all posts post new thread

Barbell Question regarding PTTP and martial arts training...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JoshuaH86

Level 4 Valued Member
Hey guys,
I'm switching back to a PTTP routine tomorrow, bench (because I'm lacking in the horizontal press/chest development department!), snatch-grip DL and of course, abs. I'll be utilizing the step cycle.
For the past month or so I've been following a program with heavy triples for dead, squat and KB C&P, plus lateral raises (Beyond Bodybuilding style!), three days a week + Janda sit-ups on the Pavelizer 2 and full contact twist. 5-6 days a week I've been training forms and heavy bag work, for about 45-60 min. All with good results...so what I'm asking is, once I switch back to PTTP, will heavy bag training hinder my cycles if I don't work to fatigue?

You have quite a few variables there. Offhand I'd say it's nearly impossible for anyone who isn't you to answer your question about not-to-failure heavy bag work in your planned next cycle.

One question that comes to my mind after reading your post, though, is - Is in support of your martials arts? If it is, then keep the weight lifting in its proper place.

-S-

What is your martial art? I train bjj and i find pttp is a good compliment to my sport a few days a week but if i started adding all the other fluff you talk about it would take away from my ability on the mat.

Well, I don't limit myself to one style. I practice and employ components of boxing, Muay Thai, and Savate, in addition to more classical self defense techniques. As a matter of fact, I also have a background in BJJ. I take my training seriously and I believe to really be good at it, an hour a day is not bad for kicks, punches, elbows and footwork. Days I train groundwork are light days for stand up. There is no fluff, it all has a purpose. I'm just curious weather or not anyone has advice or experience for training PTTP and heavy bag training during the same period.

Bjj 3x a week pttp 3x a week. Im a father of 4 and work a full time physical job so i dont have time for much else.

I have trained thai boxing and pttp together years ago with similar frequency and found it pretty easy to recover from as well, very little bag work but lots of pad work on mitts/kick shelds etc.

For me pttp mixes well with martial arts, where lots of higher rep kettlebell stuff seemed to take away.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom