all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB Question about handles and mini-review of CAP 'Competition' KB

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tirofijo

Level 6 Valued Member
I'm a sucker for a good deal, so I bought a 16kg CAP 'Competition' KB from Amazon. I put 'Competition' in quotation marks since it's not a competition bell. It's just their powdercoated KB, which I suppose is a step up from their enamel bells.

I paid $40 shipped, while the same size Kettlebell King bell costs $79. Rep Fitness would have been $64. CFF K2 would have been $89.

Alas, the bell came with a casting seam on the bottom of a handle. The seam isn't prominent, but just enough to feel it and therefore be annoying. I don't know if the seam would irritate in high rep snatches. I tried to take a picture but they didn't come out.

So there's the review.

-------------

Now for the question.

I took a file to the casting seam, and now the bottom of the handle is as smooth as a baby's bottom. But 7/8ths of the handle has the powdercoat, and the other 1/8 where I filed is smooth bare metal. Much like my competition 24kg KB. (My competition bell spent years less than a mile from the sea in an area where everything rusted, and has a nice patina on the bare metal and spots of rust coming up from the painted portion. I'm okay with that.)

I guess I don't get the interest with powder coating. If bare metal is good enough for GS, when why do I need a powder coat on a hardstyle bell? Yes, the handle will be thicker and therefore a little harder to hold on swings/snatches, but maybe that's a good thing, right? Forcing me to work my grip, etc.

I ask because the 16kg is probably too light for ROP (which is in my future) and am looking for a 20kg bell. Then I'd like to do a double kettlebell program (either with the 16kg or 20kg or both, which means purchasing two more bells). The savings adds up. If i have to file away the seam, I think I'm okay with that.

Granted, I've only played around with snatches to try to learn the movement. So it's possible I don't know what I don't know.

But when I see the photos of some of the spartan gyms in Russia or the Ukraine with their well used KBs, I get the feeling who ever is training there probably doesn't fret about the coating on his KB. And he's probably stronger than me.

I did have to buy a Rep Fitness 32kg bell since the CAP didn't come in that size for some reason on Amazon.

------------

TL;DR. Should I buy a cheap KB knowing I'm going to have to sand/tune the handle?

Nope buy a good one I bought a cap 16 kg ( my first buy ) hit the floor and cracked like an egg . No kidding. Needless to say I now own perform better ,rogue and onnit. Save yourself the trouble .If thats all you can get ,get it .Save a few more bucks and get a quality one ,maybe on sale.

Get one for rop that will keep you busy for awhile, probably long enough to get money together to get another for your double kB program.

Reactions: Jan
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom