavier snatches (instead of light over-speed eccentrics) it will get better. Jerks will work as well.
    • Still, should do more work on timing my approach and looseness and confidence in the power attacks.
  • Mental focus: Better than last time, still not back up to my par. Since I am in period with many transitions in my life right now I will cut me some slack on that one for a while.
  • Overall: Winter noon matches are great! :)
Lifting
Used up allot of energy, both physical, neurological and mental, so no lifting. Will do some OS and maybe club work in the evening.

Morning session

OS resets
Cook @20kg

Movement prep

OS birddog rotations

Practice
Two-hands anyhow @32kg + 12kg x 4 x 1 , 2 x 2 , 4 x 1

Two-hand swing @40kg x 5 x 6

• 2HA, sets of 2: Session started well, both from feel and focus, went downhill on the attempts for sets of 2 in the 2HA. The left side I couldn't lockout the 2nd rep, re-cleaned and succeeded (right side was fine). The problem is it drained me, mostly from focus point of view. The dice rolled on 16 sets, but I scaled it down to 10 after the fail. However, I failed the last single on L and did it again after some rest - that was all mental/focus fail. Bottom line: first failed lift in a loooong time. The sets of 2 did their thing and found a leak in tension, probably when going back to the rack position, maybe mental leak. Tomorrow will be either day of or forced day of 4 sets.
  • Swings: The failed lift took her toll on the first couple of sets. Back in full stride on sets 4 and 5, cut the session there.
  • Overal: A bad lifting day, a good learning day...

Morning session

OS resets
Leopard crawling x 10m + 5m + 5m (F + B + F)

Programing
Strength lift back to bent press proper. Found a leak yesterday, should be fixed with the basic movement and not a variation (2HA).

Movement prep
OS birddog rotations - added ipsilateral work

Practice
Bent press@32kg x 4 x 1

Snatch
@24kg x 2 x 5
@16kg x 2 x 5
@24kg x 2 x 5
@16kg x 2 x 5​

Double snatch @8kg + 8kg x 5 Just to see how it is

• Bent press: Good groove. Feel like I am missing a small corner in my thoracic rotation, will add SOS get ups and armbars to tomorrows prep and evaluate. Could be contributing to yesterdays failed lift...
  • Snatch: Heavy snatches have an entire different feel than OSE. The OSE actually helps to lock the hips faster. Good enough for first heavier snatches in a long time.

28.11.2017 - continued
Forgot to log it yesterday

Beach volleyball practice - evening
1:30 hrs. Sideout with "forced" hit selection (each set the coach decides on one or two hits allowed). Very good practice. Lost some focus due to fatigue towards the end. Lots of jumping.

Night session
Hamburgers & beer. Very good session.

Morning session

OS resets

Movement prep
OS birddog rotations
SOS get up @16kg x 2 + 2

Practice
Bent press@32kg x 10 x 1
(Bent armbar @BU 8kg x 2 - L only after first set)

One-hand swing @24kg x 2 x 6 , 6 + 6 , 3 + 3 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 2
  • Bent press: Back in groove. First set was not smooth so added the armbar. Other than that seems the SOS GU helped.
  • Swing: Good groove, good power, left felt up to par with right. Short time led to the airborne hand switches. The 6 + 6 was explosive throughout, so one of the conclusions is that what limit the power is the ability to resist the rotational forces and not hip drive. Yeah, I know, not ground breaking news :) But it's nice to actually feel what you already know :)

Morning session

OS resets
Suitcase carry @40kg x 1 + 1

Movement prep
OS birddog rotations
SOS get up @16kg x 2 + 2
Brettzel bent armbar @BU 8kg x 3 + 3
Club Slam and swing

Practice
Bent press@32kg x 16 x 1

One-hand swing @24kg x 2 x 6 ,2 x 8 , 2 x 6
  • Movement prep: Added back SOS GU and armbars, groove was back to tight as ever. I don't know if the benefits are neurological, psychological or any other *gical. At least for now I don't care, whatever prep me for lifting better.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom