all posts post new thread

Bodyweight question about PTTP program with pull ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

macknumber9

Level 1 Valued Member
I decided to do PTTP with incline bench and pull ups. I really want to get stronger on these two lifts.

Unfortunately I can only do 10 pull ups @ 190lbs right now so I will be using bodyweight as my starting point for the cycle...however I obviously can't deduct 10% for my 2nd set unless I cut off my arm or something lol. What do you guys recommend? Maybe 2nd set just 3 reps at bodyweight? then when I get to weighted pullups I can obviously drop the weight to bodyweight pullups to make the 2nd set for 5 reps?

PTTP with pull-ups and bench should be great. No need to do sets of more than 5, though. Try sets of 5 with your bodyweight only at first and then add a little weight to the first set and see how it goes.

-S-

I know but the problem is I can not deduct 10% for my 2nd set when in doing bodyweight for my first set. So I was wondering if I should just shoot for another set with bodyweight of 5 or 3 or something until the weight is heavy enough in the cycle to deduct 10% equalling my bodyweight?

@macknumber, do 3 sets of PU: 5, 3, 2. This is the prescription from the most recent version of PTTP, anyway. That version isn't available in English but you make take my word for it that the Boss' prefers you to use the same weight and that rep scheme.

If you prefer the other rep scheme, just add a little something to your first set, and still try for 5, 3, 2, but 3 and 2 with bw-only, and see if you can work up to enough weight on the first set that bw-only will be a 10% drop.

Remember, the numbers are chosen to keep you far from failure and to maximize the neural aspect of strength - keep that your focus, and adjust the rep scheme as needed to fit your situation, e.g.

bw + 10 lbs x 2, bw-only x 3, x 2

and work to keep adding reps to the first set.

-S-

If you can do 10 clean Pull-ups at 190 lbs, you can most likely do 1 with about 60 lbs added no? Just throwing some rough numbers here.

If that's the case, a PTTP cycle with Pull-ups could go very well for you. Start at 5,3,2 with just Bodyweight, then add 5 lbs every day. Once the first set gets hard (which might be by the time you are using 25 lbs), you could drop down to 3,2 and then a set of 5 with 90% of that weight (which would be 5 lbs or BW only).

Also, instead of adding 5 lbs every day, you could do it every other day ("step cycling"). You're at a good level where you could make excellent progress. Ten reps at 190 lbs is damn strong!

Hello,

@macknumber9
If that's the case, a PTTP cycle with Pull-ups could go very well for you. Start at 5,3,2 with just Bodyweight, then add 5 lbs every day. Once the first set gets hard (which might be by the time you are using 25 lbs), you could drop down to 3,2 and then a set of 5 with 90% of that weight (which would be 5 lbs or BW only).
As long as @305pelusa 's strategy works, go for it. Nonethless, PU can get stalled after a while using a linear progression.

After a while, you can also choose a waving progression, as described in the book. This way of training often permits to break a plateau when step / linear progression is not working anymore.

Kind regards,

Pet'

So 5 3 2 is all the same load? We don't drop the load correct?

Also I do have access to microplates so do you think it would be wise to use them instead of the big 5 lb jumps when I get to say 20lbs?

For weighted pull-ups, just use common sense based on the step cycle concept, e.g., use a weight use can get 3 reps with, then work up your rep count with that weight to 5-8, then add enough weight to take you back to three reps.

-S-

Also I do have access to microplates so do you think it would be wise to use them instead of the big 5 lb jumps when I get to say 20lbs?
I don't think so. The pull up is heavy enough that a microplate is almost meaningless. Think about it. No one seems to use them when they bench 190+ so why use them when you're pulling that much?

Using 5 lbs jumps keeps you honest. Instead of trying to just put on 2.5, you're forced to drop back down in weight and restart the cycle. I see that as a good thing as it will force you to reload.

I don't think so. The pull up is heavy enough that a microplate is almost meaningless. Think about it. No one seems to use them when they bench 190+ so why use them when you're pulling that much?

Using 5 lbs jumps keeps you honest. Instead of trying to just put on 2.5, you're forced to drop back down in weight and restart the cycle. I see that as a good thing as it will force you to reload.

OK cool I'll stay away from the microplates then...excited to see where this takes me...I'm coming off a very low frequency training...and I love training so this higher frequency is going to be really fun...

Hello,

this higher frequency is going to be really fun...
The very good thing about a daily training is that it permits you to really focus on perfect training because you maintain very low reps. Plus, it always keep you fresh. This is very different from a person to another. Nonetheless, I am fresher after a daily 30 minutes training, than after a 1h or 1h30 only 2 or 3 times a week.

As a drawback, technique is crucial because you get lots of volume.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Ok so I went with 5 3 2.. today is day 5 and starting to get difficult...im working with 20 lbs attached today and rep 5 was difficult and rep 3 was too...3rd set for 2 reps was a breeze though...guess my nervous system was really activated plus it was only 2 reps...i know I probably will only get 4 next time on my first set...should I warm up with bw singles before first set to activate my nervous system?

In the original pttp program it is mentioned to get around 3 or 2 reps on first set and then take few days off and start cycle over...but with 5 3 2 how should I approach this? Maybe like once I only can get 3 reps start over?

Example for me would be

Bw 5 3 2
5lbs 5 3 2
10lbs 5 3 2
15lbs 5 3 2
20 lbs 5 3 2
25 lbs 4 2 1
30lbs 3 1

Then repeat cycle at a slightly higher weight than when I started?

Last edited:
im working with 20 lbs attached today and rep 5 was difficult how should I approach this?

Once the first set gets hard (which might be by the time you are using 25 lbs), you could drop down to 3,2 and then a set of 5 with 90% of that weight (which would be 5 lbs or BW only).

And it's occurring at the exact point I figured it would hehe.

I'd try to milk the cycle a little longer. You should find that you can run this cycle to 40 or maybe even 45 lbs attached if you eliminate the first set of 5 and continue with 3,2. Do a set of 5 with BW after just to keep the volume the same if you want. You want each cycle to be 8-16 sessions if I'm not mistaken. Restarting now is a little soon by PTTP standards I believe.

Just my recommendation. Whatever you choose, keep us updated!

Ok I'm going to go until I only get 4 reps which will most likely be next session (sunday)...so hypothetically it should look like this...

Today 20lbs 5 3 2
Sunday 25lbs 4 3 2
Monday 30lbs 3 2
Tuesday 35lbs 3 2
Wednesday 40 lbs 3 2

I'm contemplating adding the bodyweight volume for 5 for extra practice or just staying with 3 2 and more practice at the heavy weights...think I'm going to keep it to just 3 2 when I get there...

Then when I restart cycle I will restart with heavier weight by 5 or 10 lbs and try to beat my 5rep max and/or my 3 rep max

Hello,

@macknumber9
In HSA, Pavel says that it is possible to go for ab training the day you do not lift. Then, some HLR or Pavel's sit ups can be worth considering. Strong abs always help and are involved in all moves.

Kind regards,

Pet'

And it's occurring at the exact point I figured it would hehe.

I'd try to milk the cycle a little longer. You should find that you can run this cycle to 40 or maybe even 45 lbs attached if you eliminate the first set of 5 and continue with 3,2. Do a set of 5 with BW after just to keep the volume the same if you want. You want each cycle to be 8-16 sessions if I'm not mistaken. Restarting now is a little soon by PTTP standards I believe.

Just my recommendation. Whatever you choose, keep us updated!

You are right on the money again with your prediction...

Today I did...

40 x 3 reps
40 x 2 reps
Bw x 5 reps

3 was difficult but I got it...now I wonder if I should go to 45lbs for 2 and then 1 rep or if I should just end the cycle now? There's no way I will get 3 reps with 45lbs tomorrow...the cycle is now 10 days in so it's enough time...

now I wonder if I should go to 45lbs for 2 and then 1 rep or if I should just end the cycle now? There's no way I will get 3 reps with 45lbs tomorrow...the cycle is now 10 days in so it's enough time...

Great work! I agree that 10 days is about right. I would most likely restart it at this point. You're doing awesome! I can see you breaking your best 5 and best 3 by 5 lbs on the next cycle (an excellent improvement for just 2 weeks of training).

One more quick question for you. What would you do in my shoes? I have been working out Sunday through Thursday so Friday and Saturday are my off days. Saturday I plan on having a few beers because it's my mother's 70th birthday. I don't prefer to work out the day after drinking so do you think I should take Friday Saturday and Sunday off or do you think I should continue working out on Friday and then take Saturday and Sunday off and restart Monday through Friday.

Basically either take 3 days off and get a tad rusty or train 6 days consecutively

One more quick question for you. What would you do in my shoes? I have been working out Sunday through Thursday so Friday and Saturday are my off days. Saturday I plan on having a few beers because it's my mother's 70th birthday. I don't prefer to work out the day after drinking so do you think I should take Friday Saturday and Sunday off or do you think I should continue working out on Friday and then take Saturday and Sunday off and restart Monday through Friday.

Basically either take 3 days off and get a tad rusty or train 6 days consecutively
I'd definitely go with the latter.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom