all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Question about S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anders

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi,

after having spent around 10 years having too many goals, and switching training program too often, I have now decided to do the S&S to the letter and try and reach first simple, and then hopefully sinister.

a) I am now using 24 kilo and 32 kilo. So in terms of one-hand swing I am using 24 kilo for six sets, and 32 kilo for four sets. I was wondering what I should do when doing the 2 hand swings ? Should I then use 24 kilo on all sets, or should I then too use 24 kilo for six sets and 32 kilo for four sets ?

b) On the "light" day when I use 2-handed swings, should I then also do TGU, or should I then skip the TGU ?

c) The way I read Simple and Sinister there is an option about how often you should use 2-handed swings, meaning you can choose if you want to use 2-handed swings every other training day, or every third training day. Is that correct ? I am training the S&S every day.

d) I spend one to two weeks at my parents place every easter, Christmas and summer. For the moment I have 16 kilo kettlebell, 20 kilo kettlebell and a 44 kilo kettlebell at my parents place. Should I buy myself a 32 kilo and a 24 kilo kettlebell to have at my parents place ?

I am grateful for all replies.

Hi @Anders. My below reply is based mostly on personal experience.

a) I would use 32 kg for 2HS.

b) By the book, you shouldnt skip TGU on the light day. I however have had good results skipping the TGU on the light day. Is your TGU ahead of your swings? If yes, you could consider skipping it.

c) I prefer 2HS every 3rd day or so. Either way is fine I think.

d) If you want to buy more bells, thats fine. If you dont, you could snatch the 16 and 20, and do sets of 5 2HS with the 44. If you will be at your parents for 3 weeks or less, I wouldnt bother buying more bells.

Get the latest version of S&S if you don't have it already.

+1 to everything @Oscar said. (Hi, Oscar.)

My own preference for getups is to do them every day, but on days when I could just as easily skip them, I'll often do just 1 reps but do something different with it, e.g., today I spent some time after the low sweep, with one hand on the group and the other in the air with the bell, just moving around a little, rotating from the top shoulder back and forth, moving my neck, making sure my bottom shoulder was packed, etc., and then I came back down again. It was a whole lot better than skipping the movement altogether, IMHO.

You should be able to manage the 44 kg for 2-handed swing - it will be a nice change of pace for you.

-S-

Get the latest version of S&S if you don't have it already.

+1 to everything @Oscar said. (Hi, Oscar.)

My own preference for getups is to do them every day, but on days when I could just as easily skip them, I'll often do just 1 reps but do something different with it, e.g., today I spent some time after the low sweep, with one hand on the group and the other in the air with the bell, just moving around a little, rotating from the top shoulder back and forth, moving my neck, making sure my bottom shoulder was packed, etc., and then I came back down again. It was a whole lot better than skipping the movement altogether, IMHO.

You should be able to manage the 44 kg for 2-handed swing - it will be a nice change of pace for you.

-S-
I have read your article on two and one handed swinging. Do you beleive that there is any difference in power output. Also could two handed swings hurt your shoulder

I have read your article on two and one handed swinging. Do you beleive that there is any difference in power output. Also could two handed swings hurt your shoulder

There is a difference in power output (as documented in the book Simple and Sinister)

Any type of training has the potential to hurt you if approached incorrectly. As we often do around here... I recommend you get hands on training from a qualified KB instructor (preferably an SFG) to ensure your technique is good. Likewise if a person has a injury or otherwise weak or compromised body part... seek appropriate guidance.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom