all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Question about training and its impact.

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Reuben

Level 4 Valued Member
I have several questions for you guys. What style of training have the least impact on the body when it comes to stressing the body is it barbell or kettlebells?why i ask is i have problem with my cortisol and i have tried different approaches and i will explain what happends. when i train to mutch my cortisol rises and it impact my overall health since i also have eczema. To mutch training also release to mutch histamine in the blood that auses severe itching. But enough training should rise both cortisol and histiamine just enough for it to sink fter a while. Is there any safe way to find out or do i have to use trial and error?

What style of training have the least impact on the body when it comes to stressing the body is it barbell or kettlebells?

I would say it depends less on the tool and more on your programming and your mindset. Have you heard of "Eustress training"? I don't know the source of the term, but you can find some things by googling it. It seems to be a mindset and approach that keeps training low-stress. I suspect that many people do it naturally without giving it a name. A+A training has a lot in common with it and you've probably read about that on this forum.

I don't think this is a question we're going to be able to answer on the forum for you. Kettlebell are generally lighter - we do know that. But one can design a program that features a lot of "stressing the body" with kettlebells and a barbell one that does not.

You might wish to seek out a trainer to help you monitor the connection between your exercise and your symptoms.

I strongly recommend you read, in articles on this site and elsewhere, about AGT - anti-glycolytic training. Based on what you've said, my opinion as a trainer is that this route might hold promise for you.

Please note that I am not a doctor, and all of this should be handled in close consultation with your doctor.

-S-

Yeah i understand that you might not be experts or doctors. I was thinking about your experience. I understand that in order for something positive to change to our body you have to stress it in some sort but just enough and not overdo it.

@Reuben, yes, you said it well. There is a right amount of stress, really a right _range_ of stress, that elicits the response we want without causing undo harm. But your situation is unusual and includes a medical condition. No one is suggesting that your doctor substitute for your trainer, but please do work with both.

-S-

Trial and error. We’re all individuals, and your situation is unique.

I would do Easy Strength, and dial in the frequency to what works for you. Add walking, and some mind/body discipline like yoga. You can try finishing a training session with some mind/body routine of yoga, qigong, breathing, meditation, etc. to help the system come back to a relaxed state.

Trial and error. We’re all individuals, and your situation is unique.

I would do Easy Strength, and dial in the frequency to what works for you. Add walking, and some mind/body discipline like yoga. You can try finishing a training session with some mind/body routine of yoga, qigong, breathing, meditation, etc. to help the system come back to a relaxed state.
I already do Virya yoga and a guided meditation so i got that part covered.I think i should focus more on that then training but maybe train to maintain strenght.

I would agree with @Steve Freides and @Anna C. It's not so much a question of KB vs BB, as it is a question of "What kind of training philosophy suits you best?" Knowing what I know, if I was in your situation, I would do two things:
1) Start easing into a mix of low-intensity aerobic work and A+A training, probably under the guidance of someone more experienced.
2) Start looking at any other areas where I can reduce stress, in order improve my capacity to train. I'm sure you've done this, but seeing as this is a chronic condition, it might be useful to take the mentality that "there's always something else I can do make it better." The biggest behavioral contributors to stress and inflammation (there are plenty of genetic components, but we can't change those yet) are sleep, diet, and social issues. Anything you can do to improve sleep, improve relationships, or figure out/eliminate dietary triggers will also improve your capacity to train.

I would agree with @Steve Freides and @Anna C. It's not so much a question of KB vs BB, as it is a question of "What kind of training philosophy suits you best?" Knowing what I know, if I was in your situation, I would do two things:
1) Start easing into a mix of low-intensity aerobic work and A+A training, probably under the guidance of someone more experienced.
2) Start looking at any other areas where I can reduce stress, in order improve my capacity to train. I'm sure you've done this, but seeing as this is a chronic condition, it might be useful to take the mentality that "there's always something else I can do make it better." The biggest behavioral contributors to stress and inflammation (there are plenty of genetic components, but we can't change those yet) are sleep, diet, and social issues. Anything you can do to improve sleep, improve relationships, or figure out/eliminate dietary triggers will also improve your capacity to train.
I agree. I know my sleep is good. I feel well rested in the morning and feel motivated to go up. I have also made a allergy test so i know what food to stay away from. i have tried for a period to stay away from training but it makes eczema worse so the right amount is good. But i do not give up but i am rather frustrated

Easy Strength

Low volume, low intensity, high frequency training.

The frequency is flexible and can vary depending on the circumstances. Dial in how often you can train without aggravating symptoms through trial and error.

I have also made a allergy test so i know what food to stay away from
This is a good first step, but there are a number of non-allergic ways that our body can respond to food that you can't pick up with an allergy test, but will still increase inflammation or physiological stress. While it's a bit of a laborious process, I think it would make sense for you to do some kind of elimination protocol, where you cut things down to just a few foods that are generally very safe for a couple weeks, then you reintroduce a new food every 3-4 days and see how it affects you. The process can take 2-3 months, but for someone with what is likely a life-long condition, I think it would be a good investment of time. It actually seems more common than not that people with autoimmune issues find that they have one or two food triggers that make things worse, and you would likely be able to tell whether or not it's worth your time within the first few weeks. Since this really isn't training related, you could PM me or start another thread in the nutrition section if it's something you're interested in doing.

I always default to S&S for eustress training. I also suggest a heart rate monitor to track your heart rate variability (HRV) and monitor heart rate during training.

Oh that was that training style you mentioned earlier. If it doesnt fatigue CNS to mutch then it something to try aswell.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom