all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Question on Leg Raises to Situps

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LoneRider

Level 6 Valued Member
I've been (re)reading Convict Conditioning lately, specifically the leg raise series. This became of interest to me because of the fact that the Army is switching over to a new physical fitness test in the next year or so where we use heel tucks instead of situps.

For the next year plus I'm planning on working leg raise series into my training but I've got two APFTs between the projected Army-wide adaptation of the new fitness test.

My plan so far is to train the leg raises after the next APFT I take later in December and a month or so before my next two APFTs change my midsection training to a situp focus for some sport specific stuff.

My question is how transferable are leg raises to situps?

What do you mean by transferable?
A. Strength of abs/core?
B. Mind muscle connection?
C. Want to emphazise muscle building in parts of the abs?

-Leg raises carry the risk to use the hip flexors more than you use the abs/core.
-Sit ups and leg raises are initiated differently.
-Up to a certain degree all the ab muscles are involved in leg raises and sit ups.
-Either the shoulder or the hips are fixed.

Help me out if I totally misunderstood your question :)

By transferable I meant how does one carry over to the other. In my line of work I have to do repetition sit-ups on my semiannual fitness test until the test changes to the heel tuck (hang from chin-up bar and touch feet to the bar) in 2019. I'm using the leg raises to prepare for the new test for the next year or so, and I'm just curious what the carryover of leg raises are for performing sit-ups.

I am currently working with a unit who has been chosen to field this test prior to its release. I'm a fan of the change from a healthcare perspective.

As the copy of the instructions that we received describes, the leg tucks are performed by touching your elbows to somewhere on your thighs. This is best completed by executing a half pull up while bring the knees up. You should be using a pull up bar facing to the side, with a commando grip. Place your dominant side hand closer to you your head. I don't have the literature with me right now, but I think a score of 10 was good/above average and 20 was excellent.

In the small group I have working with this, the movement and technique will definitely carry over to the current sit up test, though you will have to do some sit ups as the APFT nears.

Thanks for the input @aciampa. I'll keep that in mind. I'll work the leg raises/knee tucks as my main core work switching to situps only when an APFT is a month or so away as an initial thought.

Get Pavel's Hard Style Abs and learn the straight-leg hanging leg raise - tremendous exercise. It's taught at our Bodyweight instructor cert, BTW.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom