all posts post new thread

Barbell quasi isometric training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

flightposite

Level 6 Valued Member
Quasi- Isometric training

I was just curious if pavel has any thoughts or experience with this form of training?

That is a great question pet.
I am not sure but they appear to be very similar. I am curious if this would be a good training implementation for front squats and the Olympic lifts.

Hello,

Here are guidelines on SF blog:
  • Set duration: 30-60 seconds to failure (both heavy and light days).
  • Rest between sets of a given exercise: 5-10 minutes, active (walk, “fast and loose”). Other exercises may be done during that window.
  • Resistance: 30-70% 1RM for the lower body and 10-40% 1RM for the upper body. No difference in resistance from heavy to light day.
  • Weekly schedule: bodybuilding style split training; a heavy day and a light day per muscle group.
  • Volume: 4-9 sets on heavy day; 1-3 sets on light day.
On T-Nation:
=> one minute per rep, which equals a 30-minute set of 30 reps (30-seconds each: 30 seconds down, 30 seconds up).
=> bodyweight squat or 30-40% 1RM bench press.
=>goal of 1-5 reps=
=>It's best to use submaximal loads, preferably well below 70 percent of your 1RM
=>Rest 2-5 minutes between sets

Differences:
'I almost always recommend that QI be done passively – using the minimal amount of muscle activation possible' (T-Nation).

In SF, we use total tension. Here, the minimal amount will be a less effort for CNS but will be quite hard to control. To some extents, it will make the move easier. However it can be worth considering to learn to control separately body part.

'Breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth.
  • Use shallow breaths because deep ones, especially fast, deep breaths can make you pass out.
  • Let the effort determine your breath speed.' (T-Nation)
In SF, there is total control of breath, due to total tension. I never tried to adapt my breath to slow motion. As a free diver, I try to always control my breath so may be it is a bad habit here. I adapt breath when I do stretching and when I go farther.

'Rest 2-5 minutes between sets' (T-Nation)
Rest are shorter than in SF (5-10). I think this would also builds some conditioning. Be careful of the move quality.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hey Pet. Thanks for the detailed response and breakdown. I am curious if anyone in the strong first community has experimented with similar protocols?

Hello,

@flightposite
I tried slow motion for a while, to reduce workout duration. I did it for bodyweight move only (pull ups, dips, push ups, pistol squat, dragon flags). I never tried with additional weight.

What I noticed:
=> very good control of the move
=> feeling of "lifting heavy"
=> I suppose it is better for joints because you can control your motion (there is no bump)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom