all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Morning prep

OS resets
Spider-Man crawl

Bouldering session - late morning
45 min, main focus was re-clearing V2 I have already done with better technique and confidence.

Beach volleyball - evening
1:45 hrs, mixed results due to my own focus problems - lightning was awful and I have hard time to focus when it's hard to see... Tor and me are usualy either both in focus or both out of focus... today was mostly both out

No lifting
Bouldering and time constraints

Morning prep
OS resets
Spider-Man crawl

Bouldering session - late noon

1:30 hrs, clearing a V2 I couldn't figure out last week on first attempt. Than mostly V3 work. At the second part after a short rest cleared another V2 I had trouble with last week on first attempt. Spending some time and solving a V3 - the last step was about concentration and confidence in my grip.

No lifting

Bouldering - tired

Morning prep
OS resets
Spider-Man crawl

Morning lifting
Movement prep

Goblet squat @32kg x 5

Practice
Two hand swing @40kg x 4 x 6

Bent press session - afternoon
Barbell bent press @30kg x 4 x 1 + 1

That was some speed lifting with no prep in less than 10 minutes

Beach volleyball practice - evening
1:30hrs, not the best one, moved beach due to lighting issues, than some net issues for later practice session...

Morning prep

OS resets
Spider-Man crawl

Bent & Sinister session - noon
Movement prep

Standing club work
SOS GU to BB armbar @BU 8kg x (1 + 3) + (1 + 3)
Goblet squat @32kg x 5

Practice
Snatch​
@16kg x 2 x 5
@24kg x 2 x 5
@16kg x 2 x 5​
One hand swing @40kg x 2 x 3

Barbell bent press @30kg x 10 x 1​
  • Snatch: Need to tame the arch better, should add some high-pulls back replacing the first sets.
  • Barbell bent press: Yesterday was rushed and had some imprecisions. Today was smooth and with much better precision. It all in the setup... As usually (for me) when introducing a new BtP weight in a Justa's singles manner the day of 10 lifts is the one when things settle in... I think there are some reasons: a. You have some practice and the weight feels more comfortable mentally (and emotionally) and b. When I know I head into a long session (yeah, I know 15 minutes is not really long) it helps me put the day aside and focus better... I should learn to do it without extrinsic motivation...

Snatch: Need to tame the arch better, should add some high-pulls back replacing the first sets
These things help me:
  • Hardcore ab and lat tightness (H.A.L.T.). Seriously tight. Really tight. No lazy lats allowed.
    • Keep the abs pulled up so they act on the pelvis, keeping your lower back in a healthy position
    • Keep the lats tight so the weight of the bell is sitting in the lats, not the shoulders
  • Grip the bell extra hard a moment before the hips absorb the load in the hinge, before they kick forward again. This makes it easy to keep the elbow straight, and makes it easier to land the bell in a cushion of lats at lockout.
When you get these 3 things down, the lift develops a wonderful rhythm.

These things help me:
  • Hardcore ab and lat tightness (H.A.L.T.). Seriously tight. Really tight. No lazy lats allowed.
    • Keep the abs pulled up so they act on the pelvis, keeping your lower back in a healthy position
    • Keep the lats tight so the weight of the bell is sitting in the lats, not the shoulders
  • Grip the bell extra hard a moment before the hips absorb the load in the hinge, before they kick forward again. This makes it easy to keep the elbow straight, and makes it easier to land the bell in a cushion of lats at lockout.
When you get these 3 things down, the lift develops a wonderful rhythm.

Thanks!
Although I already read all of this in your The Snatch manual and do them :) (well, except the grip thing which I forgot about). The H.A.L.T helped allot! I'll try add the grip timing as well...

The timing feels reasonable (definitely reasonable for the amount I snatch, most of my snatch practice is reading your log), so maybe I am taming the arc enough and just don't know it. I'll shoot a video from the side next time I snatch and upload it here for your watchful eye.

10.01.2018 - Addition
Bouldering session - evening

~1:30hrs, took it easy mostly by going on already cleared routes. Tried a V3 that goes down Friday, couldn't match at the top. Didn't felt like trying again since it was suppose to be a take-it-easy day on the wall.

Than GOOD bean soup, than shower, soon sleep... although I am still hungry...

Morning prep

OS resets
Spider-Man crawl

Beach volleyball - beach
~2 hrs, not focused enough, especially with Tor which I usually have great chemistry with... Better than Sunday but still not at par.

Bouldering session - noon
20 minutes... intended to be short, but was even more since I was fried...

No lifting
Was to taxed and had my retirement party at evening so couldn't rest and train at night.

Beach volleyball - morning
Prep

OS resets

Session
Long day. Low-moderate to low level. First part was 1:30, played better than yesterday, chemistry with Tor was there (I use chemistry with people I play allot with as a mental screen). Than many sporadic matches at lower level. Fun day :)

Bent press session - night
Movement prep

OS resets
SOS GU to armbar @BU 12kg x 1 + 1
BB armbar @BU 8kg x 3 + 3
Goblet squat @32kg x 5

Practice
Barbell bent press @30kg x 12 x 1

Beach volleyball session - morning
Movement prep

OS resets

Session
High-moderate level. First couple of sets I played on the left side and felt my brain was stuck and couldn't concentrate and perform well. Than Pavel (I have one of those as well) suggested we switch sides and I was back at my game level. Than just spend allot more hours at the beach cause it was sunny and warm. :)

Lesson of the day: When in doubt and/or struggling - play in your stronger side.

* did some Spider-Man crawling between sets

Bent press session - night
Movement prep

OS resets
SOS GU to BB armbar @BU 8kg x (1 + 3) + (1 + 3)
Goblet squat @32kg x 5

Practice
Barbell bent press @30kg x 14 x 1

• BB bent press groove: I tired some off-hand 2nd position today with mixed results. It does not feel comfortable for me as 1st position, probably due to lack of practice. Groove is smooth when I don't mess with it to much or over think it. I think my BB stance is a bit wider than KB, but since it works well and doesn't matter to anything I don't really care.
  • No swings/snatches last two sessions: Allot of playtime on the sand takes allot of energy and works the hinge allot. Will be back swinging tomorrow.

Morning prep

OS resets
Cook @16kg

Noon
Club work - standing

Bent & Sinister - afternoon
Movement prep

Spider-Man crawl
SOS GU to BB armbar @BU 8kg x (1 + 3) x (1 + 3)
Goblet squat @32kg x 5

Practice
Barbell bent press @30kg x 16 x 1

Snatch @16kg x 10 x 5
  • Snatch: Did not filmed snatches cause I did them I-go-U-go with a student I was teaching. She did OHS, I OSE snatch. Did however tried @The Nail grip cues with nice results. Should try them again when I am not teaching, will give more focus.
  • Bent press programing: 30kg introduction is over, will work on random volume next week (die roll 1 - 6 lifts, 2,3,4 - 10 lifts, 5,6 - 16 lifts). Will test my forearm with KB sometime along the week at one session.
  • Barbell bent press groove: Just validating yesterday observation. Stance with BB is definitely wider than KB, as a result the bend goes a little more to the side. Nothing actionable here, just observation. The cause to the different bend is it is easier for me to get a good BB setup to start the bend like that. With KB the rotation to the back rack enables me to keep narrower stance. With a bar I keep my forearm at the exact position I shouldered the bar and shift my legs to the start position - this leads in my case to a wider stance... might experiment with it next week to get narrower stance and see how it feels.

Morning prep

OS resets
Cook @20kg

Swing session - noon
Movement prep

Spider-Man crawl

Practice
One hand swing @36kg x 4 x 6

Bouldering session - late noon
~1:15hrs, prep on V0 and V1, some new V2, cleared a V3 debt from last week. Than another V2, failed V2, failed V3. Rushed to much with not enough rest.

Almost bent press session - night
Movement prep

OS resets
Club work
Spider-Man crawl

Felt that ROM is not where it use to be
Some more OS resets

Practice
Cook @16kg - instead of bent presses

• No bent press today: I could've lift after the cook drill, but felt I was not fresh enough, while I didn't had allot done on the wall it was rushed. Furthermore, while I took some days of lifting last week my last true rest day (nothing but OS resets) was 27 days ago. During this stretch I did 46 combined training session (lifting + beach volleyball + bouldering, excluding morning prep) - average of 1.7 sessions a day. I probably don't eat enough to fuel it (I do sleep enough). I am glad I have the sense to cancel lifting sessions when needed. Will have a true rest day someday... Maybe... Will see... ;)
  • Cook drill: Glad to be back, I feel my OH stability is not were it was when this was daily practice.
  • Rock Tax: Bouldering is, for me at least, a high neurological load. I don't mind canceling lifting session last week or two, but since I'm following high-frequency protocols I need to properly calculate the load of bouldering. If done high-freq I must lower intensity... just like lifting... loading and stressing the body is loading and stressing... and I want to stay on the eustress side... :)

Morning prep

OS resets
Cook @16kg

Movement prep

OS resets
Half & tall kneeling club work, club slams and swings
SOS GU @16kg x 2 + 2
BB armabr @BU 8kg x 3 + 3
Goblet squat @32kg x 5

Practice
Barbell bent press @30kg x 6 x 1

One hand swing @32kg x 6 x 6

Barbell bent press @30kg x 2 x 1

• Movement prep: After yesterdays off day I figured a more comprehensive prep is in order. Lately I usually go for minimum-dose prep. It worked well.
  • Split session: Just tried to sees how it feels. Maybe will be better with some more rest after the swings (the session was OT1:30M accept another 1:30 after the swings). This is a very comfortable pace.
  • Bent press volume: Planed to go for 4 lifts in the second series, but after the first one I remembered that my low volume session for this week is 6 lifts and there is no point in raising these numbers after I was tired for a few days. Patience. :)
Beach volleyball practice - evening
~1:30 hrs, movement drill with a tennis ball (Shaked), footwork drills (personally I think these are somewhat pointless), playing on half court + attack on 2 - very good self-limiting ex., movement to the ball, serve-reception-set drill (this a good one), sideouts. It was a good practice (in spite of some lighting issues).

Morning prep

OS resets
Cook @16kg

Bent & Sinister - evening
Movement prep

OS resets
Club work - standing
Spider-Man crawl

Practice
Barbell bent press @30kg x
2 x 1 + 1 - than remembered that it tires me for swings so...
12 x 1​

One hand swing @32kg x
4 x 6
1 x 6 + 6
4 x 6​

• Airborne hand switch: I did it with the 24kg to make sure the limiting factor is grip / anti-rotation mechanics. It actually also help with confidence, later sets were more explosive.
  • In-session ROM tests: Got these back in, specially to the prep part to find optimal dose.
  • General "restricted" ROM pre-prep: Lately I feel (and measure) that my ROM is restricted relative to my usual standard before the prep portion. Beside being caused by lack of food, accumulated fatigue or "acute fatigue" from too many OSE snatches on Sunday, I suspect the weather getting cold last week has something to do with it. The cold lead to general inhibition in my CNS. Other cold-related possibilities is more cloths lead to less general movement throughout the day or different sleeping position. I will check my log to see if I logged something similar last winter.

Additional observation from yesterday
Stupid as it maybe, yesterday I found out that one of the things that make it harder for me to swing heavy after bent presses is that I don't reapply chalk... I did it yesterday and my post-BtP sings were much better...

@Shahaf Levin what are effects have you noticed from doing the bent press on your beach volley ball performance?
I play recreational cricket, S&S improved my movement and fitness, Strong (double kb clean and press )improved my strength in hitting and throwing, it also improved my jumping. I'm interest to see what the Bent Press gives me this coming season.

Morning prep

OS resets
Spider-Man crawl
Cook @16kg

Bouldering - noon
Did not time, I think around 1 - 1:30 hrs. Kept it at moderate effort. Cleared a new V3, failed another one after that, and another one that I should not have tried due to fatigue. On the V0-2 I did I gave allot of attention to proper technique. Fine session. Should do more session that stop at V2 and ones a week go for V3... moderation and concentration...

Bent & Sinister - night
Movement prep

OS resets
Club work - half and tall kneeling and standing

Practice
Swing @40kg x
2H x 1 x 8
1H x 2 x 3
2H x 3 x 8​

Barbell bent press @30kg x 10 x 1
  • One hand swing @40kg: Grip was by far the limiting factor. Probably shouldn't 1H the 40kg on bouldering days for now.
  • Two hand swing @40kg: These get easy and explosive. I actually aimed for my usual 6 rep on the first set and found myself counting to 8. Time to increase the number of sets.
  • Bent press: Resisted the urge to try some doubles... both knowing that bouldering takes it toll and trusting the process that worked well with the 25kg. And if I am the topic of process, it is definitely heavily influenced from @Pavel Macek's RS&S progression.
  • BtP speculation - barbell carryover to KB: This is complete speculation since I am not back to KB BtP. I switched to BB because my groove down with the 36kg was not side pull enough and I hit my left forearm few many times. The BB pull down is side pull groove at any weight which I think will carry over to the KB (side pulling is not necessary for my structure/skill at lower weight).

@Shahaf Levin what are effects have you noticed from doing the bent press on your beach volley ball performance?
I play recreational cricket, S&S improved my movement and fitness, Strong (double kb clean and press )improved my strength in hitting and throwing, it also improved my jumping. I'm interest to see what the Bent Press gives me this coming season.

It gave me mobility and motor control in level I have never imagined, especially at end-range positions (or maybe redefining what end-range is?). When I think of the bent press @jef's signature comes to mind - "Without mobility, strength is wasted. Without strength, mobility is useless." Furthermore, it gave the confidence that I OWN these qualities. This improves fluidity of movement and since I had OH mobility problem in my left arm, it actually increased my jump.

From skill training stand point, I know I can move fluidly and strongly and that movement base is not limiting, allowing/forcing me to concentrate on pure technical-tactical qualities like timing, vision, prediction, focus and touch. For example - if I can't hit hard enough because I don't open my body I KNOW it is not a due to limited mobility to open my thoracic spine and generate tension in these position and it is either prediction, vision or timing problem.

It gave me mobility and motor control in level I have never imagined, especially at end-range positions (or maybe redefining what end-range is?). When I think of the bent press @jef's signature comes to mind - "Without mobility, strength is wasted. Without strength, mobility is useless." Furthermore, it gave the confidence that I OWN these qualities. This improves fluidity of movement and since I had OH mobility problem in my left arm, it actually increased my jump.

From skill training stand point, I know I can move fluidly and strongly and that movement base is not limiting, allowing/forcing me to concentrate on pure technical-tactical qualities like timing, vision, prediction, focus and touch. For example - if I can't hit hard enough because I don't open my body I KNOW it is not a due to limited mobility to open my thoracic spine and generate tension in these position and it is either prediction, vision or timing problem.
@Shahaf Levin you make a great point about the end range, TGU's gave me my movement back, but the BP seems to have taken it to another level. I feel like I can twist/turn, bend anyway I want with strength. Also I throw right handed, but the BP has made me feel comfortable throwing left handed for the first time and I'm 42, that's a weird thing to get my head around!
I start pre season training in a few weeks and can't wait to see the effects of the BP .

After consecutive 30 days of training I took a day off. Not required, but anyway...

Some light OS throughout the day

Evening prep
OS resets
3 rounds of
Neural connectivity complex @dbl BU 8kg x 1 - (1 clean, 3 press, 2 squat)
Standing double club pattern
  • Neural connectivity complex: This is just Dan John's armor building complex with bottoms up KB.
Beach volleyball session - morning
Prep

Spider-Man crawl
Ball control

Session
5 sets at moderate-high level. Good play, good company. Still takes me a couple of set to get in rhythm. Should wake up earlier and prep at home...

Bent press session - evening
Movement prep

OS resets
Club work
SOS GU @16kg x 2 + 2
Goblet squat @32kg x 5

Practice
Barbell bent press @30kg x
2 x 1
7 x 1 + 1​

No swings, felt like BVB was enough.

Last edited:
Morning prep

OS resets
Spider-Man crawl

Woke up tight on the left side of the neck, probably slept in awkward position, it happens to me when it gets colder... Had no time to clear it cause I was in a hurry for my FMS level I+II course (I did the level I online Oct17, but they only offer here the combined course). So far reading Movement and doing the online course was better, I hope the Level II part will be what I hope it will be.

Bent & Sinister - evening
Movement prep

OS resets
Club work
SOS GU @16kg x 2 + 2
Goblet squat @32kg x 5
Cook @20kg

Practice
Barbell bent press @30kg x 6 x 1

One hand swing @32kg x 3 x (6 , 6 + 6) , 6
I'll write it explicitly for the first time so it would make sense
R, L + R , L , R + L , R , L + R , L

NCC @dbl BU 8kg x 2 x 1
  • Bent press: I was lazy on wedging for the recovery phase on some lifts. Was not concentrated enough and since the bar is way less stable the KB the wedging need some concentration to prevent bar rotation. Point for emphasis for next session.
  • Swings: I felt pretty explosive, I BtP woke me up
  • NCC: Did a couple of rounds to solidify the prep

Morning prep

OS resets
Tall and half kneeling holds @20kg
Cook @16kg

Noon
Farmer carry @76kg x 2 x 1
Suitcase carry @36kg x 1 x 1+1
1 reps = 20m
Done GTGish

Straddle sit press @16kg x ~ 4 reps each side
Tall and half kneeling holds in rack and OH positions @16kg

Movement prep

OS resets
Long TGU @16kg x 1 + 1
Goblet squat @32kg x 5

Long TGU - Speed bumps to tall-sit, double low sweep, up, down in SOS GU sequence

Practice
Bent press @32kg x 10 x 1
Light club work as active rest between lifts

One hand swing @32kg x
4 x 6
2 x 8
2 x 6​

Suitcase carry @36kg x 1 + 1

• KB bent press: Good and weird to be back to KB. Good - the lower balance demands let me focus on the total body movement better. weird since it is not as smooth as it was when I moved to the barbell. Understandably so, but yet... Mainly lost some confidence in my left side clean. I assume it is some sort of pain memory from my left forearm. By the end of the session groove got better. Left forearm felt the pressure, and was more anticipating pain than feeling it... will see how I feel tomorrow morning and next session.
  • Total alignment and left shoulder: As I said in previous post, left shoulder is not at par in recent week, that why I added some alignment work throughout the day. I mined my log today and has not seen a mention of this in the past... Probably since I never felt so good before I didn't need to mention being slightly off...
  • One hand swing: This actually feels great to the shoulder and alignment, maybe should move it to first in the session or even to swing some in the morning...

Last edited:
Total alignment and left shoulder: As I said in previous post, left shoulder is not at par in recent week, that why I added some alignment work throughout the day. I mined my log today and has not seen a mention of this in the past... Probably since I never felt so good before I didn't need to mention being slightly off...

One more thought about it... While I mentioned it allot recently I do aware that it might be just seasonal or cyclical things... I don't remember who I am quoting now but only the weak are at their best all the time... So I guess I am not weak anymore :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom