all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Question on Soju&Tuba weight

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

caddo2000

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi,
I have a question on the wheight to use for the Soju&Tuba press program.

I will be 50 in less than 40 days. I am 1.66cm tall and weigh 72Kg. I normally walk at around 68KG and when I competed in Judo do so at 66kg.
I chalk the increase in weight to the Covid-19 lockdown and the fact that I had to stop Judo due to an ACL injury.

I want to work on my pressing while I am doing swings and stationary cycling for conditioning.
Plan is to alternate days, 3 days swings in the morning and cycling in the afternoon, the other 3 days pressing.

I have 3 Kettlebells at home, a 24, 16 and 12. I use the 24kg for the swings and the 12 for warming up and armbars.
Right now I cannot press the 24kg, but I can press the 16kg 7 times on the left side and 9 times on the right.

Is it ok to use the 16 for the Soju&Tuba program, or is it to light and I need to go for a different program?

My goal is to press the 24kg on both side for at least one rep, so I can move to GTG presses.

Hello,

@caddo2000
Usually, the weight you use is function of your 1RM. Below, I'll quote the article (in the "Soju and Tuba press program" section)
"Take a kettlebell one size lighter (4kg) than your 1RM".

However, you seem to be more in the following area:
"if you’re in that area where one size lighter than your 1RM is “too light,” then use your 2RM/3RM instead"

So, do you have a few plates you can add to the bell, to reach 20kg for instance. If not, I would follow the program with the 16, but would add a few sets here and there, GTG style, to get more volume. Indeed, S&T has a relatively low volume because it uses a fairly heavy weight (regarding the 1RM).

Nonetheless, if I were in your shoes, I'd go for RoP. This program relies more and volume than weight (so you could do it with 16). Plus, C&P done in ladders may provide some conditioning. You will get even more conditioning by following the swings and snatch protocol of RoP

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'd also like to see a vid of your c and p with the 16kg..

My guess is you need to get better in getting tight and producing force

Thanks both.
I never had proper instructions, I followed the books and videos on the StrongFirst channel, so yes, I know my technique is question mark.

I will try to post a video, thanks for the offer.
I will try to find the EtK book to folow ROP.

Hello,

@caddo2000
In the kettlebell section of the forum, there is a thread called ROP support group, which is very informtive.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@caddo2000
All the dragondoor books are on 50% discount at the moment (checkout code CV50), so if you're interested to pick up a copy/ebook of Enter the Kettlebell, it might be a good time :)

I'm sure that after you finish a cycle of ROP with your 16kg bell you will for sure get AT LEAST one rep with the 24kg!

Good luck!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom