all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Question about the hip hinge

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Vapidtm

Level 3 Valued Member
just double checking if I understand the hip hinge
So during the hinge for kettlebell swings, deadlifts, etc. you push your hips straight back rather than down correct? Do you lower your hips down even a little, or is it only straight back to the rear?

I don't know if Dan John came up with 'the hinge' and the hip displacement continuum, but I'll credit him since that's where I heard it first - the squat to a (stiff legged) deadlift; there's a continuum.

Think of an "athletic stance" - back straight, hips back slightly, knees slightly bent. From that position, do you sink the hips and flex the knees? Then it's a squat. From that position do the hips flex and move (primarily) backwards and the knees stay (relatively) static? Then it's a hinge.

I really learned about the hip being dominant when I started doing over speed eccentrics. I can periodically feel the tension at the bottom of the swing develop around the hip joints.

The opposite end of that (squat - hip hinge) continuum was the goblet pause squat really quad dominant we sensation for me . I can feel it more at the bottom of the squat when I practice hyper irradiation as explained in PTTP.

For the squat, it's a 6-7 target depending on the variation. For the hinge, it's a 7-8. GM is more to the true "back" or 9 position.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom