all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Question reg. the weight on Craig Marker's pressing plan

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mvikred

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
I think a whole lot of great information is embedded in different articles and I came across the following which was pretty appealing to me

A Science-Based Plan to Prepare You for the SFG Level I and SFG Level II | StrongFirst

When I looked at the pressing plan, it was based on Plan Strong and also had not huge volume - helpful especially when pressing heavier weights.

However, my question is the following - what does one do when you don't have a clear 1RM? Let me explain using my own example. 36kg is my 3RM (on R) and 2RM (on L). And I can't press the 40kg yet. So should I just consider using 36kg as my 1RM and go ahead with the plan or use 40kg as my 1RM and go ahead with it?

You need to decide to bell up or down.
Your 1RM can be estimated as ((37-2 reps)÷36) x 36 kg = 37 kg
75% x 37 kg = 27.8 kg
85% x 37 kg = 31.5 kg
90% x 37 kg = 33.3 kg
The first two are clear as 28 kg and 32 kg.
Personally I'd choose the 36 kg for the 90% as they are only singles but I also know I do better with more volume at lower bell size. Good luck.

This is helpful. I was planning to use 36 as my 90%. And I do hope that I can get to press 40 soon. Currently running ROP Jurassic with a 28, but that volume is just too much I think for me. Which is why this plan looks appealing. But I will finish ROP and then move on to this one. Don’t want to leave a program mid way ;)

What I'd recommend for you:

Retest your rm after the ROP. Chances are your 3rm may be a 5rm by then

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom