all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Question about the shoulder

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Kimberly Sheridan, welcome to StrongFirst

None of us are doctors and we should be very careful about offering what might be misconstrued as medical advice.

@Kimberly Sheridan, what you've just said goes against everything I've ever heard about joint replacements - the usual advice is to put it off as long as possible because it's not possible to simply keep replacing artificial joints ad infinitum.

The person who started this thread isn't the person with shoulder problems but a family member - I think the best thing we can do here is suggest that the patient follow their doctor's advice. If they are an active person and interested in overhead lifts, then it's probably in their best interest to consult a doctor who both works with athletes and is familiar with joint replacements.

-S-

@Steve Freides ... agreed. I know many people that have had or are potential candidates for joint replacements. All have been recommended to do later in life if at all possible.

I wouldn't be in a rush to get any joint replaced unless there were no other options left.

Medical bioenginering has made many advances recently, so it won't be long before a joint replacement is not needed in many cases. Stem cell treatments are becoming more common and lots of work is being done on 3D bioprinted human tissue.

It's still some way off but one day human spare parts will be printed or grown to repair orthopedic issues & they will become the preferred option to plastic & metal joints. Some labs are re-growing knee cartilages and various other parts, so it is happening. If you've had an artificial joint replacement many of the new up & coming treatments won't be an option later on & you could end up with something that's less than optimal for the rest of your life.

I've needed two artificial knees since I was about 25 but I was told they don't normally replace them until the patient is over 40. I'm 47 now and my knees are well past their use by date but I'm very reluctant to have them replaced.

I've seen stem cell do some crazy things to knees with OA. It's exciting stuff
I heard a episode of Joe Rogans podcast where he talked about his stem cell procedure in his shoulder. Apperently the injection healed his shoulder in no time, despite several doctors telling him he needs surgery to repair his shoulder.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom