all posts post new thread

Bodyweight question about PTTP program with pull ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Ok so while losing weight I got stronger this is fantastic! My previous record from my first cycle was 4 reps with 30 lbs @ bodyweight of 191...today I got 5 reps with 33lbs at bodyweight of 189...so technically 1 more on for 1 more rep...i consider that fantastic for being on a mild calorie deficit...

The question is should I continue trying for 5 reps and get only 4 or jump straight to 3,2 and try to beat my previous 3 rep record...i am pretty much 100% sure that I won't get 5 reps with 5 more lbs tomorrow so I'm thinking of just being modest and dropping the reps to stay as far away from fatigue as I can...good idea or stay with 5 rep range until I do actually fail? Today was a tough 5 reps...

Ok so while losing weight I got stronger this is fantastic! My previous record from my first cycle was 4 reps with 30 lbs @ bodyweight of 191...today I got 5 reps with 33lbs at bodyweight of 189...so technically 1 more on for 1 more rep...i consider that fantastic for being on a mild calorie deficit...
This is excellent improvement to be frank with you. Your previous best set of 5 was around 20 lbs added. You should be very proud of yourself. Your programming and effort is on point, and it shows.

The question is should I continue trying for 5 reps and get only 4 or jump straight to 3,2 and try to beat my previous 3 rep record...i am pretty much 100% sure that I won't get 5 reps with 5 more lbs tomorrow so I'm thinking of just being modest and dropping the reps to stay as far away from fatigue as I can...good idea or stay with 5 rep range until I do actually fail? Today was a tough 5 reps...

Once again, I agree with you (why do you even ask... you clearly know what you're doing! hehe). I would drop down to 3,2, plus a set of 5 at Bodyweight or maybe with a bit of added weight (5 lbs perhaps?) after those. I do think that extra 5 easy reps at the end are a good idea to make up the volume and painlessly add in some practice.

Dropping to triples will deload you slightly and allow the cycle to go a bit longer.

It looks to me like you'll be good for 3 reps at 45 lbs by the end of the cycle. Perhaps even 3 reps at 50 lbs. I'm excited to see what you get :)

Well I got 45 with 3 today...im feeling strong so gonna go for 50 for 3 tomorrow and if I only get 2 so be it...either way tomorrow will be last day of cycle and I'll take Friday and Saturday off and start new cycle on Sunday instead of monday...

Got 50 for 3 and I didn't really struggle so I'm gonna go for 55 tomorrow and if I have a doubt that I will get 3rd rep I will not attempt...id rather workout tomorrow then take 3 days off in a row...keep it Monday through friday...plus I'm feeling strong mind as well keep the momentum going for one more day...

This pttp is powerful stuff...and no pun intended

Ok so this cycle I beat my old 5 rep max by 5 lbs and stayed the same on my 3 rep max...today I did same weight for 3 but i know it was difficult and will fail if I attempt 3 reps tomorrow with 5 lbs more...

Should I at this point try to add a little muscle by training less often and more closer to failure...then come back to this style of training with a little more size....or should i continue to train pttp style but just change up my progression model? Maybe step or wave cycle?

Last edited:
Also when completing a cycle if it's on say a Tuesday do I just take 2 days off and start new cycle on thursday...so I will train Thursday - Monday for new cycle or do I take all the way off until Monday to stay with my Monday thru Friday routine?

I'm guessing the former....just take 2 or 3 days off before resuming a new cycle

Should I at this point try to add a little muscle by training less often and more closer to failure...then come back to this style of training with a little more size....or should i continue to train pttp style but just change up my progression model? Maybe step or wave cycle?
Up to you. If you're thinking on cutting frequency to get more density (more reps per session), I'd recommend some kind of ladder template. You might look around into other Pull-up programs that train 3-4 times a week. I can't think of any off the top of my head.
You can also keep it simple and do 3-5 x 3-5, 3-5 times a week. You're on your own as far as weight selection, but just be reasonable to slowly add weight as weeks go by without pushing too hard.

Otherwise, I think you can run another cycle. 5 lbs added on a 5RM is pretty good progress for a couple of weeks of training. Unlike GTG, you could run many PTTP cycles because they always deload and build back up from a lighter weight.

Alternatively, you could switch to a Bear template of Pull-ups 2-3 times a week. That would certainly put muscle over PTTP. Be careful with your elbows. Mine are definitely not fans of that much bent arm pulling. But yours might be ok.

Also when completing a cycle if it's on say a Tuesday do I just take 2 days off and start new cycle on thursday...so I will train Thursday - Monday for new cycle or do I take all the way off until Monday to stay with my Monday thru Friday routine?

I'm guessing the former....just take 2 or 3 days off before resuming a new cycle
Former for sure.

@macknumber9
Those are some nice pull-up numbers.

If you don't mind my asking, what are your overall training goals?

Are you training for some sport/activity/job performance?

Thanks

@macknumber9
Those are some nice pull-up numbers.

If you don't mind my asking, what are your overall training goals?

Are you training for some sport/activity/job performance?

Thanks

Thanx I appreciate that...my goal is just to be strong...I want to be strong at overhead pressing variation and vertical pulling variation...aesthetics is an end goal as well as I know if I can build strength I can build muscle easier...

As far as numbers go...skys the limit...id be happy doing 100lbs attached for reps but then when I got that strong I'd want more...120lbs etc....i live challenging myself and getting stronger...im addicted to it but it is a long slow process that I am very much aware of...nothing has worked better than PTTP so far though...i have been training these movements for a few years now 3 or 4 years...and high frequency is where it's at especially if programmed correctly...

I'm about to start today the new cycle I'm thinking of a step cycle that way I get more practice at heavier weights and the cycle will last longer...instead of peaking so early

Ok so I just want to make sure I'm doing this right because this is confusing to me...I am doing pull ups and overhead press. I am ending my overhead press today as it's getting difficult. I did 125lbs for 3 and 2 and ending it today. Now I work out Mon - Fri with pull ups and overhead press...Should I take 2 days off of overhead pressing and then resume for Friday - Tuesday schedule or should I just finish the week starting back at the very light weight that I originally started with? It would be easier to just do that and stay on a Mon-Fri schedule. But if it's more advantageous to take 2 days off and start a new Fri-Tuesday overhead press cycle with Mon-Fri pull up schedule then I will do it. This way I will be lifting 7 days a week with just one lift per day most of the time..

Your Pullup cycle is Mon-Fri (with Sa and Su off).

The most convenient is to have it in sync with your presses. Your peak press day was today. So I'd take 2 days off (W and Th) and then press on F and Sa, taking Su off.
At that point, it'll be in sync with the Pullups. You'd press M-F of this upcoming week.

Yeah it's a little different because you're throwing a random day off in there (Su) but it'll work just fine.

Just my recommendation

Okay thanks for the advice I will definitely do that. I got to thinking about things and I'm wondering if it would be advantageous to train 7 days a week. What I would do is train 5 days a week but on my off days instead of doing nothing just do Grease the groove movements at a very low intensity somewhere around 40 or 50% one rep max. And just do singles...i have no life lol I can do this 25 times a day 7 days a week if it could benefit me positively...

Last edited:
Okay thanks for the advice I will definitely do that. I got to thinking about things and I'm wondering if it would be advantageous to train 7 days a week. What I would do is train 5 days a week but on my off days instead of doing nothing just do Grease the groove movements at a very low intensity somewhere around 40 or 50% one rep max. And just do singles...i have no life lol I can do this 25 times a day 7 days a week if it could benefit me positively...
I don't think you'll find an issue doing a few reps of 40-50% of your max. That's definitely not something taxing.

You can do that for the press.

However you can't do that for the Pullup. Unless you can do a Pullup with your Bodyweight added, then you can't quite get to 40-50% of a 1RM. With your current 1RM, an unweighted pull up is already like 80% of it. You could use some bands to assist you I suppose.

Hey

Did you stay on pttp or switch over to the bear (for pullups)?

I woukd imagine the bear woukd take a lot longer but would give you the size.

Richard

Hey

Did you stay on pttp or switch over to the bear (for pullups)?

I woukd imagine the bear woukd take a lot longer but would give you the size.

Richard

Hey Richard

I'm still trying to milk out as many gains as I can on pttp while in a calorie deficit...i want to just get my neural strength up as much as I can and then I will focus on less frequent training program for size...i also want to wait to be consuming more calories for the bear program or any other hypertrophy program...

@macknumber, do 3 sets of PU: 5, 3, 2. This is the prescription from the most recent version of PTTP, anyway. That version isn't available in English but you make take my word for it that the Boss' prefers you to use the same weight and that rep scheme.

If you prefer the other rep scheme, just add a little something to your first set, and still try for 5, 3, 2, but 3 and 2 with bw-only, and see if you can work up to enough weight on the first set that bw-only will be a 10% drop.

Remember, the numbers are chosen to keep you far from failure and to maximize the neural aspect of strength - keep that your focus, and adjust the rep scheme as needed to fit your situation, e.g.

bw + 10 lbs x 2, bw-only x 3, x 2

and work to keep adding reps to the first set.

-S-
Hi Steve, what is this recent version of PTTP?

Hi Steve, what is this recent version of PTTP?
I haven't seen it myself, but I am told that for the Russian language version of PTTP, the change was made from two sets of five to three sets, 5-3-2, with the same weight. The lower reps on the second and third sets "take the place" of the lower weight with the same reps in the earlier program.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom