all posts post new thread

Bodyweight question about Start Bodyweight

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I just started this program for the first time the other day and I like it, however, I finished it really quickly (~30mins). Is this a normal amount of time for this workout? Is this amount of time adequate to progress to an advanced fitness level?

I think it depends on what your goals are, maybe some more information? in my opinion if you are consistent with something and you do it with intention you will progress although how much depends on you and the level of exertion.

What is the program you are on? Do you have a link?

I just started this program for the first time the other day and I like it, however, I finished it really quickly (~30mins). Is this a normal amount of time for this workout? Is this amount of time adequate to progress to an advanced fitness level?

I think it depends on what your goals are, maybe some more information? in my opinion if you are consistent with something and you do it with intention you will progress although how much depends on you and the level of exertion.
What is the program you are on? Do you have a link?

I think he's referring to:

I've done it before. I even bought the poster!

30 min is pretty quick if you're doing all the warmups, cool downs, and the progressions are appropriately hard.

When I did all the warmups, cool downs, and had appropriately hard progressions, it usually took me closer to 40-45 minutes.

The proscribed rest intervals are 1-2 minutes between sets. That means about ~6 minutes per progression, 6 exercises = 36 min. So, yes, 30 minutes is too quick and it probably means the progression level you're at is too easy for you.

Also, given it's built on a series of 3 x 8 progressions, it's not really primarily focused on conditioning, but more on strength.

As such, when I was at an appropriately hard level, I needed more rest and couldn't just bang out 3 x 8. It would be more like 7-8, 5-6, 4-5 reps the first time I 'leveled up'. Or maybe 6, 4-5, 3 if it was a hard level up. The program calls for starting with 4, even if you can do more.

Last edited:
That's a great routine! Don't worry about the time, as you move on to harder progressions you will probably need more rest between sets which is absolutely fine (2-3 minutes is no problem even though it says 1-2 mins in the text).
The beauty of this routine lies in its simplicity. You can follow it basically indefinetly by performing harder variations or adding weight.
For example: An experienced person could do 5x5 for the first 3 exercises and choose hard progressions (for example: pistol squats, weighted pullups, feet elevated pike pushups between parallettes or handstand pushups) and then do the remaining moven at 3 sets of 8-12.
Have fun with it!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom