all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Question on double kettlebell clean and jerks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Erik

Level 4 Valued Member
I have been interested in accomplishing a few goals of mine for a bit. I have asked a similar question before but circumstances have changed. I do grapple 3 times a week but do not have to worry about competitions any time soon. This goal is separate. Dealing with the double kettlebell clean and jerk. My goals with the kettlebells is to be able to clean and jerk the beasts as well as being able to accomplish 16 to 17 reps with the 70's. The issue is programming it around my grappling. A few programs I know I feel would be too hard on my body and grappling together. I felt 3-4 x3 maybe a heavy, light, medium day would work well. 2 53 lb and two, 70 lbs kettlebells. I am not sure where I stand on how many reps. 3 reps with the 70 lbs ones are relatively easy.

I do grapple 3 times a week but do not have to worry about competitions any time soon.
@Erik, your grappling schedule and your lifting goals still need to be coordinated so that they help rather than hinder.

Simple programming - if "3 reps with the 70 lbs ones are relatively easy," why don't you establish a max reps for yourself with the 70's - let's say you get 9 reps on your test day. Use that 9 to calculate your programming. I recall hearing, at a GS coaching workshop, that 50 to 80% of max reps was a good training range, and I would recommend you go even lower and try something like between 3 and 6 reps per set in your training.

A key determinant in improving strength is improving volume, and the key to improve volume is to train in a way that's meaningful to your goal while still not overtraining. Keep your reps between 3 and 6 and working up to lots of sets over a period of time would be a solid approach. Imagine if you were able to work up to a total of 10 to 20 sets on your heavy day - that would make doing more than 9 in a single set more likely.

-S-

Last edited:
I can tell you from first hand experience, 3 reps to 5 reps with double 70 pounders can mean a big jump so be very patient in building up the volume...

Being able to clean the double 80 pounders as well would require a lot of volume. I have managed 10 reps with the double 70s but need a lot of practice to get the double 80s for even 3-4 solid reps

Thank you for the responses. I will be using that method and starting off with the 53 lbs.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom