all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Question/Recommendations

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

CarlU314

Level 3 Valued Member
Greetings.

A few months ago, I injured my shoulders due to bad form on KB swings (I have been able to correct my form). I did not use my KBs for a month or so. Prior to the injury I was able to press my 16 kg KB. Now I am unable to press it. Any recommendations other than buying more KBs to regain my strength?

Also, I am unable to do a complete pull up (neutral or regular) because of shoulder pain. I did lose 100 pounds and I thought I would be able to do pull ups.

Will the dead hangs help?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Have you seen a physio?

Dead hangs were a good starter for me, I still do these at the end of my S+S sessions. Reverse chin ups / pull ups may also be useful to rebuilding strength in these areas. Might be an idea to focus on BW exercises to begin with before buying more bells, but I'd see a physio first to rule out any issues that further training may exacerbate.

Horizontal rowing often helps me with shoulder pain. Your can do rows with your 16 kg kettlebell.
I also like arm circles for increasing blood flow in shoulder muscles and tissues.
And, of course, dead hang.

A diagnosis might help you identify what corrective exercises are required. I'm keen on diagnosis, carefully selected exercises and avoiding aggravation of injuries. This helps avoid lost training time!

Unsupported Hangs might be too much. You might need to stand on a chair or equivalent or use a low hanging bar with feet on the ground at the start. The n you would work up to a "dead hang" by hanging with a tiny bit more weight or a bit longer each training day. Difficult to say but do avoid training your way into pain or through pain.

A diagnosis should help identify what will work safely and also how much you need to work with a reduced load.

If you haven't had your shoulder properly diagnosed, you need to. It might have healed, it might not have. You might be compensating around the injury and not realizing it. Figure that out first. A good PT is invaluable.

You should also decide on what your goal is. Why do you do swings? Why do you want to do pullups? These questions seem silly, but knowing your goal is essential because then the programming you follow will deliver those goals. As Pavel said so succinctly, "Random training will produce random results." Plus, once you know your goals, a good coach can find more than one way to deliver them.

For a cheaper option, light bands. When I was rehabbing my shoulder they were heavily involved in my PTs plan. Also see a PT and do everything until the very end, don’t quit early when you start to feel good again.

PUSHUPS. Pushups will work the shoulder but share the load with the chest and tris. I would start there until you can do pushups until the cows come home. After a couple months you can try some overhead presses.

+1

Push ups were great for me years ago for restoring shoulder strength and stability, proper scapular and serratus anterior mechanics.

PUSHUPS. Pushups will work the shoulder but share the load with the chest and tris. I would start there until you can do pushups until the cows come home. After a couple months you can try some overhead presses.
This is almost exactly what my PT told me for my shoulder issues. (adding in an obnoxious amount of rotator work with bands of course)

HURRICANE BAR - this is another option to rehab shoulders. Its just hanging light plates or Kettlebells off the ends of a barbell with big bands. The instability of the weight moving somehow heals the joint. Just go very light if you try this.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom