all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Question about compatibility of swings and Figure 8 to a Hold

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Ray Robinson

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi all. A few months ago I was making great progress on S&S when a 32 kger yanked my arm backwards during a get-up (I know; it’s my fault.) I experienced some pain in my shoulder so I went to my sports doc (kind of sad that I’m describing him as ‘my’ sports doc instead of ‘a’ sports doc….) He said it was just a mild AC sprain, and I could continue with kettlebells – just lighter weights than what I’d been using for S&S, and no exercises above the shoulder until the pain is gone. As a result, I’ve been doing circuits of swings, farmers carries, figure 8 to a hold, and step push-ups, which don’t put too much pressure on my shoulder. But I was wondering about the compatibility of figure 8s to a hold and the swing. For some reason I love the Figure 8 exercise; I can’t explain why but I just enjoy doing it. I guess they hit some of the same muscles, but at the same time the F8TAH has more of a pull component (although the swing also is a pull.) But both seem to work a variety of muscles so I figured it’s worth including. I try to balance all the pulls with the step push-ups. Anyway, I was just curious about the usefulness of doing these two exercises as part of my temporary regimen while my shoulder heals. Thanks!

Oh yeah, 51 years old, about 175 lbs, no real injury history (separated my other shoulder last year in a cycling accident but can do S&S with it without problems.)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom