all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Question about strength training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Reuben

Level 4 Valued Member
I havent posted in a while but now i i have a question that i need help with. I have a skinn desease called eczema and a a new treatment have arrived that goes to the root of it rather than just treat the symptoms. During my medication period my immune system will go down so i have to change my way of training but i dont know how. I have followed a program from Barbell Reloaded and that program is based on Benchpress,deadlift and squats. My thoughts are to train in a way that doesnt affect your cns to mutch since that will affect immune system. Would kettlebell training be a better option and if so do explain why.

I am no doctor, but I will say this: the implement may not matter as much as the structure of your training.

I'll repeat it: I am not a doctor. Knowing you will be somewhat compromised, it may make sense to dial down your volume, intensity, and likely density as well. Meaning: lower the poundages, lower the sets/reps, longer rest. Consider reduced frequency as well. Stress is stress, and you may want to limit that as much as you can in your situation.

Ketllebells may be a "lower system load" to achieve similar benefits, so theoretically it could be a good option yes. But I would consider altering those other variables as well.

My thought is to train how you want to train, as long as it's reasonable and is working for you.

I don't know how you might measure effects on the CNS from one mode of training vs. another, other than your own assessment of how stressful training is for you.

Unless you have specific instructions from your doctor about what to do or what not to do?

The one thing i know my doctor said was to listen to my body but what you say makes sense. I was thinking about that the wheight of the kettlebell is different from the wheight of the barbell and that alone change how mutch stress the body can handle. And yes that doesnt mean i can do what ever program i like.

Reuben, the immune system is compromised by overtraining, not by what lifts you do. You can stick with your current program. Just eat and sleep well, and if you start feeling like the workout is pushing you, just pause on driving progression. As in, just repeat the sessions and you will probably find them getting easier each week for a few weeks. Then you can do the next step and repeat. Your medication period doesn't have to mean regression.

Eustress training has been talked about before in other threads too. Here is an article with the gist.

Eustress Training

Maybe do even less than 50 reps though. Perhaps use a double progression with a range of volume before adding weight. Maybe 20-50 reps, then add weight.

Having weight in your hands is more difficult on the CNS than not having weight in your hands so perhaps also consider dropping the deadlift and only squat and bench press. Plenty of strong people don't deadlift and you have a legit reason not to either.

Reuben, the immune system is compromised by overtraining, not by what lifts you do. You can stick with your current program. Just eat and sleep well, and if you start feeling like the workout is pushing you, just pause on driving progression. As in, just repeat the sessions and you will probably find them getting easier each week for a few weeks. Then you can do the next step and repeat. Your medication period doesn't have to mean regression.
This is why i ask before i change anything.
Eustress training has been talked about before in other threads too. Here is an article with the gist.

Eustress Training

Maybe do even less than 50 reps though. Perhaps use a double progression with a range of volume before adding weight. Maybe 20-50 reps, then add weight.

Having weight in your hands is more difficult on the CNS than not having weight in your hands so perhaps also consider dropping the deadlift and only squat and bench press. Plenty of strong people don't deadlift and you have a legit reason not to either.
Very intresting. I havent actualy thought about that. Gives me something to think about.

My thoughts are to train in a way that doesnt affect your cns to mutch since that will affect immune system.
It would be interesting to know why you think heavy lifting will challenge your immune system.

I don't think you will know until you begin your medication and try your lifting programs. It would be prudent, IMHO, to choose the first week of your new medications as a back-off weeks, and then start a new cycle after that, and just be alert to how it's going. You could even, if you've made progress over the last few months, decide to take a step or two backwards and repeat a previous cycle, just to see how it feels.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom